What Dinosauria pieces do you want Sideshow to make?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think a marine dio or maquette is very feasible.

How big did those prehistoric crocodiles get? That one looks massive (as most things seemed to be back then).

Yeah, I think a marine dio or maquette is very feasible.

How big did those prehistoric crocodiles get? That one looks massive (as most things seemed to be back then).

Depends largely upon the crocodilian. Deinosuchus probably closed in on around 32-35 feet in length, with Sarcosuchus slightly larger around 40 feet. Both had skulls around 5-6 feet in length, Sarcosuchus around 6, and weighed in at 9-10 tons. They were monstrous in proportion. Nat Geo did a nice piece on Sarcosuchus recently.
supercroc-vs-dinosaur-688947-sw.jpg

Yeah, the spinosaurids are probably too popular to ignore nowadays. That reminds me, I need to get follow up with Shane Foulkes. He said he wanted to sell his products in my store, and he's supposed to be working on a brand new Spinosaurus.

Yeah, the spinosaurids are probably too popular to ignore nowadays. That reminds me, I need to get follow up with Shane Foulkes. He said he wanted to sell his products in my store, and he's supposed to be working on a brand new Spinosaurus.

Spinosaurids are truly awesome dinos, but my concern is that they enjoy popularity today for the wrong reason - JPIII.:monkey4

Spinosaurids may be popular because of JPIII but they are pretty cool. I'd love to see one. Isn't there a herbivore with a sail thingy on its back? What's that called?

Give us a Dimorphodon Sideshow!

Did you perhaps mean the sail-backed Dimetrodon? Not saying that a Dimorphodon wouldn't be cool, but it was a rather diminutive flying reptile and not as well known as a pteranodon or quetzlcoatlus.

I think the herbivore with the sail-back was Ouranosaurus which you can see a couple of in the background of the Nat Geo pic.

Ok, off the podium.:eek:

No, that's not the one I'm thinking of. I was thinking of one that walked around on four legs. I just remember having a toy one as a kid, so it may not have existed. :lol Thanks for helping and pointing out the ones in the background though.

Did you perhaps mean the sail-backed Dimetrodon? Not saying that a Dimorphodon wouldn't be cool, but it was a rather diminutive flying reptile and not as well known as a pteranodon or quetzlcoatlus.

I think the herbivore with the sail-back was Ouranosaurus which you can see a couple of in the background of the Nat Geo pic.

Ok, off the podium.:eek:

No, I meant Dimorphodon, the small flying reptile. However, Dimetrodons are pretty awesome as well. Dimorphodons were one of my favorites as a kid. I guess I was a strange kid.

One of my favorites too, even over the the better-known flying reptile species which is why I remember the name. That would be a long shot if SS ever produced one.

Hmm...as for the sail-backed herbivore my second guess would be the Permian era reptile, Edaphosaurus which wasn't contemporary with the Spinosaurids. The sail-backed sauropod Amargasaurus is a more recent find.

Last edited:
The two I would probably like to see the most would be an Allosaurus Maquette and a Utahraptor Maquette.

The reason I picked the Utahraptor is cause I loved the Velociraptors in the Jurassic Park movie and I found out that the Velociraptors in the movie were really based off Utahraptors. I didn't realize Velociraptors were so small in reality.

The two I would probably like to see the most would be an Allosaurus Maquette and a Utahraptor Maquette.

The reason I picked the Utahraptor is cause I loved the Velociraptors in the Jurassic Park movie and I found out that the Velociraptors in the movie were really based off Utahraptors. I didn't realize Velociraptors were so small in reality.

I remember reading something about how the Raptors were going to be a little on the small side, but Spielberg didn't like how they looked so he asked to make them around six feet tall. Shortly after the movie was released a six foot raptor was discovered in Utah, hence Utahraptor. p.s. I would love to see a Stegosaurus from SSC.

I remember reading something about how the Raptors were going to be a little on the small side, but Spielberg didn't like how they looked so he asked to make them around six feet tall. Shortly after the movie was released a six foot raptor was discovered in Utah, hence Utahraptor. p.s. I would love to see a Stegosaurus from SSC.

The Velociraptors in the movie were originally intended to be Deinonychus-sized - about the size of a Timber wolf. It's a large raptor (and the size they subsequently were in TLW) but the size of the females, particularly the big female, in JP was definitely closer to that of Utahraptor, given credence by the Utah find.

I'd buy a Dimetrodon before an Edaphosaurus. Edaphosaurs were fodder for Dimetrodons which were alpha predators of their time and famous for their unusual sails and heterodont dentition. If anyone has actually had the opportunity to examine the bones up close, you know that these were just brutes, carnivores that you would most definitely not want to encounter in their element. Lots of opportunity for creativity with the sail and pose, so it does seem like there's better likelihood here. I'd happily get a Dimetrodon, even if this synapsid is not a dinosaur... it's one of those instances where the prehistoric animal is so cool that it definitely warrants attention as a statue, and elevates my hopes that the line won't focus solely upon dinosaurs.

On a related topic, Todd Marshall does some excellent paleoart. His Dimetrodon is a personal favorite depiction of mine for this Pelycosaur.
Dimetrodon.jpg

He's also rendered a number of animals we've been discussing. His Spinosaurs are also my favorite artistic renditions of the animals. If SS does S.aegypticus, they would do well to have a look at Todd's work.
Spinodetail.jpg

tm_spinosaurus.jpg

Spino_v4.jpg

spinover3.jpg

And a Sarosuchus that I also enjoy immensely, coupled with an unfortunate Nigersaurus.
SarcoNiger.jpg

The man is a marvel with bringing the animals to life through his work. I sincerely hope SS branches out to all manner of prehistoric fauna and not just dinosaurs, even though dinosaurs alone would provide them with a glut of material.

Nice finds, Scar. I love Marshall's art; they would make for some pretty dangerous statues, though. All ornery and stuff.

Nice finds, Scar. I love Marshall's art; they would make for some pretty dangerous statues, though. All ornery and stuff.

That they would, but they'd be worthwhile collectibles, would they not? Sideshow's been known to tackle sharp-cornered pieces. Their Lord of the Rings line (and much of my collection) is rife with such statues. :D

Ouch. So they're not susceptible to paint rub or anything at the tips? I'd love to see it. Maybe SS will even bring Marshall aboard for a statue.

Ouch. So they're not susceptible to paint rub or anything at the tips? I'd love to see it. Maybe SS will even bring Marshall aboard for a statue.

I haven't had any issue with mine. They've been on the shelves for a good number of years now without issue. Marshall would be a fine addition to the team. :rock

Back