What defines a Hot Toys 'DX'? And why the DX03 isn't really a DX at all

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As big a HT's fan I am their DX label is nothing short of a Gimmick! A gimmick (excuse) to make more money off of its die hard fans.

Although a gimmick and obviously not well thought out from the start its become a pick and choose situation. I couldn't care less either way. I own both TDK DX's and think they're amazing figures.

I won't get the DX03.

As big a HT's fan I am their DX label is nothing short of a Gimmick! A gimmick (excuse) to make more money off of its die hard fans.

Didn't want to admit it, but after seeing the specs for DX03 I tend to agree.

This figure is not DX worthy, at least what I thought DXs were going to be.

Well I guess now, HT can deem anything they want a DX but thats not what I pictured the line being. I thought of it as kind of a "best of the best" deal... like a hall of fame of sorts.

For a DX MJ at all, Thriller would have been the perfect and I feel obvious choice as his biggest success. Thriller era MJ is the best "deluxe" representation of MJ we could've had. Even with the "more complex" outfit it just doesnt seem well thought out and thats what I think most of us expect with the DX releases... figures that you don't have to struggle to see the value in. I was one that was disappointed with the accouncement that this was DX03 but it wasn't about it being MJ... but it was more like why this version of MJ?
He simply doesn't come with much to justfiy the DX label in alot of our minds, this thread supports that.

Didn't want to admit it, but after seeing the specs for DX03 I tend to agree.

This figure is not DX worthy, at least what I thought DXs were going to be.

Either way its a very nice looking figure. It will sell very well and all of its fans will be pleased.

Nothing wrong with that in my books.

I was just dissapointed it wasn't Rocky ................. I guess i'm too impatient. Or it may never come. Who knows.

Although a gimmick and obviously not well thought out from the start its become a pick and choose situation. I couldn't care less either way. I own both TDK DX's and think they're amazing figures.

I won't get the DX03.

Posted before I read this, but YES, you got it.

To me...DX means that HT put a lot of time in the R&D process, so now they want an above average return on investment.

Or, maybe that they don't give a crap about what can happen in the long run, and are trying to get every cent out of us until the 1/6th craze dies down.

Either way its a very nice looking figure. It will sell very well and all of its fans will be pleased.

Nothing wrong with that in my books.

I was just dissapointed it wasn't Rocky ................. I guess i'm too impatient. Or it may never come. Who knows.

Oh I agree. Looks to be a very solid figure, but should easily just be a regular M Icon release in my book. No question.

Rocky WILL be DX04 and Rambo WILL be DX05.
(I hope so anyway).

At first I thought maybe Hot Toys made this a DX so with the higher price tag, they could offset the MJ licensing fees a little. Then I look at MJ thriller and that logic flies out the window :lol

Oh I agree. Looks to be a very solid figure, but should easily just be a regular M Icon release in my book. No question.

(I hope so anyway).

I hope you're wrong.
I want a DX T-800 and T-1000! :monkey5

every figure comes with 6 hands as standard these days so they dont really count as extras to me! and that stand is part of the DX range anyway so its not essentially an 'extra' the only extra in this bundle is the pers and the plain old white shirt!

not good enough since it will be at least the same price as the previous DX's and look at all the extra accessories they came with!!

another non pers smooth criminal sculpt and suit would have made this a proper DX!

To me...DX means that HT put a lot of time in the R&D process, so now they want an above average return on investment.

Or, maybe that they don't give a crap about what can happen in the long run, and are trying to get every cent out of us until the 1/6th craze dies down.

You are probably right but there is no reason to be upset about that. (not saying you are) Business is business. If a company wants to grow they have to find creative ways to make more and more money. Every industry does the same but alot of them are not frowned upon for doing so.

(I hope so anyway).

:lecture HT's take notes. :D

DX seems to be more of a gimmick than an actual "line within a line".

At the moment, DX has not swayed me into a purchase.

I haven't bought a DX figure myself, but so far there do appear to be some common themes. Will that continue, I don't know. But the base and PERS are clearly a part of all 3 released so far.

I hope you're wrong.
I want a DX T-800 and T-1000! :monkey5

This is my most wanted figure to be announced. It DEFINITELY requires a DX treatment to encompass as much as possible in one set.

I would be happy with just an MMS release BD T800, but anything will do. The T2 line is going to wreck me.

You are probably right but there is no reason to be upset about that. (not saying you are) Business is business. If a company wants to grow they have to find creative ways to make more and more money. Every industry does the same but alot of them are not frowned upon for doing so.

I (and I assume others as well) expected some sort of consistency in the DX line. Right now, it seems like HT is all over the place that's all.
I'm not upset, in fact, I'll get this fig when it comes out. :D
However, I had hoped HT would use the DX label more sparingly.

Apart from the PERS (which the Mars Attacks figures also have), there's nothing that screams "deluxe" about this figure.

I (and I assume others as well) expected some sort of consistency in the DX line. Right now, it seems like HT is all over the place that's all.
I'm not upset, in fact, I'll get this fig when it comes out. :D
However, I had hoped HT would use the DX label more sparingly.

Apart from the PERS (which the Mars Attacks figures also have), there's nothing that screams "deluxe" about this figure.

Oh yeah and I agree with you, i've always said that DX is a gimmick and not well thought out. I would assume most here can agree with that too.

Also, something not many have mentioned, their DX boxes are beautiful. So thats also something to consider when adding up all the pluses I guess.

Oh yeah and I agree with you, i've always said that DX is a gimmick and not well thought out. I would assume most here can agree with that too.

Also, something not many have mentioned, their DX boxes are beautiful. So thats also something to consider when adding up all the pluses I guess.

True. :lecture
I see your reply, and counter with a "but the MJ Thriller box was also really nice"! ;)

I'm just jerking your chain. :p :eek:

:google:google:google

HT_MJ_Bad_PR09.jpg

The detail is amazing!!! :dunno

Back