What are the chances of a Hot Toys Nolan-verse Ra's Al Ghul?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ra's Al Ghul....

This would have been a much better choice to complement Scarecrow, and would have moved sets more quickly than Demon Batman I think. So, my guess is there is a likeness rights issue that keeps Hot Toys from easily releasing this guy, similar to Gary Oldman Jim Gordon (and probably accounting for no extra Crane head sculpt for Scarecrow).

I'd drop $500 on a set if it included both Scarecrow and Ra's. But paying that for Scarecrow and Demon Batman? Or trying to get Scarecrow alone for over $250-$300? Nah, I want all of the Nolan villains so if I were to get Ra's and Scarecrow for $250 each, I could live with that. But $250 for Scarecrow and still be missing Ra's? I'm not liking that so much.

Is there a list of great Liam Neeson sculpts out there?

Just another quick mock-up:
Ras.jpg

that's cool fan art. i'd hit that ra's.

with my wallet.

Cheers guys, I've posted it on HT's FB page too so hopefully someone there gets the hint haha!

They are both great, but I really dig the version with suit since that's the most iconic look from the film IMO (or maybe I just think that since it is closer to the comic design).

If they only release him with one outfit I sure hope it's not with the suit! Need to change things upon the display!

Great work sfa I 'liked' it on facebook

They are both great, but I really dig the version with suit since that's the most iconic look from the film IMO (or maybe I just think that since it is closer to the comic design).

I agree. While the ninja suit is more visually interesting, when I think Ra's, I think suit. Plus, that's what he wears when he actually confronts Batman, so it makes it a no-brainer.

If they couldn't sell out Two-Face, and made Scarecrow an exclusive, I wonder how hot a middle-aged guy in a trench coat would sell.

Howard said in an interview that Gordon was in the works, and they wanted to release him at some point. I'd expect to see him put out with TDKR. As for not selling, there are very FEW Gordon figures/ collectibles to start with, and The old comishoner is an iconic part of batman's story.
He might sell as well, or better, or worse than Two-face. I can't say. But believe me, he will sell.

As for accessories, I'd see him coming in his traditional slacks and white shirt, shoulder slung pistol, and long coat.

As well as coming with a set of riot/swat gear.

Just another quick mock-up:
Ras.jpg

Damn it, seeing that makes me wish even more that hot toys would make ra's. If only one version then the final suit, as others have said, that's a more iconic ra's al ghul look, but the inclusion of the ninja outfit would be a great bonus. I see it as very unlikely they'll make this but am sooo hoping they do. Would really help round out the line, especially as it's really the main villain from the first film.

Damn it, seeing that makes me wish even more that hot toys would make ra's. If only one version then the final suit, as others have said, that's a more iconic ra's al ghul look, but the inclusion of the ninja outfit would be a great bonus. I see it as very unlikely they'll make this but am sooo hoping they do. Would really help round out the line, especially as it's really the main villain from the first film.

which is why HT won't do it. It's inception all over again.

Would really help round out the line, especially as it's really the main villain from the first film.
Exactly...
Not having a figure of the main villain from Batman Begins does sound kinda wrong when you think about it!
I know a lot of people think the suit look for Ra's is the best look (I do too) and that HT therefore wouldn't make a Ra's, but the ninja outfit would be right up HT's street and would make a great looking figure.
Finding a 1/6 scale black suit wouldn't be that difficult to create the final battle look I'm sure.

Exactly...
Not having a figure of the main villain from Batman Begins does sound kinda wrong when you think about it!
I know a lot of people think the suit look for Ra's is the best look (I do too) and that HT therefore wouldn't make a Ra's, but the ninja outfit would be right up HT's street and would make a great looking figure.
Finding a 1/6 scale black suit wouldn't be that difficult to create the final battle look I'm sure.

True. They could surely justify it by releasing him in the ninja outfit, and having the suit as an "accessory" for the alternate outfit. Kinda like two face i guess, while he had the burned jacket and headsculpt, there was also the choice to display him as "just a guy in a suit."

They could release the ninja version to include two heads, Ra's and a new Bruce sculpt.

That would raise the appeal greatly I think.

Qui-Gon Jinn is taller than Patrick Bateman, much taller. That wouldn't look right.

mmeh, HT isn't too concerned with relative height amongst their figures on Truetype bodies. that is how they would do it.

releasing a ninja Bruce, with a Ducard Alt sculpt is actually more likely, imo than a ducard figure.

Re: Ra's Al Ghul....

Would love to see your customs man ^ :)

What sculpts have you used for the Neeson ones?

As requested...

Here's Henri Ducard, a.k.a. R'as al Ghul in his ninja gear.

CustomDucard003small.jpg

CustomDucard019small.jpg

This one needs a bit of touching up with paint on the sword and a bit on the headsculpt. The whole figure, including the headsculpt, is one of Ironcrosshunter's figures. He still sells the unpainted headsculpt on Ebay.

The joints are really weak, so one of these days I'm going to have to disrobe him and tighten up the body. Until then, he's on the stand (the only one in my collection who really needs it!).

Here's R'as al Ghul, in his birthday party outfit:

CustomRasAlGhul002small.jpg

CustomRasAlGhul006small.jpg

The headsculpt is the more common Ra's headsculpt that shows up for sale from time to time. I think one of the members of these boards might have sculpted it, but since I bought it secondhand, I can't be sure which. It's more angular and stylized, and has an older, wearier expression.

The suit is all bashed by me - black coat, black shirt, black tie, black pants, black shoes. Notice a pattern?

I've been keeping an eye out for some super-dark green velvet from which to make his scarf, but it's tough finding a fabric that's dark enough (in the movie, it literally looks black unless you freeze frame it). I also have issues with velvet, so if I find some, that will be an additional challenge :rotfl

I've also got a mini jewel thing that might work to add to his tie - he looks like he's got some white jewel pin or something on his tie in the movie, but I need to double check.

I'm also working on the red ninja robes that Watanabe's R'as al Ghul wears, and a sculpt is on the way from an artist here. I've got all the fabric, just need to sew it together. So that'll be a third "R'as al Ghul," though in actuality it's a decoy!

If HT ever does release a R'as al Ghul, you can bet it'll be the black ninja gear outfit. It's much more visually interesting and unique. Plus, not only do they not like doing just normal, fancy suits, but they know they'll be able to sell more ninja gear sets because many will buy two in order to bash a Bruce Wayne ninja.

In fact, if we ever see any kind of release, I'd bet it'd just be Bruce in the ninja outfit. Then you've got the unique factor, plus a more iconic character, plus the opportunity to sell extras to those bashing custom R'as al Ghul's, PLUS no need to deal with likeness rights, since they already have Christian Bale's.

I mean, I'd love to see a release with a Bruce head, a Ra's head, a ninja outfit, and the black suit outfit, but it's just not going to happen. That's why I've got these customs.

Back