What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife wants me to start reading Harry Potter. She's almost to the last book and says I'll like them. The nice thing is I haven't seen the movies other than when the first one came out, so I'll be starting fresh.

I'd give it a try. HP was the book series that really got me into reading. I started on the series in 1999 after my best friend recommended them to me (only 12 years old at the time). That lead me to LOTR and alot of other great books.

The quality does vary abit between the books but overall I think you'll like it.

I'd give it a try. HP was the book series that really got me into reading. I started on the series in 1999 after my best friend recommended them to me (only 12 years old at the time). That lead me to LOTR and alot of other great books.

The quality does vary abit between the books but overall I think you'll like it.

I started reading LOTR a couple different times back in the day, but I couldn't make it past the beginning...this guy son of that guy, family tree explanation for like the first 30 pages.

Childhoods-ed-US.jpg

Always liked this story.

Syfy is doing a 3 night "event" starting Dec. 14., I hope it's entertaining.

Last edited:
Currently alternating between If Chins could kill: Confessions of a B movie star by Bruce Campbell and Food: A love story by Jim Gaffighan. Enjoying both immensely. Going to have to go out and buy Dad is fat and Make love the Bruce Campbell way next.

I read Bruce's autobiography. Good book!

My wife wants me to start reading Harry Potter. She's almost to the last book and says I'll like them. The nice thing is I haven't seen the movies other than when the first one came out, so I'll be starting fresh.

I cannot recommend highly enough the audio books for the HP series read by Jim Dale. They are magnificent.

I cannot recommend highly enough the audio books for the HP series read by Jim Dale. They are magnificent.

I prefer Stephen Fry actually. But that might depend on who you start listening to. I absolutely HATE it when they change narrators in a audio book series.

Absolute classic.
Hopefully they'll do it justice.

I really hope so, I know there was talk about a theatrical release for a long time but that never happened. I always thought Fountains of Paradise could be another story that might do well in theaters, possibly television. I don't see 2001 (etc) getting remade anytime soon so it'd be nice to see some classic hard science fiction get done.

Does she recommend reading the books first?

Does she recommend reading the books first?

Absolutely. We both saw the first, maybe second movie when they came out, but have been holding out for her to finish all the books before we watch the rest. If I start reading them it will be a long time before that day comes lol.

Just finished re-reading West of Eden for the umpteenth time, I really love those books.
It does bother me that the author wasn't very up to the latest regarding dinosaurs (in the late 70's, early 80's palaeontologists already speculated on the fact that dinosaurs weren't cold blooded lizards), but I suppose he needed the cold blooded reptiles to make the contrast more effective.
Will start on Winter in Eden this week.

Me too. We just watched all the Hobbit/LotR movies again during the holidays, to show them to my son who is old enough now. Realized I needed to combat the way that the Jackson movies tend to replace the books in one's mind by rereading the books, so just picked up the Hobbit. Very refreshing after the movie version.

Me too. We just watched all the Hobbit/LotR movies again during the holidays, to show them to my son who is old enough now. Realized I needed to combat the way that the Jackson movies tend to replace the books in one's mind by rereading the books, so just picked up the Hobbit. Very refreshing after the movie version.

The Hobbit movies had more added to them than what was need, for sure, but I enjoy them for what they are. Will always have the books to come back too. After reading Sil again (for the umpteenth time) there are things used in the movie that I do appreciate and help add overall.

Last edited:
Back