What Dinosauria pieces do you want Sideshow to make?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I am watching The Lost World and I'm almost certain we are getting a Stegosaurus at SDCC. The tease in the new video looks exactly like the Stego's tail! What do you guys think?

I think I'm still missing something. Where is this teaser video? Link?

I'd be thrilled with a Stegosaurus and a Triceratops. Those are the two I would definitely buy.

I'd also love a Velociraptor, and maybe a Parasaurolophus. I think an Iguanadon would also be a staple in the series due to it's historical importance.

Don't hold your breath for a Triceratops, being that we got the exclusive skull with the VS diorama. It's not a great likelihood that a Triceratops will be making a debut anytime soon. In terms of hadrosaurids, it would be very cool to see one eventually. An Edmontosaurus would be nice, but odds are since hadrosaurs were the favored prey for so many organisms, that that is how we will see them depicted. Either that, or possibly as doting parents, as possibly in a maquette of a Maiasaura with hatchlings. Iguanodon is a definite possibility, particularly when paired with Utahraptor in a diorama.

A little OT, but I have to share!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/5eQ3LDhGfpU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/5eQ3LDhGfpU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bkgr2kKnmH4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bkgr2kKnmH4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/6mvpVmXIbjU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/6mvpVmXIbjU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/YAju363IMAI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/YAju363IMAI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/XyxHX0ENZ14&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/XyxHX0ENZ14&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One of my earliest memories. Modeled by Phil Tippett (the SW guy). RIP Christopher Reeve. :monkey2

Wow, that took me back. I used to watch those again, and again, and again. T.rex vs. Centrosaurus is a particularly favored highlight. All of it was so very, very well done. Quite dark for a children's video. I think that's why it retains its appeal today. Wish that were out on DVD; it provides a better atmosphere, I think, than a lot of the dino specials which now chiefly rely upon CG. A that claymation has become lost art.

Wow, I still have all those tapes in box set. Also comes with a cool poster.

Personally I prefer the maquettes too with a ceratosaurus as my top pick. If it had to be a dio, then a ceratosaurus vs. a stego would be a must have. Second choice would be the dueling raptor and protoceratops, while my final choice would be the pliosaur liopleurodon preying on a plesiosaur. In all likelihood I suspect a stego maquette would be the next offering which is cool with me.

You and I are of quite like minds here, my friend. Ceratosaurus would be quite cool to see. Hell, I'd like a VS dio that encompassed a Stegosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Allosaurus all together! Now that would be quite a sight. Ceratosaurus was less and less common throughout the Jurassic due to Allosaurus. It was just outcompeted in every way for prey, and a lot of evidence leads us to believe that Allosaurus may even have preyed upon Ceratosaurs. Still, a very cool carnivore, and quite the aggressor as well. When we find herbivore skeletons from the Jurassic, a great measure of them bear the scars of confrontations with Ceratosaurs, disclosing that even though these were not the most common Jurassic carnivores roaming North America, they were still perhaps the most aggressive toward other animals in their environment. Quite the awesome carnivore.

A Liopleurodon, Kronosaurus, the Svalbard monster, or some other manner of pliosaur would be fantastic! And while I want a pterosaur of some variety as well, I think these would be neat...

20060515173333473.gif

20060515173344131.jpg

These make a great deal of sense since Pterosaurs were piscivores, dining principally upon fish. Plesiosaurs also had fish as the staple of their diet, and much like today, as birds and seals attack schools of fish and are attacked in turn by waiting sharks, pliosaurs would have acted very much in this fashion. There simply wasn't much that wasn't on the menu of these big fellas.
800px-Kronosaurus_hunt1DB.jpg

If not a pliosaur, then at least a mosasaur such as Tylosaurus dyspelor, which I would also like to see regardless. I have quite a lengthy wish list. :D

well sideshow already did my favorite dinosaur (carnotaurus) but i would love a giganotosaurus, but it would have to be fighting another meat eater cause i would love to show its scale, that guy is huuuge!

Actually, a recent find suggests T.rex may still have been larger than Giganotosaurus, and that a few other Carcharodontosaurids may have outpaced it as well. That being said, I'd love a maquette of this bad boy, or Carcharodontosaurus perched over the corpse of a sauropod.

Last edited:
Scar - Simply go to the main Sideshow page and hit the drop down menu for "recent videos." The tease is the first one in the list entitled Comic Con Tease 2009.

Let us know what you think it shows!

Just took a look at the teaser. Don't think it's a Stegosaurus. If you take a good look at the horn/spike on the left it appears to be branched or segmented. Now I could be wrong and perhaps the picture is obscured and it's another spike behind, but I don't think so. We don't know of any Stegosaurus spikes that have that sort of segmented build, so I find it extremely unlikely that it would be a Stegosaurus.

The horns/spikes are also far too narrow to belong to a Triceratops, so it seems as if we can, in all likelihood, put both of those possibilities to rest, barring again unless the Stegosaurus is suffering from a systemic osteological pathogen. It's still dubious. The realm of possibility remains open, but much narrower, I'd say.

Not a Stegosaurus (unless it is diseased) and not and definitely not a Triceratops.

Here's a picture of the mystery forthcoming Dinosauria collectible. Here you can see the unusual segmentation to which I was referring.

Picture2-2.png

I would like to see Megalodon made...baddest fish that ever roamed the sea's.....im not sure how you would do a dio for a fish though?

Chris

I would like to see Megalodon made...baddest fish that ever roamed the sea's.....im not sure how you would do a dio for a fish though?

Chris

YES! It would be just as easy to make as any piece for an aquatic marine reptile. I've been clamoring for this, even though Megalodon may not have even coexisted with dinosaurs. The oldest known teeth date back to around 20 mya. I have a seven inch tooth that dates back to about 10 mya, and another smaller tooth that I bought at auction from around 8-9 mya.

That being said, it's perhaps the grandest predator ever to live on this planet. A sixty foot long cousin of the Great White is truly a magnificent behemoth. If you enjoy Megalodon, I highly recommend the MEG series by Steve Alten, Chris. He takes some creative liberties, but it's written extremely well. Just got an autograph from Steve for my copy of Hell's Aquarium a few months ago, and a personal note he was kind enough to include for my mom since she's been sick.

I would love a diorama of a Megalodon in hot pursuit of a whale calf. Something along these lines would be awesome!
MegalodoninPursuit.jpg

I enjoyed Alten's first Meg book, but I found the second two to be lacking. Mostly I don't care for his writing, but they are exciting reads. I'm debating about whether to read the newest one.

I enjoyed Alten's first Meg book, but I found the second two to be lacking. Mostly I don't care for his writing, but they are exciting reads. I'm debating about whether to read the newest one.

The first was the one that I found a bit disappointing, whereas the second is a personal favorite and truly details the Megalodon well as the paragon of predatory creatures. The third really segued in to the fourth which, liberties aside with the fauna, is immensely entertaining, particularly with the two new Megalodons he has introduced which are also favorite characters of mine that he's created... yes, I tend to favor the animals much more than the human characters. Angel, Lizzy, and Bella are all some of the more interesting predators to be given literary attention via novels in recent years.

You have piranhas? Seriously? I didn't know you could buy them. That's pretty cool. Maybe a little creepy. You aren't going to go all Blofeld on us, are you? :lol

Wouldn't be the first time. Got pissed off at a friend once, held his hand in the water and counted down from 5. I think the fish were almost as freaked out as he was. :lol They're actually skittish around most people aside from me. Now a plump little goldfish or worm they'll jump right on. People just freak them out. They're not even pack hunters really. Their social behavior with other piranhas is sort of an "uneasy truce". They're quite territorial and feed off one another's fins, but huddle together a lot of the time. They evolved that way because they share their native waters with much larger fish that would be happy to take on individual piranha. A school of the little fellows, however... well, that's a lot of very, VERY sharp teeth with which to deal.

They're fun, for me at least. I like unusual pets. My next wish list pet is a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. "Shrimp" being a misnomer, as they aren't even closely related to shrimp and are far and away more advanced than any other crustacean. Their claws pack the impact strength of a .22 caliber bullet... that and they decimate anything else in a saltwater tank, so it would have to be just the Mantis Shrimp. Really pumped for that, but it may be a good while down the road, so for now it's just my piranhas, Bruce and Angel. :D

I think Sideshow should develop at least one marine reptile diorama. It would be interesting to see how they simulate the aquatic environment in a polystone sculpture.

Yes we were just discussing that. A pliosaur and plesiosaur could be spectacularly rendered.

I would expect a marine dio to look similar to the Creature from the Black Lagoon PF.

Spinosaurus or a spinosaurid(such as Suchomimus, Irritator or Baryonyx) maquette.

I'd be on board for a Bayonx or a Suchomimus, in which case we could always throw in a prehistoric crocodilian as well, either competing for prey, or...
such.jpg

I would expect a marine dio to look similar to the Creature from the Black Lagoon PF.

Which would be nice, would it not? It shows that such pieces are indeed plausible and it leaves open a wide range of possibilities there.

Back