What defines a Hot Toys 'DX'? And why the DX03 isn't really a DX at all

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. :lecture
I see your reply, and counter with a "but the MJ Thriller box was also really nice"! ;)

I'm just jerking your chain. :p :eek:

Hehe don't forget the Godfather figure :lol I'm telling you man, not well thought out.

Then again they were at war with EB ............ if they weren't they would'nt have included so much imo.

They did mention (I think if I remember correctly) that the Thriller release was a tribute figure. Maybe that was the reason for the box and accessories.

Hhh.... MMMS/DX, doesn't really matter anymore.
All that matters are the awesome figs!
I am keeping my eyes on the ever increasing prices though. :(

I remember the "good 'ol days" of the $85 ALIENS Marines. :monkey2
Now everything's over $150!

But HT are renowned for their detail anyways? The detail on this does not justify it as DX worthy.

:lecture This is very true, just look at the Godfather figure as an example.

Damn straight. I paid $85 for my M65 Rambo and $81 for my Rambo III back in the day.

anyone else notice that HT threads around here are the only ones that list a product number?

Seriously who cares about MIS-09, MMS-118,etc. Is that how people refer to them instead of "Michael Jackson" or "Hellboy"?

"Hey joe bob did you pick up you XHSMP0072478 yet?"

:google:google:google

HT_MJ_Bad_PR09.jpg

The detail is amazing!!! :dunno

While this is true, I don't see this as any more (and it's arguably less) spectacular than one of the Exclusive T-600s with the light-up eyes, skin masks, working pistons, fingers, etc. Nor do I see it as being any more intricate than an Elder Predator (or any other Predator), neither of which were DX. So I'm thinking DX = PERS, light-up stand, pretty box and a jacked up MSRP.

Forgot about Mars Attacks also having PERS... and aside from not having PERS the Godfather is probably the most deluxe figure I've even seen.

Look at it from the reverse angle:

If HT wanted to do Bad MJ and make it stand out in someway considering the extensiveness of the previous Thriller release, PERS would be one way to go. MJ with PERS just seems to make sense, which ever way you look at it.

But if they hadn't branded it DX, and still added PERS, customers would expect PERS to be on all HT releases, and probably HT didn't think that would be a good road to go down yet.

After seeing this Jackson,im positive DX just means PERS,because this figure doesn`t come with as much as the 2 previous DX.

But HT are renowned for their detail anyways? The detail on this does not justify it as DX worthy.

The only one who decides what DX is, is HT... :dunno

Hhh.... MMMS/DX, doesn't really matter anymore.
All that matters are the awesome figs!
I am keeping my eyes on the ever increasing prices though. :(

Yeah no kidding... I miss my Marines... :monkey2

While this is true, I don't see this as any more (and it's arguably less) spectacular than one of the Exclusive T-600s with the light-up eyes, skin masks, working pistons, fingers, etc. Nor do I see it as being any more intricate than an Elder Predator (or any other Predator), neither of which were DX. So I'm thinking DX = PERS, light-up stand, pretty box and a jacked up MSRP.

It's pretty spectacular in my book...
look, this is all subjective...
I wouldn't pay a dime for Terminator Salvation figures...
they are great but I don't care for them, same here, to me this is an amazing figure, so it's worth it.
I don't care if it's DX, MMS or M Icon...

Forgot about Mars Attacks also having PERS... and aside from not having PERS the Godfather is probably the most deluxe figure I've even seen.

It still was a guy in a suit though...
with great accessories...

MJ is a guy in an amazing outfit... short of accessories...

Look at it from the reverse angle:

If HT wanted to do Bad MJ and make it stand out in someway considering the extensiveness of the previous Thriller release, PERS would be one way to go. MJ with PERS just seems to make sense, which ever way you look at it.

But if they hadn't branded it DX, and still added PERS, customers would expect PERS to be on all HT releases, and probably HT didn't think that would be a good road to go down yet.

I really doubt that. A fan of MJ is a fan of MJ. It's no different than people who bought the different John Connors or christ, all the Jokers and Batmans.

I never asked you, do you like this sculpt better than the smiling Thriller Jackson?

Do you even have to ask?Thriller is a great figure and all and Zombie is perfect but i don`t see much Jackson in the normal sculpt,terrible likeness imo.BAD looks better than i expected,and the white shirts is a huge bonus,i have nothing to complain about except a Microphone,i seriously thought a Mic would be a no brainer.

I still think HT saw how well the Michael Jackson's sold and made another one as fast as they could. Giving it a DX so people would jump on it straight away thinking they were getting something exceptional. Smart move by them. MJ the mass appeal that the Rockys, Rambos or even any Terminator figure has.

Is it that a DX has that something special? In this case "stereophonic hair". What will they think of next?

Other than that, maybe DX signals the last of the multiple versions of a figure, the ultimate version, but then I don't see them stopping at the Bad MJ.

Other than that, maybe DX signals the last of the multiple versions of a figure, the ultimate version, but then I don't see them stopping at the Bad MJ.

Yeah, surely they have to do a Beat It Micheal. How can you not do the legendary red zipper jacket? That is the Michael Jackson icon.

Good point. After DX Batman, and how the eyes didn't look so great on that release (IMO ofcourse), I was wondering how they would look on a normal face. They look awesome on MJ and I'm hoping eventually this is a feature implemented on all figures. Why not?

Good point. After DX Batman, and how the eyes didn't look so great on that release (IMO ofcourse), I was wondering how they would look on a normal face. They look awesome on MJ and I'm hoping eventually this is a feature implemented on all figures. Why not?

Didn't someone say they did that with the Mars Attacks figures? They weren't DX and nobody expects that to happen based off of those. :lol

The Mars Attacks figures aren't PERS are they? HT states they have "moveable eyes", but they are only side to side. PERS is more functional and more intricate. The Mars attacks figures have no eyelids. They're just eyeballs in sockets, whereas the figures with PERS require fine tolerances and engineering.

Back