What defines a Hot Toys 'DX'? And why the DX03 isn't really a DX at all

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
That 'Bad' MJ figure? Cool. Not a big fan of the guy himself, but I don't mind that he's the choice for the 3rd DX treatment.

What I'm concerned about is what Hot Toys considers a DX from this point on. What about that DX03 package makes it a DX? Is it PERS? Is that now the defining feature of the DX line? If so, that's the only thing that sets the 'Bad' DX03 apart. I just don't feel like it's actually a DX at all. It doesn't come with much and the only thing that sets it apart from the previous releases are the PERS eyes. That's it. Well, if you count the display base, which is really just a re-purposing of the TDK movie prop display design used for the first two DX figures (This reuse is something I have an issue with), then that's one extra thing.

The MJ Bad set doesn't come with much else:

HT_MJ_Bad_PR04.jpg

Consider the Thriller set and how much more it comes with. 2 heads, 2 whole outfits, full suite of hands -- and it's a REGULAR HT Icon release.

With the DX TDK figures, you might not have known what signified their 'DX' status, but there was so much stuff included, most of it new, that I'm sure no one would argue the deluxe title.

So, what does this mean for future DX releases?

That 'Bad' MJ figure? Cool. Not a big fan of the guy himself, but I don't mind that he's the choice for the 3rd DX treatment.

What I'm concerned about is what Hot Toys considers a DX from this point on. What about that DX03 package makes it a DX? Is it PERS? Is that now the defining feature of the DX line? If so, that's the only thing that sets the 'Bad' DX03 apart. I just don't feel like it's actually a DX at all. It doesn't come with much and the only thing that sets it apart from the previous releases are the PERS eyes. That's it. Well, if you count the display base (which is oddly still based on the TDK prop displays) then that's one extra thing.

The MJ Bad set doesn't come with much else:

HT_MJ_Bad_PR04.jpg

Consider the Thriller set and how much more it comes with. 2 heads, 2 whole outfits, full suite of hands -- and it's a REGULAR HT Icon release.

With the DX TDK figures, you might not have known what signified their 'DX' status, but there was so much stuff included, most of it new, that I'm sure no one would argue the deluxe title.

So, what does this mean for future DX releases?

Interesting point. Seems like, sans base and PERS, the Thriller Michael came with more.

Maybe the " DX " is just something to make the buyer feel like there getting something special. A normal figure has had a different base from the regular ( battle damaged iron man , predator etc ) and many figures have had extra parts so for now its just the PERS that are making the DX special.

Good thread. We've never been clear on what DX would mean. It seems like we're going to have to wait till DX10 before we can identify patterns and say with any confidence what is likely to be a DX in the future!

The base with this figure isn't what I'd call a straight reuse - looks like a different floor surface. The overall concept of a platform with 'spotlights' is the carry over and I don't see anything wrong with that.

However it would seem you're right. Other than PERS this figure doesn't have anything extra that you don't get with a regular MMS. Indeed it comes with less. Very strange.

I will admit that I'm not too familiar with this particular MJ character, but I've watched the music video read the other threads here and there are items that seem like a no-brainer for HT to include.

A second head sculpt should be mandatory for all DX releases, especially if it is something that a lot of regular releases include.

Common theme across all 3 DX releases appears to be:

1) A previously released character/person
2) PERS
3) Lighted Display Stand
4) HT sez so :lol

One thing to keep in mind, is that this does not come with a lot of extra items compared to the MJ Thriller, but the outfit seems much more complicated; which could also be a factor.

zzzzzzz...DX thread no.20........zzzzzzzzzz
Sorry fella but in answer to your question...who cares?!

I thought DX meant the ultimate figure with lots of accessories and when possible 2 heads... not just moving eyes and a different stand. Kind of lame if thats all it ends up being.

EDIT : Well.. about 18 posts in 30 seconds and galactiboy beat me to it about 4 posts up. :lol

The one other thing all 3 DX figures have been is improved or different versions of a character that has already been released.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree.

Marcus, Thriller MJ, BD Iron man, The GODFATHER, and the Rubber skinned T-600's seem more Deluxe than this.

Other than the Pers, there's really nothing else to base it on.
Even their Edward Scissorhands's outfit was more intricate.

*scratches head* :google

An extra white shirt does not a 'Dirty Diana' display make. PERS is cool. Base is meh for this figure. Thriller was all I needed anyway. The only other version I'd probably get is SMooth Criminal.

EDIT: I take it back. I guess a white shirt does make a 'Dirty Diana' MJ.
michael-jackson-dirty-diana-470109-look-rock.jpg

I think it's a DX because Hot Toys, the creators call it a DX...
It's not rocket science... :dunno

Okay, that's easy enough, but are you happy with the DX03 package overall?

Just because a place calls a cheeseburger a 'Deluxe hamburger with cheese' doesn't mean it's a deluxe.

anyone else notice that HT threads around here are the only ones that list a product number?

Seriously who cares about MIS-09, MMS-118,etc. Is that how people refer to them instead of "Michael Jackson" or "Hellboy"?

"Hey joe bob did you pick up you XHSMP0072478 yet?"

I wish HT had never created the DX label and just released the PERS figures without any special designation the way Enterbay does. People have just become obsessed with the whole DX thing. Anytime a new HT line or figure is announced almost immediately the discussion becomes DX this and DX that.

anyone else notice that HT threads around here are the only ones that list a product number?

Seriously who cares about MIS-09, MMS-118,etc. Is that how people refer to them instead of "Michael Jackson" or "Hellboy"?

"Hey joe bob did you pick up you XHSMP0072478 yet?"

That's exactly how I talk. :lol

So far it looks like like any second version of a release given DX status will come with loads of extras opposed to fresh DX releases where Hot Toys doesn't need to provide as many incentives because there is no one on the fence thinking 'Hmmm - I already own a version of this? Do I really need an upgraded one?'

How many of us found the selling point of DX01 to be the extra figure (cop) that came with it? Or DX02's multiple facial expressions and light up head? Paying the price for an upgraded, yet barebones version of something we already own can be a little more tough to swallow.

Last edited:
Back