UFC, etc.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys remember how electric they events were when they were still tournament based? Man, I miss the days of Gracie, Shamrock, Frye, Severn, etc.

The fighters are worlds better trained and conditioned now, but in that era there were true stars with intriguing styles whose fights generally delivered. Pride 10-20 or so was also a pretty golden era.

PPV buys are down but if you look at the live gates and even the money they still make off of the PPV's with a low buy rate, the UFC is making dough. 178 apparently only did 125K in PPV buys but it did 2.2 million in ticket sales. Then add on the PPV money: 125K x $60 / 2 (for the PPV provider cut) and the UFC made another 3.75 million just off that. Almost 6 million total gross for a show that lost its main event a month before.

Do you guys remember how electric they events were when they were still tournament based? Man, I miss the days of Gracie, Shamrock, Frye, Severn, etc.

The fighters are worlds better trained and conditioned now, but in that era there were true stars with intriguing styles whose fights generally delivered. Pride 10-20 or so was also a pretty golden era.

I agree. All the fighters are cookie cutter more or less with few having any mass appeal.

the 18 inning Giants baseball game was more exciting than the fights from last night :sleep. Regarding this Conor guy, I've seen a few of his fights, but to me, I don't say wow, I gotta see him fight every time now. There are maybe 3 or 4 guys/gal I say that about.

anyone catch the entertaining cards last night?
From exploding sharts to exploding ears.

Yeah I seen it coming, but I actually wanted Mark to win just to throw a wrench into the heavies. Now its back to normal, Im sure Cain will get injured again before the fight and we'll be back to square one. Cain has a one way ticket on the Dominick Cruz train.

Leslie%2BSmith%2BNasty%2BSeparated%2BCauliflower%2BEar%2BUFC%2B180.gif

I have no idea why some women find guys attractive with those nasty ears. Now that I've seen a woman with that shat, I can defn see why most find it gross. Most women grapplers do a good job preventing it though.

Yeah I seen it coming, but I actually wanted Mark to win just to throw a wrench into the heavies. Now its back to normal, Im sure Cain will get injured again before the fight and we'll be back to square one. Cain has a one way ticket on the Dominick Cruz train.

but I can see why a guy that relies on quickness like Cruz would get knee injuries. I can't see why a HW like Cain is constantly getting hurt. I'd bet most, if not all of his injuries come from wrestling though. Hopefully he will get stripped if he misses his next fight.

I guess Cain ain't got it like that cuz Dana said if he's not able to defend come next June then he's getting stripped and Werdum will be bumped up to undisputed HW champ. :lol

That punch by Eye to the ear was gory--especially when they showed it in slow motion. Good stoppage, but that woman had the heart of a lioness.

Yeah I thought it was funny when she kept saying she was fine. I was like "no, you're not fine. let me find a mirror to show you how nasty it looks."

I guess Cain ain't got it like that cuz Dana said if he's not able to defend come next June then he's getting stripped and Werdum will be bumped up to undisputed HW champ. :lol

Im a huge Cain fan, but yeah at this point if they have to strip him then so be it. We cant wait, the show must go on.

most prolly didn't know about this one, but good match. JT is a very good grappler.

J.T Torres vs Rory Macdonald Metamoris 5 - YouTube

I watched it and thought it was a good match for Rory. Not many people give him recognition for his grappling abilities, but he's pretty legit. Jake Shields also put on a pretty darn good match. I've been enjoying the Metamoris matches more and more as they're putting up some pretty big names out there. I'd like to attend one of these shows someday as I can bet it's pretty awesome to experience.

~~My only gripes about the matches was not enough submissions. I think the first match was the only sub for the event. I understand they're all top level grapplers, but there's a lot of instances I think the referee should've reset them to force another scramble.

for the most part, they put in guys who really go after it. The mix of ufc guys is cool to see. Don't know why the vinny match was so damn boring though . Still waiting on my dream match : Marcelo Garcia vs Rafael mendes. I'd like to see a better mix of no GI to GI ratio. It's a lot harder to get finishes in no GI

for the most part, they put in guys who really go after it. The mix of ufc guys is cool to see. Don't know why the vinny match was so damn boring though . Still waiting on my dream match : Marcelo Garcia vs Rafael mendes. I'd like to see a better mix of no GI to GI ratio. It's a lot harder to get finishes in no GI

Vinny's competitor was a replacement the week of the competition. I believe Kevin Casey was originally slotted against him, but withdrew due to a training injury. The guy they replaced him with was a strong Brown Belt, and was given short notice a few days before. They announced the week before that they needed a replacement, and offered $10k to the person that could submit him. So bascially Vinny was just trying to not lose.

Metamoris 3 seemed to have a better Gi/No-Gi ratio. My dream match would be for Rickson Gracie to come out of retirement, but I honestly don't know who to match him against because he's pretty much never turned down a fight. Perhaps Sakuraba since that fight never happened. Depending on the roster for the next Metamoris I think I'm 100% going to attend. I'd really enjoy Kron Gracie vs a Marcelo Garcia matchup.

Matheus was the one with everything to gain and nothing to lose. He should've went balls to the wall like the announcers said. Easily the worst match. I wouldn't be all that interested in another old Gracie competing again unless it was maybe like Royce and Matt Hughes doing a grappling match cause I know Matt wouldn't stall.

People don't pay for these events to see guys not going after it. I think tonon wants kron in this event, that would be good. Not interested in seeing Marcelo grapple against kron when he is 2-0 against him with one finish. It's a shame buchecha said he won't do these anymore. He's the best in the world IMO and is pretty exciting. We need some women in this too.

Back