The Thing (2011)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to wait to see the high quality trailer, but yeah, i agree, no need for a woman, never mind a hot one, in this film. I love a hot chick as much as the next guy, but it's completely unecessary in this film.

Watch there be the unecessary love making scene.

Is Mr.Ecko the other american?

I understand they had to have an English speaking person in the movie for mass market here in the US, but to make it an attractive woman seems contrived.

Yeah like anything, having a prequel/sequel so many years after the fact leads to lots of lame crap like this.

Could still be a decent movie, but the hot scientist chick angle gets a little old over time :lol

Maybe all scientists are hot chicks?

Tara Reid played a doctor in Alone in the Dark (her attractiveness is subjective, but I found her hot back in the first American Pie)

Denise Richards played a nuclear physicist in the James Bond movie.

It's totally believable that a hot chick can be a scientist.

And Dr. Sattler in Jurassic Park.

JUr.jpg

i will give it a watch but this prequel has some mighty big shoes to fill.....:lecture

the original is among my faves of all time.

Obviously I have reservations. The original Thing would never have been made the way it was if it was released today. But I am also excited since the original was so brilliant. You can always have hope (even though it seems to get squashed almost everytime)

And from what I can see of the trailer, it looks pretty kick ass and like it retained the feel of the original pretty well for 30 years later.

I think all of you are confusing the remake with the original. Kurt Russell starred in the 1982 John Carpenter remake. The original was in black and white in 1951 and starred James Arness.

Yes I know, but its still not part of this franchise. These two movies are related which is why referancing Carpenter's as the original is justifiable.

I think all of you are confusing the remake with the original. Kurt Russell starred in the 1982 John Carpenter remake. The original was in black and white in 1951 and starred James Arness.

OR..

Most people don't consider it a remake since both movies use a novella as the source material ("Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, Jr.) and the 1982 version from Carpenter is more faithful to that novella as opposed to the 1951 black and white film.

OR..

People just forget. :lol

Also commonly called The Thing....and it is what Carpenter's The Thing is based on.

Nope. Carpenter's film is based on the novella, not the 1951 film.

"the thing".................formerly known as "john carpenters the thing"................:gah:

I'm really excited for this film. Carpenter's The Thing is one of my all time favorites, and so far this looks to be quite respectful to it.

Meh, why bother?

1.) The whole crew will die. The Thing will go into the dog and the two surviving crew members will die. The End.

2.) The black guy and what looks to be "main male hero" are too similar to Childs and MacReady. I highly doubt they'll be as good, or better.

3.) Scientist guy in the pic = Blair or one of the other members of the original team.

The Thing doesn't need a prequel, no film really does.

Last edited:
How do you know everyone dies? Someone else could have gone for help while the other guys went after the dogs. One alternate ending had Mac being rescued by a chopper, who would have sent it?

There are tons of unanswered questions from the first film which makes it really fun to speculate about who gets infected and when. This film will likely reveal more info about the Thing which could lead to newer and more fun speculation.

It's a horror movie, I'm not expecting more then to watch how these people will be killed by the Thing, to see cool Thing monsters, and maybe be suprised by a solid story and acting with good suspense.

I could say The Dark Knight doesn't need a sequel, what it comes down to is fans want to see more. I'll take this being made with serious respect trying to be paid by the director to the original over a remake from a guy who wants a paycheck anyday.

I'm not expecting more then to watch how these people will be killed by the Thing, to see cool Thing monsters, and maybe be suprised by a solid story and acting with good suspense.

Don't forget paranoia and fear in the group. Scapegoats in fellow members and accidentally killing a person that's accused of being a thing. Oh, and cabin fever crew members.

In fact, possibly being the only American as well as the only female in the group, I'm sure Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character will be the first person to be suspected of being a Thing.

Yawn.

It will have all the same elements the original film had, so why bother? The Thing is a fantastic film, one of my favorites for sure. Do we really need to see the Norwegian team digging up the Thing? Do I need to see the dog get assimilated and how all those bodies ended up on the Norwegian site? No.

I'll see it, because I'm a huge fan of the Thing. Mary Elisabeth Winstead ain't too bad either. But I'm just sick of all these sequels/prequels/reboots and what have you.

It's good to see Robocop got scrapped, I was hoping the new Thing project would follow suit.

I agree, but we have no control so if it had to happen, I'm glad we successfully avoided a remake / reboot, which is disrespectful to the original in this case. And we almost didn't, they almost did a remake.

The Thing is about The Thing, not MacReady or the science team really. Its like the Alien or Predator. The first movie was a giant flop, it wasn't until after it left theatres it gained popularity so I don't mind them giving the Thing a little new attention. So yes I want to see all that suspense, and confusion again for the same reason I watch Aliens, Alien 3, and Predators. I do want to see what led to the dead bodies etc Mac found, because it is a genuine oppurtunity to expand and enrich, and maybe even enlighten events of the first movie. If done right and we know who the body in the original that the guys are standing over brought back from the Nor camp with the split face is, it could make that scene even more powerful.

And if it doesn't, I'll set the DVD on fire like I did to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Back