What defines a Hot Toys 'DX'? And why the DX03 isn't really a DX at all

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mars Attacks figures aren't PERS are they? HT states they have "moveable eyes", but they are only side to side. PERS is more functional and more intricate. The Mars attacks figures have no eyelids. They're just eyeballs in sockets, whereas the figures with PERS require fine tolerances and engineering.

Last time I checked PERS was only side to side as well. You lift the back of the head off, toggle the lever to turn the eyes, and put the panel/head piece back on. :confused:

Nope,
PERS also moves up and down...

45-tn.jpg
46-tn.jpg
47-tn.jpg
48-tn.jpg

Pics from Cooltoy Review

Last edited:
The Cop Joker was 2 complete figures except for an extra body. Thriller was the same, but didn't have PERS or the light up base. So it would seem that those 2 elements are what HT uses to define PERS.

But the line is getting blurry - battle damaged Iron Man is almost a DX since you can make a clean or BD Iron Man from it. Just needs the base.

I would like to see:
-extra head
-complete dirty diana extra costume or the actual clothes plus smooth crminal outfit~
- mic

It does just appear to be a fancy wank wank stand and the moving eyes. I know there's not much that could come with this, but it does seem VERY lacking in the accessories department, and i don't believe it deserves to be DX'd. Moving eyes are a 'sowhat' type of thing with me, although cool. I think if they want to add them, they should just add them to any figure, or should make it a standard for figures. To jus throw them on this (as discussed, when considering thriller came with so much more) and whack a DX badge on it, seems a bit trife. Like they are just cashing in on the collectibility, people seem to associate with the DX. Weren't they supposed to be limited, when they first announced them?!
Keep in mind, also, that picture is a prototype and we arent gauranteed yet, of getting that quality or exact piece in hand

Last edited:
I think if they included another head with an expression that looks like he's singing or shouting or the like, that would make this package better.

I can only conclude that it must be extremely difficult to sculpt an expression on a figure for the simple reason I can only think of two examples where it s happened-Enterbays incredible version B Enter the Dragon and Leonidas.

Yep definitely needs a screaming headsculpt, I mean if you count how many times MJ screams or shouts throughout the video its almost in every scene.

You guys, I HAVE THE ANSWERS YOU WANT! After hours of staring at the letters 'D' and 'X' I suddenly realised!

WARNING:This may take you guys a while to get you head around, but please, don't do anything you'll regret if you get too confused and angry.

So, I'm sure you guys are familiar with the internet forum and messenger emoticon that looks like this:

XD_Smiley_by_JackerAbi53.jpg

this is often wrote as 'XD'

Today, at 18:56, I got a Facebook notification saying someone had commented on a photo of mine. I was shocked and disturbed by what happened next. I opened the email and in the middle of the page was "DX". I'm not sure if she messed up the XD emotion or not, but now it was clear. What does DX look like when you turn your head 90 degrees to the right. That's right, it is a very unhappy version of the XD emotion, like in this picture:

DXconspiracy.jpg

If you still don't see it try this:

DXconspiracy2.jpg

I thought that is it! I have found the answer! Collectors around the world pulled this face in confusion when they saw DX 03.

But then I looked closer. The eyes in the smiley are distinctly crossed. Could this relate to the figures? All the DX figures so far have had the new PERS system, and one thing I know about PERS is, it breaks easily. The eyes of the smiley are identical to how my DX Joker looked when the eyes broke.

(not my pic)
watermark.php

I don't know why Hot toys has done this, but it does explain the inconsistencies in the figures, and if it is not intended then it is one hell of a coincidence.

It seems that the DX is a PERS system and a light up base.
I say well done to Hot Toys for downplaying the DX.
When you shell out all that money for a MMS figure, it should be the best version it can be in the first place.

IMHO this figure is an extremely Disappointing DX 03. I was looking forward to a rambo or Jack Sparrow, which it seems hot toys is putting on hold. Oh well.:monkey2

Back