Noticed many old members banned. What happened actually?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is actually solved in that that fight? You think the loser just goes "welp
got my ass best guess I'll follow that guys opinons now?

No, the loser often goes and get a bigger stick, and the fighting resumes,, nothing is learned by either party?

Maybe I am missing your point?

I learned that sometimes refusing to strike someone hurts them more than actually striking them (that applies more to family) and consider physical violence a last resort used for defense only, however, I do know that certain people (Men and Women) due to how they were raised will only respond to violence (as nonsensical as that seems) and within their subcultures that is how they resolve their differences. That is not a statement of how things ought to be but rather how they are. It is wrong but the only way it will change is with enough time that the following generations will have a different mindset.

I will also concede that violence does have its place in childhood, especially when dealing with bullies. If a kid does not stand up for themselves they will learn to be perpetual victims, but again that is more self defense. Attack is almost never justified imho

Last edited:
From the Karate Kid

Daniel: “Karate’s fighting. You train to fight”

Mr Miyagi: “Then why train?”

Daniel: “So I won’t have to fight”

The lesson here is that training teaches us to be better prepared for the challenges we meet in life. It is about reacting appropriately to them.

I don't agree with Meathook that if arguments between two people can't be resolved with words that it should switch to physical combat. However I do agree that training of some sort is useful, for some.

Assuming that all males should have some sort of physical training or know how to fight is a outdated stereotype. Why only males? Are there assumptions being made that learning to channel aggression is a male only problem?

I think that being able to defend yourself is an essential skill for living. I don’t think that violence is a solution to anything except for preventing yourself from being a victim of violence.

I do not believe that it is instinctual. People have lived violently in history only because they knew no other way. From hunting to war, violence was integral because the solution was unavailable. The irony is that the solution to all human problems is impossible to exercise in a violent state: rationality.

It has been shown that children raised in survival conditions do not develop intellectually in the same capacity as children who don’t, and the relationship is directly proportional. More violence, less brain; less violence, more brain. In primitive tribal hierarchies, that’s an infallible trap. Just look at the speed of development since political liberty was introduced at the end of the 18th century, and compare it to how slow to develop humanity was prior to that. It’s impossible to deny once you realize the connection.

Every psychological need present in less civilized society can be met in more civilized society. Competitive sports, hard labor, career ambition, sexual pursuit, community built on friendships rooted in shared interests are all radically enhanced by removing the expectation that what you earn and deserve is determined by who you can physically dominate. The productive advantage is undeniable. A century ago, diseases of malnutrition were universal dangers. Now we die because food is too abundant.

If things changed tomorrow, and we had to revert to a Neanderthal lifestyle, 80% of us would be dead, quickly. The parts of the world that do not live by our values would quickly dominate. It’s not because our lifestyle is inferior or less realistic. It’s because our lifestyle is so profoundly benevolent and intelligently gentle that we have almost completely lost the sense of danger that had been the norm for 3.3 million years, and only changed…at the end of WWII. Most people are so inured to it now that even the suggestion is an affront to every fiber of their moral being.

My dad was a Marine. 2/4 Magnificent Bastards,1968. Hated every minute of his time in Vietnam. Came home, married a maternity nurse, and raised four children. Taught each one of us to walk away from a fight. And if we started one, we knew we would be answering to him. Violence was abhorred in my home. Life was exalted as the ultimate value.

It is. And violence has only one job: to protect life. And it should never be taken for granted that we don’t need it, but it should be used with the utmost reluctance. The difference between humans that live by it and humans that don’t is day and night.

Sure. But I think a fight is more often than not the easy way out.

Interesting thing with Rebelscum is that the adults just made their own forum. At first it was a secret base of sorts, to confer privately on how to deal with expected bs from one day to the next. It evolved into a private club where they could just have their conversations without having to deal with the bs at all. In the end, it was its own vBulletin forum with sponsorships and a guiding philosophy of mature individuals who needed no moderation or censorship, who dealt with their own inter-personal conflicts, and who tolerated no mindless disruptions in the form of entitlement, disrespect, or outright nonsense.
That happened with the Spawn board too. The grownups migrated to another BBS. It got a lot more civil, but also a lot less posting. I have actually seen that happen on a number of boards I was involved with.

That is the thing that keeps me coming back here - No drama. Whether that is the mods or the man above, I am happy to be here and learn about and appreciate these exceedingly expensive playthings

Everyone's future...

Geezers.jpg

What is actually solved in that that fight? You think the loser just goes "welp
got my ass best guess I'll follow that guys opinons now?

No, the loser often goes and get a bigger stick, and the fighting resumes,, nothing is learned by either party?

Maybe I am missing your point?

I can see the issue both ways. If we are talking about kids, the natural reaction for most parents, probably nearly all, is to keep their children safe and not take a chance, even a slight one, at any potential harm to come their way. I get that. I truly do. I understand the concern, fear, reaction, apprehension and risk embedded in that.

But I see it as a balance issue. We are obligated to keep our kids safe, that's half of the equation. We are also obligated and have a duty to prepare our kids ( also our grandkids, nieces, nephews, godchildren, etc, etc) to make it and survive after we all, our generation, passes on. I have to weigh out what keeps my little nephew protected and safe today, but also what will keep him protected and safe after I die, and after his parents die.

I want to be fair about this, I have an uncle's perspective. Would my perspective be different as a mother or father? I accept that might be a possibility. Would I have a different perspective if I was mother and we were talking about a daughter instead of a son? I also accept that as a possibility. Would it be different if I was born 20 years later in time and my cultural and social frame of reference was different? Maybe. But I'm not in that situation.

Again, I see things differently. Not better. Not worse. Just different. I get the mantra why most people say you shouldn't hit first, that you should operate in "self defense" I just don't think practical self defense works in neat little boxes as such. Lots of people run right up to the line, and yes even kids, to do everything but edge over the boundary where the cops and school officials or whomever have no choice but to jump in. For a lot of bullies, both young and old, it's game to them. I recognize there are good schools and good teachers and great administrators out there, but there are also idiots in those jobs. ( The pandemic very likely revealed how badly some of them can screw up and end up hurting lots of kids) I don't trust any of them, not on the surface level. Civility and basic decency are initially offered, because we want to live in civilized communities, cities and societies, but trust is earned. Sometimes the best "defense" is understanding when the fight is inevitable. And if it's inevitable, you might as well get it all over with right now. Personally, sometimes I see practical defense also includes hitting first. (That's not a politically correct thing to say, but it's how I feel about it)

My own uncle taught me to "speak the language being spoken to you" If someone is cool with you, be cool to them. If someone helps you, help them. If someone does you a favor, recognize you are in their debt and a favor should be returned. But if someone is looking for confrontation instead? Give them that. If someone is looking for a fight? Give them that and more.

A man should have a code. A value system. A set of principles on how he choose to live his life. Everyone can choose to decide what that should entail, what the limits are and what those boundaries should be. But there comes a point when a person has to defend their principles. If you aren't willing to accept some risk or cost, then what is the purpose of having those values in the first place? Obviously I'd prefer not to be maimed for life or blinded or put in prison. But there are just lines you don't cross. Not to me. ( Everyone else can disagree or choose their own lines in that regard) I'm all for trying to reason with people. I'm all for using the systems in place like law enforcement or school administration or whatever else first. But at some point, at some critical juncture, sometimes all that's left is to spill blood.

The day my little nephew was born, I didn't understand before. Here's the thing about kids. It's the one time in this screwed up brutal life that you can actually love someone so much more than you could ever love yourself. In that way, it's actually kind of a miracle at work. His existence really centered me, and set me straight on a lot of things. I didn't understand before how someone would be willing to give their life a thousand times over or move mountains, just to try to protect that kid. But I get it now. What you have to do or what you believe works for your value system and principles, to your duty and obligation for the people you love and matter to you, then you do that. I respect that. Even if it's different than mine. But I'll do whatever it takes to keep this kid safe and make sure he has a future. And whatever it costs me, then it costs me. In that regard, it doesn't matter if I live or die.

I see that sometimes. Someone talking about how they were a bully as a kid, but they straightened out at some point. Well my little nephew isn't going to some punk kid's free therapy session or a proxy for his dysfunctional situation or family. I refuse to allow him to be pure cannon fodder. I could give a damn what is politically correct in that regard. If my nephew gets into a fistfight with some other kid, then the other kid shows up with 10 of his friends with baseball bats later. If that scenario presented itself, then those kids and their families will end up being the unluckiest people on the face of the entire planet. I'd be happy to explain that all to them in an empty corn field somewhere.

I don't want to see anyone permanently maimed and I get there is risk of escalation and legal problems. But you can't run forever. You can't back down forever. You can't just let people do whatever they want to you. Growth means risks. Even the ones we don't want. We can't protect them from everything in a vacuum. I know why people want to do it, but there is a larger balance at work. Violence is not the first tool that's going to be taken out of my "tool box", but it's not going to be excised from it completely. All the tools are there for a reason. If you told me violence is never the answer, I would say, "You are completely right. For you."

You and I share this hobby and are part of this same community. Maybe all we will agree on is that we love the toys. And if you love the toys, maybe some of this other stuff in this hobby doesn't have to matter. Maybe we can consider it a good consolation prize instead of the multi-verse version where we would have to meet in an empty corn field. I wish you well. Merry Xmas.

For some people, it teaches them that fighting is not for them and that's also valuable.

Let's take a different perspective on this for a second.

If someone has a mindset that "There is no good reason whatsoever to fight period" ( not saying that's you), then walking away isn't an option. Because that's what people are told all the time. "Take the high road and take the option where you walk away"

For people incapable and/or unwilling and/or refuse the practical mindset for self defense, it's not a choice. The decision is already made for them. They've created a dynamic where they've removed all their options. And what if the predator right there refuses to let you walk away?

In an ideal sense, of course, I'd prefer a world where those who didn't want to fight could absolutely be guaranteed that they would never have to face any of it. But I can't do that. I also don't think it's a stretch to say the society we live in right now, that for many to their viewpoint, previous established social norms on civility are breaking down. More boundaries previously held are being violated all the time. There are fracture points in basic civil order. All you have to do is turn on the news.

Again the stuff where there's a social breakdown in these forums IMHO were just a lagging indicator of a much more pervasive long term problem. In my viewpoint, the fight is coming for all of us. Real soon. For people who believe it's not for them, well sometimes in this life we don't get a choice in the matter. Maybe those people will be lucky and avoid it. But I surmise that many won't. Sometimes we get to do what we want. But most of the time, we end up having to do what we have to do no matter how we feel about it.

I've said this before. We are all on our own. No one is coming to save us. We have to be our own cavalry.

you guys asking people who argues on the internet about dollies to fight physically? may i suggest a weapon of choice of either a keyboard or mouse is allowed? i hear mechanical keyboard strikes louder.

Everyone's future...
I had an epiphany thinking about all of this recently. The entire forum was abandoned. The muppets had all gone home, the lights had been turned off for the last time, and you and jye were still sitting in the balcony, refusing to budge.

Let's take a different perspective on this for a second.

If someone has a mindset that "There is no good reason whatsoever to fight period" ( not saying that's you), then walking away isn't an option. Because that's what people are told all the time. "Take the high road and take the option where you walk away"

I've said this before. We are all on our own. No one is coming to save us. We have to be our own cavalry.
I’m not counseling pacifism or physical safety. Refusing to fight for any reason whatsoever is suicide. Refusing to take risks because you might get hurt is pathetic. The point of bringing my dad’s wisdom into the picture was to illuminate the fact that the choice to be violent changes a person. Permanently. And unless you have an unimpeachable moral vindication for it, it’s not a change you want to experience. When it comes down to brass tacks, opening the door to violence is a very specific path which sports combat and the like tends to obscure.

“Killing’s a brand. A brand that sticks.” - X-23

i dont know about history, but judging purely how how the 2 countries were managed during covid19. Really resembles wwii nazis but less brutal but with the same totalitarian.
You should've just left it at "I don't know about history" rather than proceeding to unequivocally demonstrate that you don't know about history.
Point taken....those guys did alot of damage before they were pruned.
They kept banging on about Devil being a pedo and dragging his niece. Mods thought that was just fine to let go, nothing to see here.

The Gentleman's Club neatly quarantined that gaggle of locker-room hicks in a single thread. Then Dave shut it down and the subsequent contagion spread throughout the sandbox.

Last edited:
You should've just left it at "I don't know about history" rather than proceeding to unequivocally demonstrate that you don't know about history.

They kept banging on about Devil being a pedo and dragging his niece. Mods thought that was just fine to let go, nothing to see here.

The Gentleman's Club neatly quarantined that gaggle of locker-room hicks in a single thread. Then Dave shut it down and the subsequent contagion spread throughout the sandbox.
everyone have their own political view and we can go on and on about it.

everyone have their own political view and we can go on and on about it.
LoL sure they do. But take some responsibility for your nonsense. Having an opinion doesn't make you immune from being called out on rubbish. Throwing Nazis into the conversation when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about is an example of the amplified rhetoric that's undermined Western society's capacity to engage in constructive political discourse.

Both sides do it. Left and right, both calling each other fascists over even the most minor points of disagreement.

Embrace reason, historical facts and common sense Potato. Words should have meaning. Casually throwing them around debases that meaning, and suddenly everyone we disagree with is a Nazi, and every idea we don't like is fascist. Ironically, that's kind of how Nazism got started in the first place.

LoL sure they do. But take some responsibility for your nonsense. Having an opinion doesn't make you immune from being called out on rubbish. Throwing Nazis into the conversation when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about is an example of the amplified rhetoric that's undermined Western society's capacity to engage in constructive political discourse.

Both sides do it. Left and right, both calling each other fascists over even the most minor points of disagreement.

Embrace reason, historical facts and common sense Potato. Words should have meaning. Casually throwing them around debases that meaning, and suddenly everyone we disagree with is a Nazi, and every idea we don't like is fascist. Ironically, that's kind of how Nazism got started in the first place.
criticizing a government is different from criticizing someone's friend or family i do not know about. i am basing my views off how the pandemic was handled and the controversial policies they implemented to force, coarse and pressure people into taking the vaccine irregardless of my views on science human basic rights must be upheld and what they did was no different from what the nazis did in terms of implementing what they believe is good for the people which makes me suspect the old traditions have been inherited in Canada and New Zealand governments. I still remember people saying they couldnt leave canada and return home or even get a place to stay without being vaccinated. Not that i am against vaccines but such medical enforcement is really shameful. I know there are similar policies in some states and countries but they spread their wings around just like they did back in wwii.

god knows if hitlers really ded.

solely my views.

I think throwing the WWII German label around willy nilly is a bit much but I get the gist of what you are saying. There has been a worrying shift towards authoritarianism over the past few years pretty much everywhere along with the polarization of the political sides with both becoming more extreme and yet blind to how extreme they are becoming. The accompanying increase in censorship has added fuel to the fire with entire sections of the web becoming echo chambers, especially social media. I do fear that the downhill trajectory will continue but I don't want to be a negative nancy so continue to hold onto hope that things will return to normalcy soon but if I am being honest we have an entire generation born into a world where no one can tolerate opposing views, everything is politicized and people can only seem to think in black and white dichotomies due a severe lack of nuanced critical thinking. things will likely get far worse before they get better.

As for this forum? I think it is mostly a nice balanced place where folk mostly get along. It may be leaning one way more than the other but compared to the rest of the web it is fairly even. I don't know why the folk who got booted were so other than the claims in this thread which could be lies, misunderstandings of circumstances or just exaggerations for all I know but will take it on faith that the gist of it (folk being especially offensive and breaking rules) is probably true. let's hope more aren't banned because based on this thread it seems quite a few were made gone in a relatively short period, which could look to some like a purge, which of course will trigger cries of political cleansing.

I think throwing the WWII German label around willy nilly is a bit much but I get the gist of what you are saying. There has been a worrying shift towards authoritarianism over the past few years pretty much everywhere along with the polarization of the political sides with both becoming more extreme and yet blind to how extreme they are becoming. The accompanying increase in censorship has added fuel to the fire with entire sections of the web becoming echo chambers, especially social media. I do fear that the downhill trajectory will continue but I don't want to be a negative nancy so continue to hold onto hope that things will return to normalcy soon but if I am being honest we have an entire generation born into a world where no one can tolerate opposing views, everything is politicized and people can only seem to think in black and white dichotomies due a severe lack of nuanced critical thinking. things will likely get far worse before they get better.

As for this forum? I think it is mostly a nice balanced place where folk mostly get along. It may be leaning one way more than the other but compared to the rest of the web it is fairly even. I don't know why the folk who got booted were so other than the claims in this thread which could be lies, misunderstandings of circumstances or just exaggerations for all I know but will take it on faith that the gist of it (folk being especially offensive and breaking rules) is probably true. let's hope more aren't banned because based on this thread it seems quite a few were made gone in a relatively short period, which could look to some like a purge, which of course will trigger cries of political cleansing.
you know dead men tell no lies but living ones can still lie. applies to forum members who are banned, allowing those unbanned but are on bad terms with those banned type stuffs they see fitting.

you know dead men tell no lies but living ones can still lie. applies to forum members who are banned, allowing those unbanned but are on bad terms with those banned type stuffs they see fitting.
which is why I stated that what they typed could be wrong, but I am unable to make a judgement of them being wrong since I do not have the full info on what happened. According to what has been stated they were banned for valid reasons but I leave open the possibility that they were booted out for being on the "wrong" side politically (there is definitely precedent for that happening all over the web, as per my comment above). I would like this board to remain balanced so if the forum becomes one sided I will be saddened that one of the few more balanced places on the net will be lost. for now though I will just wait and see how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back