The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Its going to be a goosebump moment seeing the returning cast in character:gandalf
I hope they all make it ... especially Chris Lee. I'm leaning toward Michael Sheen for Bilbo...good actor and looks a little like Ian Holme.

Absolutely agree on both counts~!

Goosebumps will abound as we head back to Bagshot Row!!!

I just read about this--sounds like The Hobbit and Bond 23 could be in trouble if MGM is on the verge of bankruptcy:

Deadline Hollywood is reporting that MGM is needing $20M in short-term cash flow to cover overhead, and an additional $150 million to get through the end of year to stay out of bankruptcy and possibly losing such franchise films as The Hobbit (and its sequel) and James Bond 23. Here's an excerpt from the article:

So the bondhholders said to MGM, in essence, that they were going to let the studio go bankrupt and collect their money since they'd be first in line to get paid. But Cooper explained that this would be the worst possible outcome for the creditors and the company. Because if MGM were forced into bankruptcy, then it would lose James Bond and the studio doesn't think it can stay alive without 007. Also, a lot of other issues would surface that would tremendously hurt MGM.

Also, if MGM goes through bankruptcy, that's a very expensive prospect (where only the lawyers get rich), and extremely disruptive (since who would do business with MGM in the interim) and won’t get the creditors what they want which is their money back. It's more than simply MGM losing Bond. The studio could lose a lot of other franchises.

Nah, someone will buy them out if worst comes to the worst. I'm sure Warner and New Line would take full control. After all, money talks and Hobbit = $$$

If they do go BK I doubt it will effect The Hobbit in any way.

Here's the latest:

MGM has secured support from key lenders to allow the studio enough cash to proceed with its participation in "The Hobbit."

A recent proposal by MGM's new CEO Steve Cooper to defer interest payments on its debt load for the next three months on Thursday won a crucial endorsement from J.P. Morgan.

The investment firm leads a lenders steering committee that has been agitating for a dramatic restructuring of the Lion's operations and its ownership structure. In exchange for an agreement to limited interest forbearance, J.P. Morgan secured a few changes in existing debt terms.

Concern over MGM's hold on "Hobbit" is at the heart of the activity. In a 50-50 rights partnership with Warner Bros.' New Line unit, two "Hobbit" pics are being developed.

The first "Hobbit" aims for theatrical release in 2011, with Guillermo del Toro on board to direct that and a sequel. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and del Toro are writing scripts for both and are expected to deliver the first screenplay by the end of November.

Warners will lead production and distribute at least domestically. For now, the Burbank studio also is covering any immediate expenses.

In the end, the forbearance was granted, but not everyone was thrilled with the move. But a 51% majority would have had to oppose the plan to block its implementation, and that was never likely given such a disparate group of lenders.

The move to delay interest payments until Dec. 15 wasn't motivated by any immediate fears of insolvency at MGM, as a recent company audit showed cash flow should be sufficient to keep the lights on for at least another year.

But both current management and the lenders realize the studio's various rights on major properties such as "Hobbit," "The Pink Panther" and, most of all, the lucrative James Bond franchise are key to MGM maintaining a decent market value.

Eventually, once equity is shifted from the Lion's current owners to the lenders group, an auction likely will be held for the studio. Keeping its 50% hold on "Hobbit" -- broadly viewed as a potential big moneymaker -- would bolster interest in bidding on the Lion.

In backing the studio's payment holiday, lenders will get weekly reports from MGM regarding its cash levels and other financial details. Execs also pledged to submit a detailed restructuring proposal and updated valuation of its assets by Nov. 30.

MGM execs hope to corral at least $40 million for its "Hobbit" activities. The requested interest deferrals amount to more than $50 million.

Lion management first proposed the forbearance on Sept. 28, seeking a payment holiday until Jan. 15. The shorter period of interest deferral was hammered out in subsequent negotiations with lenders.

Current MGM owners include investment firms Providence Equity and TPG, Sony and Comcast.

A banking source said some of the tweaks to debt terms will begin to dilute those owners' current equity. A much more dramatic shifting of equity is expected over coming months as lenders agree to convert debt to equity.

Once the lenders become owners, that group likely would conduct an auction for the assets. Nobody sees the lenders group as a long-term operator of MGM.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i1c9f6a73741ca4f5d50727c206883fe3

The Hobbit will be made with or without MGM. No worries there...

Scripts are ready and interview w/ Mckellen

TheOneRing

A few reports are coming in from Ringers who tuned into the UK’s Channel 4 Paul O’Grady Show. Sir Ian McKellen was a special guest today, and confirmed a few things: He has received ‘both’ scripts. Original LOTR cast members will be returning. He has signed the declaration that he will not talk to friends, family or even his agent about the script! He does not know who is cast as Bilbo, but believes he will be an English actor.

Empireonline

Empire had the good fortune recently to catch up with one of our favourite knights, Sir Ian McKellen, at the San Sebastian Film Festival. Naturally, we decided to pump him vigorously for the latest on his involvement with those twin towers of movie geekdom: The Hobbit and the X-Men franchise.

First up: The Hobbit. It’s been known for some while now that Sir Ian would be reprising his role as Gandalf (the Grey variety this time) for Guillermo del Toro’s Lord of the Rings prequel. But he had a few additional titbits to spill this time around.

“The scripts for the two films will be delivered very soon,” he revealed. “Then they'll be budgeted, and then they'll be cast. And they'll be going when they've always said they would be, which is next spring – March or April. Guillermo even told me at one point, 'We're going to film for 383 days.' He's got that artistic autism! Jackson's the same; they're very, very, very alike. They also very different, but they've so much in common. They both can't stand Hollywood and have wonderful imaginations, and they're both obsessed with gore and fantasy. Both of them laugh a great deal. Guillermo's one of the most brilliant men I've ever met. His English vocabulary is way superior to mine!”

There’s been fervent speculation about the possible return of other Rings cast members, with the likes of Legolas and Aragorn in the frame for cameos, but Sir Ian isn’t convinced.

“Unforunately, there won’t be many of the actors going back,” he said, “unless they’re going to put masks on and be disguised as dwarves! Andy Serkis is, at the moment, I think, the only other actor who’s doing this film.”

Of course, we fully expect Hugo Weaving to pop up as Elrond, but that announcement will doubtless come in due course.

I don't really want to see either JRD, Elijah Wood or Viggo Mortensen in the Hobbit. But Hugo, Orlando, Liv and Bret could be there :rock

I don't really want to see either JRD, Elijah Wood or Viggo Mortensen in the Hobbit. But Hugo, Orlando, Liv and Bret could be there :rock

Aragorn would have to be in his Twenty's for the Hobbit, so no, I would not have him in that one. The bridge or "fill in the gaps" movie, however would be perfect for him.

Last edited:

Aragorn would have to be in his Twenty's for the Hobbit, so no, I would have him in that one. The bridge or "fill in the gaps" movie, however would be perfect for him.

I thought they got rid of the whole one hobbit movie, one bridge movie idea and decided to make a 2 part hobbit saga? Is it back to just one Hobbit and one bridge movie now?

I thought they got rid of the whole one hobbit movie, one bridge movie idea and decided to make a 2 part hobbit saga? Is it back to just one Hobbit and one bridge movie now?

No. Its still the one book over two movies idea.

Anytime I hear positive news from the Hobbit I get all giddy like a young school boy on his first date. :wacky :lol

Anytime I hear positive news from the Hobbit I get all giddy like a young school boy on his first date. :wacky :lol

Frank, whats the point of reliving your childhood. I'm sure the 50's were a great time to be growing up but really......:lol

Aragorn would have to be in his Twenty's for the Hobbit, so no, I would not have him in that one. The bridge or "fill in the gaps" movie, however would be perfect for him.

I would!!!! :naughty

Back