Sideshow Avatar build.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phastroh

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have in the last year built a custom shelf for my Vader and 2 Cantinas. I have also half finished my Speeder Bike shelf but now I am starting a whole new project that's at this point out of my skill set although I say that not really knowing my full potential.

So far my 3 projects came out very good so I have already made plans and started this next one. It is mostly because I refuse to pay $400-$950 for this statue and came across a body, head and gun hand for about $135 all shipped from Orlando, which is close to me, Canada and Europe. All I am missing is the tail, stand and the upper grenade belt and knife pieces.

I purchased the HT version as well for only $160 but while a couple hundred more could of got me one whole statue for far less I'll have both and I'm betting my base will be far better than the one it comes with.

So let me explain my project and I'll post pix as I go along and I've never did anything like this.

1) Build a custom lit base
2) Make a tail unless I find one
3) Use HT chest pieces

So I started by deciding to use a round base or square but I have yet to decide. I may go with a triangle for all I know but unless I see something in the film that means something I can use then it will likely be round.

I have already cut the square notch out of a piece of wood that will be one of the 2 pieces of wood I will use for a balancing piece. In the photo I just propped it up on my lava rock. In the photo you see it is actually pretty stable as is. I am going to recut another wood because I want the square tighter but it's only slightly to wide but really it's fit is great, it's not but barely large in one spot so maybe I can caulk it.

I'm going to make a plus sign from it or possible use 2 crosswoods. I'll glue and screw it into a 1/4 MDF board that a rough cut circle that will sit on the round piece on saw in the craft store. Once it's all done I'll be able to countersink screws from the bottom and go right into the MDF. Perfect.

The 2 cross pieces will sit under the one the foot fits into to accommodate the metal peg but I'll put some smaller piece along it to make it flat. Future pix will help visually my description but I'm just explaining it.

So one the landing foot wood is in place which will be more for long term stability as you'll see why, I'll have the wood and base rough circle all nailed or screwed together. I will then take it and place it in a container carefully taping off the peg hole and filing it with the stuff. Only the areas close to the center I'll be sure it's solid foam.

The next step is carving the rock(s) which I'll have a rendering of either from something I found online or drew myself. I'll be copying foliage from the HT base and using blue LEDS to light it most likely onto the lower portion of the statue. I have a Blue LED fixture from a small bowl fish tank that has a plug in adapter so a little drilling in the foam and it has a plug in adapter just like a professional lol The plant life will be used to hide any mess ups if any.

So that's the plan for the base. I think it's doable and if goes as planned be better than the stand it came with which isn't bad anyway. IMG_9943.jpg

Due to the fact the SS and the HT are roughly the same height I'm going to see how the grenade and knife belts fit and then just buy those off eBay. Pretty sure they'll be good. If not oh well but it should be close enough for me to be happy.

I was considering the HT tail but it's on the body for sale so eh plus it's kind of boring compared to the one the SS comes with. That will be the last thing I tackle.

So today I got started. Bought my foam Stuff and got a round base. Here are some progress photos if you are interested.

In the photo you see the L shaped piece and once this was done I added the extra pieces for support.

The statue does lift up a little in the front where it's front foot rests. Foam will be over that area. I'll attempt to give it a nice shape to test the foot on. I may likely still raise this piece up onto a larger flat pieces for 2 reasons the main one being stability because screws through the bottom help that a lot and the other it the peg pokes out like 1/16 so raising it up on 1/4 will relieve that and allow the statue to sit firm.

More to come. IMG_9996.jpgIMG_9999.jpgIMG_0001.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

I added the flat bottom piece and drilled it for the peg but unfortunately the nail I put in near the square hole split the wood but the foam will cover it anyway. I plan the have an extremely thin layer of foam around the square hole anyway and the foot will cover any issues but after paint and all it will just look normal. If I had to pick anything I would say the landing for the front foot is more important. It's pretty stable now anyway but the foam rock will add more support.

IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpg

Added an small extra support next to foot much much much more stable. Time for foam ugh I'm a bit nervous. I'll do a test rock first heh
IMG_0017.jpg

I built a square frame minus a front piece. Filled it with one can of foam so I'll now start carving my rock.

IMG_0020.jpg

I'll be adding more details later and I'm no sculptor but the idea is to have grass on the left as you can see how I went up under to have it hang over and then a little by his front foot. The rest is mainly rock maybe sparse grass or a native bush next to his front foot in the grass.

I am confident when it's detailed a little more naturally in so areas and textured and painted it will be pretty good. I may paint the wood base blue lol I'll see or black or even chrome.

Thanks for looking.

Ok I got some more details done especially along the front. On top of that I really worked how it blended into the right side where the more stone side is. I have a big flat spot somewhat on purpose and I will use some pieces and attach them there. I'm really getting excited with how it's turning out so far. Here's to finishing a little more and moving on to paint. I'll not just paint til I've settled on the color grass location and if I'm doing and tree or bush.

IMG_0035.JPGIMG_0036.JPGIMG_0037.JPGIMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0040.JPGIMG_0041.JPGIMG_0042.jpg

I love the foam idea to create the rock !! cool idea! looking forward too see more !

I forgot I still have to texture it mostly so it's smooth. I need it to be a bit more convincing as a rock in a few places. It won't reveal itself till it's painted though.

Honestly I wanted that right side a bit different but it is what it is now. Adding back some pieces will improve it and it will be more realistic that way.

So many may not notice but I went in a finalized the detail. I beveled some pieces and cut some spots flat do most of the rock matches. The rest I'll do through sanding whatever I use for the texture. This will fill in the holes and bubbles and give a great amount of control over the fine details.

It should really start to bring this thing to life before it's painted. I'm likely to go with a similar color scheme as the SS piece. I like it but in the film and screenshots I can't recall nor find images of any rocks like that. I bet it is straight out of the movie lol

That front Point like piece looks more prominent than in person. I've also considered shrinking that bottom to be more narrow or using left over to have a small stand alone bump or 2 next to it. It depends on how the texture looks. I think I said this before, I wish I didn't cut that right side so high up but I'll figure it out wether gluing foam additions or making it layered colorwise to show age.

I will likely fill the bottom sides with something so it appears to sit flatter or who knows but I think I'll get it looking good.

IMG_0050.jpgIMG_0051.jpgIMG_0052.jpgIMG_0053.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0055.jpgIMG_0056.jpg

If you follow the photos I'm sanding it smooth. It's leaving behind smooth yet almost like a natural rock formation albeit a soft one. There are some cracks it the surface but I may or may not fix them. It's somewhat neat looking. Very happy still with it.

Got my gun hand today so I had to clean out the mount hole for the foot for some test fit and pix. Spun it around it stands decently with no wobble but punching table it wobbles some. Can't help it though but it never even tilted over. With it being in a stand and having the side bumps I think if it ever fell it's more than likely staying on the base one way or another.

Anyone with experience or thoughts I'm all open to suggestions on whatever you see. Awe poop I didn't realize those ones were upside down. Sorry

IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0090.jpgIMG_0091.jpgIMG_0092.jpgIMG_0093.jpgIMG_0095.jpg

Painted it with a simple gray. 2-3 coats to darken it in some spots. I just don't feel it needs super detail to get the right look I want.

Had an issue with a bit of cracked spackle broke but it's fine I'll fix that then use a sealer when it's 100% right.

IMG_0109.jpgIMG_0108.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0105.jpg

Back