What defines a Hot Toys 'DX'? And why the DX03 isn't really a DX at all

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also it should be kept in mind that this will have a DX price tag. ouch.

Well, the fact that Thriller MJ was hovering around $180 or so, whereas regular HT figs are around $130-140. Even at e-tailers, MJ DX will probably be $200+

This is a good thread and a question that I've been wondering but I'm kind of new to this collecting so I've enjoyed reading everyones posts to bring me up to speed on anything I missed.

Does anyone know how many DX figures HT plans on releasing within a calendar year?

They just started with the Dark Knight stuff right and they only did one (really) last year even though they showed both Batman and the Joker.

Two a year maybe?

I'm really hoping they don't do an IM DX this year because I've been putting off a purchase until they showed the next DX and also for the new IM2 stuff to hit.

Murphy's law but I'm pretty positive that if they are going to put out an IM DX it's going to be RIGHT after I purchase an IM, haha. At least if they waited until next year I would feel better about my purchase, not to mention my funds would be replenished. :)

Been reading more posts and a lot of accessories comments have been posted. Well that or the lack of shown for the DX 03.

I agree here and MJ does seem light in this category especially when you compare him to the Blade figure that's coming/out.

They pretty much jammed anything you would want in a DX Blade in that initial figure, besides the base. Of course, yes, there are a bunch more things you can package with Blade but on a comparison basis only, Blade seems much more complete and DX worthy. He would have been a perfect figure for the PERS system too, I guess when you wanted to display him without the sunglasses.

While this is true, I don't see this as any more (and it's arguably less) spectacular than one of the Exclusive T-600s with the light-up eyes, skin masks, working pistons, fingers, etc. Nor do I see it as being any more intricate than an Elder Predator (or any other Predator), neither of which were DX. So I'm thinking DX = PERS, light-up stand, pretty box and a jacked up MSRP.

Hate to quote something from the day before but it's pretty obvious that those items are what makes a DX a DX, though it took a third release to really sort it all out.... After all, those are the only things all three have in common..... Seems to me that with each piece, though all great looking figures, you're getting less and less bang for the buck as time goes. Joker>Batman>MJ...... Yet plenty of hype now surrounds the "DX" brand. I know some collectors that have said they're buying everything DX and to each their own but I can't see buying a bunch of unrelated figures simply because they're all stamped with the DX seal of approval :rolleyes:.

On a bit of a side note, the stand might be nice and all but I find it to be a distraction when displayed with my other figures.

Last edited:
Well, in my case,
this would be the first DX figure I'm buying...
As I said, I really don't care if they call it "SuperDuper" line...
This figure looks awesome, and I'm sure HT will deliver... I'm not going to panic... yet!
:lol

The whole DX shebang with this is just an excuse for them to jack the price past a regular MMS series figures. The HT folks arent silly, they must have dollar signs for eyes!

I'd have no problem with DX just being the stand and PERS, as long as they priced them accordingly. That's what I initially considered DX to be. This one would have to be $20-$40 less than DX Batman for that to be the case though. They probably should have just done DX MJ with a few different heads, more hand variety and several of his famous costumes. Then that would have been much more acceptable for the DX title.

PO for DX03 is out over my side.... its around 160usd....

DX01 = 205USD (two different sets of clothing)
DX02 = 190USD (3 Headsculpts + free oils for cooking)
DX03 = 160USD (got..got.. got??)

:eek:

i think everything is now a dx. they are not calling it mms anymore. dx sounds more prestigious and they can charge us more for it. :D

Back