Tommy "The Duke" Morrison dies at 44

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked very bad last years and sorry to say that, but it was predictable.
RIP big guy. Real warrior addicted to boxing.

I'm not nearly as versed in boxing as most of you, I always just under the impression he would of had a promising career if it hadn't been for the test so I apologize.

No need to apologize. :wave

Still no official cause of death, I'm guessing it's got to be HIV because if it was a heart attack they would of said so by now.

Last thing I read about it, his family doesn't want the details released to the public. So iunno.

No need to apologize. :wave

Last thing I read about it, his family doesn't want the details released to the public. So iunno.

Definitely HIV, or something else he was into. It will be disclosed eventually.

EDIT just came across this.

“respiratory and metabolic acidosis and multiple organ failure.”

Not a named "cause."

Holy **** he looked bad.

24bm05d.jpg

As I mentioned before I'm a big boxing fan. I go back to the days of Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Wilfred Benítez, Carlos Palomino and one of the saddest days in boxing, when Larry Holmes battered Ali for 10 rounds.

But the first fight I remember seeing was Duran/Leonard I (The Brawl in Montreal). Who can forget their second fight when "The Hands of Stone" became "No Mas."

I was thinking of starting a Boxing thread but then I figured I'd be the only one posting. :lol

I'll have to Google the Mercer fight. Never saw that one or Lewis. A big young, blonde white fighter with knockout power and better than decent skills was the dream package at the time. Keep in mind Mike Tyson earned $100+ million in his career, which had been unheard of. If Morrison had lived up to the hype, his earning power would have probably eclipsed that, not to mention the endorsement opportunities. I don't know if Morrison actually had the talent to be a world champion in that division, which was far more competitive back then, but he was probably rushed too much by folks looking for a golden payday. After Rocky V (a dismal flick) and the celebrity spotlight the hard living started. And that was likely the beginning of the end. He had a couple of dominating KO victories prior to the Mercer fight which I think left everyone stunned. The loss to Lewis. Then there was the AIDS diagnosis, which was the final kick. I have a hard time believing the false positive thing, because wouldn't he, his manager, or his promoter want to get a second and third opinion? But maybe by then folks were jumping off the gravy train. Anyway it doesnt matter now and the family is entitled to their privacy.

Always a shame to see someone die so young.

A big young, blonde white fighter with knockout power and better than decent skills was the dream package at the time. If Morrison had lived up to the hype, his earning power would have probably eclipsed that, not to mention the endorsement opportunities.

Kind of reminds me of Gerry Cooney, "The Great White Hope," when he fought Holmes in 1982.

he was probably rushed too much by folks looking for a golden payday.

Nah.. He was 24-0 before he fought Mercer (17-0). His career wasn't rushed, it was on par with most boxers i.e. a crapload of amateur fights (over 300) and a nice amount of pro fights against no name journeymen/old vets. Mercer and Morrison were both contenders at the time as well.

What prevented him from getting to the top of the division was a series of KO/TKO losses right at the contender level. First to Mercer, then after he built up a nice streak of wins vs. decent contenders (including Foreman) he was TKO'ed in 1 round by Michael Bentt. A guy who was basically a sparring partner turned pro with a record of 10-1. That was supposed to be a gimme fight for Morrison and instead he lost by TKO (3 knockdowns) in 97 seconds of the first round.

That one REALLY hurt his career. Then, after building up another win streak he ran into trouble against Razor Ruddick (but still won) before losing by TKO to Lewis. Which once again dropped him in the ranks.

That was the biggest problem with his career. That and the era he was in i.e. the HW division back then was filled with guys like Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, Moore, Mercer, etc.

Spot on Devil, that about sums his career up as I remember it.

Ah where have all the great (or even good) heavyweights gone.

I never liked him in Rocky V <.<

Still, what the hell is up with everyone dying young these days....

Apart from the hardcore Boxing fans, here in the UK Tommy will always be recognised more for his role he played in Rocky V as Tommy Gunn rather than what he acheived through his boxing career. I imagine in the States its the reverse. Still, to see those before and after pics really breaks your heart...i wil always remember him for how he looked in Rocky V rather than how he ended up.

RIP Tommy :(

It's all attributed to the fast lifestyle most athletes have. Nobody to blame but himself.

I don't disagree. He led a lifestyle that put him in a spot to pick the wrong person to sleep with or got into drugs, which put him in an equally bad spot. You make your bed and then have to deal with it.

I don't disagree. He led a lifestyle that put him in a spot to pick the wrong person to sleep with or got into drugs, which put him in an equally bad spot. You make your bed and then have to deal with it.

It's funny that his lifestyle wasn't too dissimilar to Tommy Gunn.

Too many boxers pissed their life away on that lifestyle. Look at Tyson. Most of that was attributed to being ripped off and being with the wrong people, but he's probably the biggest example of how to not handle your career in boxing.

He probably went that way after Cus D'Amato passed.

Last edited:
Back