What Dinosauria pieces do you want Sideshow to make?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we did get both for the Rex...I figure a stand alone Trike is also a possibility. I guess it just depends..the Carnotaurus could have been paired with an Amargasaurus for a VS Dio and been really awesome..but I love the maquette as well.

The problem with an Anky maquette is that when not fighting for mating or survival they are like large armored cows that just stand around chewing.

Essentially, yes. They're large herbivores with a good measure of potential for posing, but most plausibly they were just habitual grazers most of the daylight hours.

I don't see a standalone Trike as very likely, as SS wouldn't be able to release an exclusive.

From what I've been gathering from PT, it sounds like it'll be a maquette. Otherwise we'd be getting more along the pipeline about an Ouranosaurus as well. I'm still hoping it's a Stegosaurus to be unveiled in the VS dio with Allosaurus, or some manner of iguanodontid being assailed by a Utahraptor or two. :rock

Just got to thinking and sounded possible..the Spino would be awesome attacking a Ourano and help get away from the Spino-eats-fish or catches-fish look you see everywhere now. I thik it was Keith Strasser who did a Spino vs Ourano piece ages ago.

Stego vs Allo is classic ! and I'm hoping the Allo is portrayed well if he's to be in a VS Dio.

Raptors are long overdue for this line as well and should show up next year.

Just got to thinking and sounded possible..the Spino would be awesome attacking a Ourano and help get away from the Spino-eats-fish or catches-fish look you see everywhere now. I thik it was Keith Strasser who did a Spino vs Ourano piece ages ago.

Stego vs Allo is classic ! and I'm hoping the Allo is portrayed well if he's to be in a VS Dio.

Raptors are long overdue for this line as well and should show up next year.

I think having a Spino tackling an Oranosaur might actually serve to confound people and perpetuate the inaccuracies rampant throughout the JPIII disaster as to what most spinosaurids were in life - primarily massive piscivores. Granted, it's likely they took down small herbivorous dinosaurs as well, but they weren't built to tackle the large, dangerous herbivores that, say, Carcharodontosaurus or T.rex could have dispatched with much greater ease.

An Allo VS Stego piece is extremely likely, as is a lone maquette for either of the two.

Raptors are certainly down the road.

The exclusive could be a problem...but Ireally think Triceratops could be done as a seperate piece. It has the popularity factor , and could be portrayed differently than in the Dio..maybe near a stream or plain and rearing and bellowing like some large herbivores today....maybe with the new spiked-back look. I really wish the Styrac had been shown bellowing since it had it's head up as well.

I don't really see Ouranosaurs as being that dangerous..Spinosaurus and Suchomimus def had the claws to rip them open with. Like any predator it prob would have attacked young , old or sick much moreso than a young bull...but it certainly could have been possible in some case I imagine.

Of course I also like the idea of two sailed dinos attacking each other...lol which brings to mind a future piece possibility....predator vs predator.

The exclusive could be a problem...but Ireally think Triceratops could be done as a seperate piece. It has the popularity factor , and could be portrayed differently than in the Dio..maybe near a stream or plain and rearing and bellowing like some large herbivores today....maybe with the new spiked-back look. I really wish the Styrac had been shown bellowing since it had it's head up as well.

I don't really see Ouranosaurs as being that dangerous..Spinosaurus and Suchomimus def had the claws to rip them open with. Like any predator it prob would have attacked young , old or sick much moreso than a young bull...but it certainly could have been possible in some case I imagine.

Of course I also like the idea of two sailed dinos attacking each other...lol which brings to mind a future piece possibility....predator vs predator.

People could argue on the same grounds that a zebra is not a dangerous animal simply because it lacks horns, though I assure you such an assumption is incorrect. Animals achieve that size evolutionarily for defense. Predators are less apt to take on creatures much larger than them, and Ouranosaurs were not small creatures by any means; granted it's the Red Queen hypothesis all over again with the evolutionary arms race, and as herbivores grow large, carnivores either grow comparably large or evolve sufficiently large weaponry to dispatch the herbivores in question. In order for those thumb claws to disembowel another animal, that would mean the spinosaurid must get those arms, and resultantly head as well, close to the underbelly of herbivores like Ouranosaurus, putting itself in dangerous range of those powerful legs. It's not practical. Just think about what an awkward attack strategy that would be. Large spinosaurids, by no means fast animals, would first have to catch the prey, but then dispatch them as well. It's a messy business to disembowel a living creature, and that alone doesn't always kill the organism. Disemboweling is usually done in conjunction with a maneuver intended to kill quickly, or after the prey is deceased. Prey animals have been known to live for incredible lengths of time before dying once disemboweled, depending upon the extent of the injuries and number of blood vessels severed. I read of a Cape buffalo which warded off not only a pack of lions but marauding hyenas as well for over an hour... all while its intestines were trailing beneath it. The spinosaurid would have to successfully ambush the herbivore and knock it from its feet in order to reach that underbelly safely. Plus, how then does it quickly dispatch its meal without risking injury to itself? Carnivores often aren't brimming with bravado; if they find the risk of injury in taking a kill to be too great, they abort the attempt.

Some have made the argument, "but the conical teeth are just like crocodiles which take out large, dangerous herbivores AND carnivores regularly, so clearly spinosaurids could have done the same!" Such an argument is specious and, unfortunately, uneducated. There is no known spinosaurid with bite strength even the slightest bit comparable to crocodilians. The teeth could anchor and rend with that characteristic S-shaped neck, but they weren't meant for slicing nor crushing, with a relatively weak bite strength among carnivores.

With spinosaurids attacking large herbivores being successfully debunked, we can think of what such creatures were built to tackle. Most spinosaurids have necks designed for very rapid movement, snapping outward like a snake from a poised position. The teeth, not capable of carving out a massive flesh wound nor punching through bone, could anchor and hold onto flesh extremely well. Those massive thumb claws, certainly adept at grasping, could eviscerate as well. Think of a spinosaurid standing in a river, stream, beach, or swamp, waiting for an adequate feast. A large fish swims past and that neck shoots forward; the teeth find purchase and the neck retracts, pulling the fish from its watery home and into the air where it can do naught but gasp and flail. As the fish is held aloft, those thumb claws latch on, rapidly pulling downward as the head wrenches backward. The fish is gutted and pulled apart with relative ease and extreme efficiency.

Spinosaurs eating small herbivores? Sure. Spinosaurs eating fish of virtually any size they desires? Most definitely.

Last edited:
I should probably clarify my statement..lol

Ouranosaurs are prob as dangerous as north american hadrosaurs...no bite, claws, ect.. but I didn't mean to say they were defenseless though. Bulk and herd behaviour def helps..and a kick from one prob could broken ribs, leg bones, ect..

An old, sick or juvenile, seems to me could have been easy prey for any carnivore of appropriate size. Fish may not have been available year round..maybe it was more like bears. Bears feast during salmon runs ..their claws make good fishing gear..but can also handle other prey items.

I've seen fish that were no bigger than a couple feet that pulled people off their feet... Spinos would have had to have had some strength to hold and deal with struggling fish . What I have seen a lot of sculptors doing is putting Spinosaurs with huge fish like gar pikes..a fish of that size and temperment would not be an easy catch at all.

If backed into a corner I like to think ole' Spiney could handle himself pretty well. An ambush or two on the same animal with those Freddy-like claws it would only have to wait for the prey to bleed to death. All of that takes into account the fact predators have very low success rates anyway.

Arguing is pointless of course..but I like to keep an open mind...carnivores are creatures of oppertunity. So I can think of several scenerios were the oppertunity for a Spino to gulp down dino flesh in addition to it's normal diet fish is a possibility is all.

Last edited:
I should probably clarify my statement..lol

Ouranosaurs are prob as dangerous as north american hadrosaurs...no bite, claws, ect.. but I didn't mean to say they were defenseless though. Bulk and herd behaviour def helps..and a kick from one prob could broken ribs, leg bones, ect..

An old, sick or juvenile, seems to me could have been easy prey for any carnivore of appropriate size. Fish may not have been available year round..maybe it was more like bears. Bears feast during salmon runs ..their claws make good fishing gear..but can also handle other prey items.

Herd defense aside, these creatures would likely have been bruisers even when taken alone. A large carnivore could certainly make a meal of it, but that's with carnivores specifically designed to dispatch healthy animals of that size. The young and infirm are the first targets for any carnivorous organism, not just piscivores which also live as opportunistic scavengers.

The example of North American Brown bears isn't appropriate, though. You have to keep in mind that those animals live in an environment with extensive periods of cold throughout the year which is inclement for most osteichthyan fish species, and all bulk-calorie load osteichthyans. Brown bears target salmon not just because they're there, but you have to take note of what they eat - most often the skin and eyes only when the fish are abundant, being that these are the most calorie-rich portions of the fish. Gharials, however, devour the entire fish. By far the most apropos example is the heron which also consumes the entire fish and shares a number of morphological and anatomical features with spinosaurids.

I'm not saying that spinosaurids weren't formidible and impressive. I'm simply stating a fact - they weren't built to withstand the stresses of struggling large prey organisms, and lack the tools to swiftly kill large animals with a minimum of damage to themselves. If you look at carnivores there is a relationship between their body plan and what they specialize in predating upon. Allosaurids and Tyrannosaurids were, quite simply, built to deliver devastating attacks to animals up to and even widely surpassing their own size. Spinosaurids couldn't cleave out a massive chunk of flesh and tear off a limb, quickly disabling a large herbivore and rendering it prone for the kill.

Spinosaurids could definitely kill the weak and infirm considering the minimal defense encountered, but even that would be a calculated risk for these animals.

Going back to the Brown bear and salmon analogy, bear claws can't be made comparable to spinosaurid claws. Spinosaurid claws are more akin to raptor talons, designed for spearing and anchoring. Bear claws vary widely from species to species depending upon the ecology of the bear. Black bears have claws suited for foraging and climbing, Polar bears have claws suitable for snaring and slicing flesh, and Brown bears have claws like shovels which could tear into meat with as much efficiency as they would dig for roots and suitable plant and insect life. Bear claws range from highly specialized (as seen in Polar bears) to the highly generalized (as seen in the Brown bear). Spinosaurid claws could be compared to extant raptors, not surprisingly, in numerous ways, and were very, very lethal. There's no disputing that. It's the claws in conjunction with the cranium, the neck, and the rest of the body plan which allow for us to hypothesize how these creatures would have fed. Also, keep in mind that a great number of spinosaurid species would have inhabited either coastal or wetland regions, wherein there would be a year-round abundance of aquatic prey.

If I had to place the role of most spinosaurids within a foodweb it would be as primarily piscivores, though opportunistic predators which scavenge regularly. Scavenging would have been an extremely lucrative lifestyle for these large-bodied organisms which evolved a number of features to make themselves appear quite large.

I've seen fish that were no bigger than a couple feet that pulled people off their feet... Spinos would have had to have had some strength to hold and deal with struggling fish . What I have seen a lot of sculptors doing is putting Spinosaurs with huge fish like gar pikes..a fish of that size and temperment would not be an easy catch at all.

If presented with the opportunity and good fortune to grab a fish of that size, it would most certainly be a relatively routine catch and swift kill for an animal designed like a Spinosaurus. Gharials and herons are NOT by any means heavily built animals, but they can both catch and kill extremely large fish compared to their own body mass and devour it quite quickly. The reason people can be pulled off their feet is because they aren't catching those fish you spoke of with jaws of cone-like teeth or hands equipped with gaff-hook-like claws. Humans are not anatomically evolved for the express purpose of catching fish, as spinosaurids were indeed. The most common prey of S.aegypticus that I've seen in paleoart is the coelocanth, though the point being that the reason such enormous fish are presented is because they are being presented in conjunction with extremely large and heavy spinosaurids which require massive amounts of such flesh to subsist upon. These are multi-ton organisms which require meals dense in calories to support themselves. That means large fish. Even a number of shark species would not have been off the menu of coastal spinosaurids hunting within the surf.

If backed into a corner I like to think ole' Spiney could handle himself pretty well. An ambush or two on the same animal with those Freddy-like claws it would only have to wait for the prey to bleed to death. All of that takes into account the fact predators have very low success rates anyway.

Hey, I can tell you from experience that in the handling of domestic pets, one of the most dreaded dogs to come through the doors of veterinary clinics is the chihuahua. The smaller the dog, the bigger the attitude. Some of those little demons can make mean German Shepherds look like newborn kittens. :lol

Again, the life of an ambush predator of terrestrial herbivores wasn't a plausibly lifestyle for the really enormous Spinos. They needed far too many calories to survive to make a living that way. 1.) They lacked the tools to quickly kill large terrestrial prey. 2.) They were far too large to regularly consume vast quantities of small, fleet-footed herbivorous dinosaurs, each providing a low calorie meal in comparison to the Spino's mass. For smaller spinosaurids like Baryonx, which were likely much faster than their larger cousins, pursuing small herbivores is a pretty good likelihood. I'd put the bigger blokes more in the scavenging range. When not waiting in a body of water for their meal, the big guys probably took whatever they could get, be in the corpse of some unlucky herbivore or a small dinosaur caught unawares. However they could fill their bellies without risking enormous damage to themselves.

Those kills success rates for predators are extremely low for animals we know have anatomically evolved to specialize in specific prey organisms. For spinosaurids to tackle animals they weren't built to kill the kill success rate would be even lower. These were generalists grabbing whatever meals they could get without risking overt damage to themselves. Their evolutionary success makes me think they weren't exactly starving their way throughout history. :lol

...carnivores are creatures of oppertunity. So I can think of several scenerios were the oppertunity for a Spino to gulp down dino flesh in addition to it's normal diet fish is a possibility is all.

That sums it up well. They were opportunists which supplemented their piscivorous menu with whatever meat they could sink their claws or jaws into. Can't wait to see what the SS piece looks like! :rock

My younger cousin is pretty thrilled with the Spino as a choice as well. I made a deal with him with I started this line, that if they made a Spinosaurus I would pay half of it and he would earn the rest so it would be both of ours..I know how to care for them and he can come down and look at it...lol

My younger cousin is pretty thrilled with the Spino as a choice as well. I made a deal with him with I started this line, that if they made a Spinosaurus I would pay half of it and he would earn the rest so it would be both of ours..I know how to care for them and he can come down and look at it...lol

That is one fantastic scam. :D Wish I could convince loved ones to go in halfsies with me on my collectibles. Sadly, I don't ever see that happening. :lol

Almost forgot, on a related note, this little tidbit showed up in the 12/01/09 edition of "Ask Sideshow"...

Q: I very much like your T-REX maquette, but I think it’s a little small, and I hope you make T-REX bigger (especially 16-inch 1:20 scale), and I really hope you will make more offerings of T-REX!

A: Great suggestion, and we’re definitely thinking alike!

Let the speculation begin...

I'm personally hoping for a few different things here. As we already have a maquette, I hope this means there are future plans for one of the following: 1.) A T.rex bust of some sort, which would also signal an expansion of the line and offer more direction for we collectors. Think of a T.rex head in LSB format. :drool 2.) A JP T.rex maquette

Either of these would make me happy, though I would be very intrigued to see what SS could do with busts of a decent scale.

That is one fantastic scam. :D Wish I could convince loved ones to go in halfsies with me on my collectibles. Sadly, I don't ever see that happening. :lol

Heh, call it what you will..lol He needs help to get it and I have the space and it teaches him responsibility...builds character too.. :D

Almost forgot, on a related note, this little tidbit showed up in the 12/01/09 edition of "Ask Sideshow"...

Q: I very much like your T-REX maquette, but I think it’s a little small, and I hope you make T-REX bigger (especially 16-inch 1:20 scale), and I really hope you will make more offerings of T-REX!

A: Great suggestion, and we’re definitely thinking alike!

Let the speculation begin...

I'm personally hoping for a few different things here. As we already have a maquette, I hope this means there are future plans for one of the following: 1.) A T.rex bust of some sort, which would also signal an expansion of the line and offer more direction for we collectors. Think of a T.rex head in LSB format. :drool 2.) A JP T.rex maquette

Either of these would make me happy, though I would be very intrigued to see what SS could do with busts of a decent scale.

On the low side it could just be that the guy answering questions likes T-Rex and would like bigger ones himself..not necessarily a direction for the line . On the plus side it could be a larger full body T-Rex maybe something like OXMOX's Rex Dio ( but wouldn't that take away from current pieces ? ) , a really large Rex bust would be awesome..packing all that detail into a head sculpt would be awesome ( if it doesn't flake ), a JP Rex maquette... I think I have that covered : https://galileon.deviantart.com/art/T-REX-137411349

Depending on the price of course..lol

From "Ask Sideshow" 12/3:

Love the Dinosauria line! I’m really wishing to see some aquatic dinos! Perhaps a Plesiosaur! To make it even more mind-numbingly cool, perhaps a diorama VS another Sea Dino?

Yes, we’re definitely thinking alike! Winged dinos too!

:fireworks

This line is awesome and it just keeps getting better. There is no other way to describe it.

... a JP Rex maquette... I think I have that covered : https://galileon.deviantart.com/art/T-REX-137411349

Depending on the price of course..lol

Nice. I have something in the pipeline as well. ;) Would still be nice to have one from SS.

I'm going to hold out hope for an additional direction for the line. BUSTS ARE A MUST! :rock

From "Ask Sideshow" 12/3:

Love the Dinosauria line! I’m really wishing to see some aquatic dinos! Perhaps a Plesiosaur! To make it even more mind-numbingly cool, perhaps a diorama VS another Sea Dino?

Yes, we’re definitely thinking alike! Winged dinos too!

:fireworks

Saw that. Outstanding, is it not? I know they're pandering with the marine and winged "dinos" but instead of reptiles, but as long as the wheels are turning and some marine and aerial reptiles are in our future.

Back