The Thing (2011)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone but the dog...

I'm all for this. Carpenter's is one of my all time favorite movies and from what I've read they're keeping as close as possible to the look and feel of it for continuity. I've also heard the CGI won't be overused, plenty of old fasioned effects.

Although, I've also read that people thought there was too many subtitles in this, so all the Norwegian might be toned down.

I'm super excited though.
Looks great!

Unlikely except Jed the dog, but we don't really know what happened except to some of them, the guy with the cut throat, split face and the 2 guys in the chopper.

I'm not saying this new version won't be good, in fact I said it does look good, but what made the Carpenter version so great was taking the original and turning it on it's ear by adding the Invasion of the Body Snatchers twist to it. This one doesn't look to be bringing anything new to the game, which is understandable being a prequel to the Carpeneter flick, but when I watch I see Carpenter's Thing with a chick instead of MacReady. :dunno

Well I by no means think this will top the Carpenter flick, anyone expecting that is going to be severely dissapointed, but rather I'm excited how much it does in fact feel like the original 30 years later. Find any recent remake or sequel that recaptured that feel like Nightmare or TCM, they all feel very modern and lack atmosphere imo. This on the other hand looks like it will bookend nicely with Carpenter's which is what most fans have been hoping for for a long time.

BTW, the original and the 82 flick were based on the short story
"Who Goes There?" by John Campbell under pen name Don Stuart.
If you haven't read it, you can read the whole thing online here.

https://www.outpost31.com/books/who.txt

That site is a good resource for Thing related goodies.

We already know the ending to the new one, I can't wait to see the how. I love the paranoia and hopelessness of this whole tale. The idea is pretty damn scary.

One thing I'll be really interested to see in this one compared to Carpenter's is if it can make you care about the entire cast. Modern movies in this genre are terrible about that imo. They focus on the lead and everyone else is 1 dimensional fodder. In Carpenter's flick you cared about Childs, Nauls, Windows, Blair, Palmer, Clark, Norris etc. You're engaged in the fate of all of those characters. 80's flicks really had a nack for making you care about a big ensemble.

One thing I'll be really interested to see in this one compared to Carpenter's is if it can make you care about the entire cast. Modern movies in this genre are terrible about that imo. They focus on the lead and everyone else is 1 dimensional fodder. In Carpenter's flick you cared about Childs, Nauls, Windows, Blair, Palmer, Clark, Norris etc. You're engaged in the fate of all of those characters. 80's flicks really had a nack for making you care about a big ensemble.

Going solely by the trailer, it seems they gave Mary Elizabeth Winstead the lion's share of dialogue and scare scenes, so somehow I doubt it.

Going solely by the trailer, it seems they gave Mary Elizabeth Winstead the lion's share of dialogue and scare scenes, so somehow I doubt it.

Except like Jamesways, I've also heard from people at OP31 that there is a ton of dialogue in Norwegian. They likely kept all that out of the trailer because you don't want people having to read subtitles. So there may still be hope. Also Mary isn't really the "Kurt Russel" character, shes the main character, but there is another guy that fills that taking charge, etc role.

doesn't look too bad. i just hope they don't overdo the cgi & use some old fashioned special effects.........like it looks like in that scene where she pulls the curtain back.

Looks great. I like how they used the Carpenter Thing theme at the end. Will be neat if they end it with the beginning scene of the Carpenter film where they shoot the Norwegians and keep the dog.

Except like Jamesways, I've also heard from people at OP31 that there is a ton of dialogue in Norwegian. They likely kept all that out of the trailer because you don't want people having to read subtitles. So there may still be hope. Also Mary isn't really the "Kurt Russel" character, shes the main character, but there is another guy that fills that taking charge, etc role.

Didn't they shoot second takes of all the Norwegian-language scenes in English too? Well, here's hoping that the focus is on that team, since, if I remember correctly, there's no mention of an American team working with the Norwegians in the original.

Here's hoping that the Norwegians aren't all entirely expendable in comparison to the American scientist hot chick.

I don't mind reading subtitles if it's a foreign film, but if it's an American studio made film, it's just obnoxious to have more than a handful.

Am I the only one that thinks this looks like a ScyFy channel movie... maybe a little better. The sets are so clean; not used or dirty or lived in looking. The girl is horrible.

I don't mind the prequel premise -- in fact I think that's a great idea to do a reboot -- but I don't like the look of this at all from the trailer.

I'm looking forward to it - it certainly has potential. I'd think most movie watchers here would be smart enough not to judge too much off the trailer. They are notoriously not indicative of the film, especially one like this that will depend so heavily on how good the supporting acting is.

The ending is going to be pretty crucial too - we expect them all to die other than the Thing as the dog. I'm not sure how you create a satisfying ending that ties in with the Carpenter film, since there were two guys (no girl) on the helicopter chasing the dog. If she is the lead, killing her off early might seem odd, yet I don't think any version where she lives will really work either. I think how they end it is their biggest challenge.

So instead of being all Norwegian, we have three Americans added? :dunno

So far, the trailer looks a little too much like the 1982 version. I hope I'm wrong though.

So instead of being all Norwegian, we have three Americans added? :dunno

So far, the trailer looks a little too much like the 1982 version. I hope I'm wrong though.

It was expected though,and an excuse for making this a non-norwegian language movie.I just hope the norwegians talk norwegian among themselves,otherwise it would just be stupid and inaccurate to the story.

It's nice to see that they haven't changed out the original Thing Theme.

Why does every single protagonist of a horror movie have to be a woman?

And one that always looks way too young to be believable in the profession that they put her in. If you find a potentially brand new species unlike anything ever seen before, why the hell would you bring in a brand new young palentologist that just got her PHD signed and not and an expert in the field with decades of experience?

Back