What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Ready Player One in my reading que. I plan to read it while I'm on vacation in a couple weeks. I've heard nothing but good things about the book.

To keep the theme of this thread, I am reading Game of Thrones: A Song of Fire and Ice series. Should have book 2, A Clash of Kings, finished by the end of the week. Will take a break from the series when I'm on vacation to read RPO, then will finish the series after that.

Just to summarize Ready player one, I didn't enjoy it. The writing wasn't good. After the Martian I'll get back into GoT

Finished Mistborn book 2 and 3. Think I liked the first book best. Not sure I like the ending.

Also listened to Alloy of Law. Thought it would be harder to get into when mixing in guns and technology but I liked it. Shame it was a bit short.

Going back to The First Law books now. Got into a bit of a Reading slump awhile ago so mostly its been audio books the past months but now its time to start on The Heroes.

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store

Pretty good. It's about an out of work graphic designer (like me!) who goes to work at a 24 book shop for the night shift, and starts to unravel a mystery (not a murder mystery). It has secret societies, young professionals who work at ILM and Google (it's set in SF), and fun, interesting characters.

Nothing earth-shattering or mind-blowing, but a light, fun, interesting read.

559372ad158c2.image.jpg

There's only one way to find out...

Have you read Criminal or Incognito?

I've been buying the new softcover Criminal books as they've been coming out, very enjoyable. I have Incognito on my bookshelf but haven't had a chance to read it yet. With Marvel ruining all their monthly books I'll have a lot more time to read more books like these.

Currently I'm about 150 pages into The Strain.

I've always meant to read it, and now with the show being out, I figured I'd better hurry up while I skirt the chance of seeing spoilers from the show.

Really enjoying it thus far. It's a relatively easy read that's very well-paced. Don't want to give much away, but if you like vampires, but you're also sick of vampires, I recommend it.

When I was a kid I got some great advice from an English teacher of mine; If you're reading a book and it hasn't captivated you by 100 pages, don't read it.

That knowledge I now pass onto all of you!

Has anyone picked up Ernest Cline new Book, Armada. I really liked Ready player One and hope Armada has the same feel to it.

Has anyone picked up Ernest Cline new Book, Armada. I really liked Ready player One and hope Armada has the same feel to it.

I'm reading it currently. About 50 pages in. Didn't get great reviews it seems but I'm enjoying it so far.

Does anyone know of any Star Trek novels based on the reboot? I can only find comics.

I just ordered a book called The Explorers Guild: Volume One: A Passage to Shambhala written by John Bard and Kevin Costner. I'm really curious about it.

I'm currently reading through 1984 by Orwell. It's a shame I never even covered it in college, and held it off for this long. I was hooked on it from the first page, and I should be finished it by tomorrow.

Does anyone know of any Star Trek novels based on the reboot? I can only find comics.

I just ordered a book called The Explorers Guild: Volume One: A Passage to Shambhala written by John Bard and Kevin Costner. I'm really curious about it.

Got this in the mail today. Really nice book. Old school looking.

Book pic.jpg Book 2.jpg

Currently alternating between If Chins could kill: Confessions of a B movie star by Bruce Campbell and Food: A love story by Jim Gaffighan. Enjoying both immensely. Going to have to go out and buy Dad is fat and Make love the Bruce Campbell way next.

My wife wants me to start reading Harry Potter. She's almost to the last book and says I'll like them. The nice thing is I haven't seen the movies other than when the first one came out, so I'll be starting fresh.

Back