The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Finally got around watching the EE
I love it!! :rock!!
I cannot wait for DOS! :panic:

I did as well last night, finally got my shipment from Amazon. I really enjoyed the added scenes.

I just watched the first appendices disc for AUJ, I thought I was back watching the making of revenge of the sith, every part is shot against a green screen.

Is it just me or does anyone else miss seeing the stunning NZ locations like they used for LOTR?

I felt so sorry for Ian Mckellan when he broke down and was struggling to adjust to acting against absolutely nothing.
It may be more easier to paste everything in digitally these days, but it sucks the soul out of the process from what I've seen.

Peeder Jigson is straying into lazy Lucas territory.

I also watched the EE and even though I don't regret having it, the added material doesn't feel as relevant as in case of LoTR EE-versions. Maybe because the whole Hobbit part 1 is kind of a ee compared to the book.

But there is all kind of a extra material that should be at least 98% new compared to earlier theatrical version with those podcasts. So everyone should get enough fun for the money.

I also felt bad when I watched that hobitton scene, and it was so hard for McKellen to do it. It must have been difficult to work with no one in a dreadfully green room. But it was interesting to see this kind of "making off" -material, and the first extra disc has several hours of stuff that is worth seeing.

I am sure this has been discussed, but I can't bring myself to sort through 841 pages of posts, so I'll just ask my question and hope for the best...

Is there any real reason the Goblin King is so massive in comparison to the other Goblins? He almost looks closer to a Mountain Troll than he does a Goblin.

The Goblin scene is by far my least favorite in the movie, just too many elements that don't feel like they work, and his size is one of them.

I am sure this has been discussed, but I can't bring myself to sort through 841 pages of posts, so I'll just ask my question and hope for the best...

Is there any real reason the Goblin King is so massive in comparison to the other Goblins? He almost looks closer to a Mountain Troll than he does a Goblin.

The Goblin scene is by far my least favorite in the movie, just too many elements that don't feel like they work, and his size is one of them.

I think it's just keeping in line with the classic theme of the leader of a group frequently looking different from his/her followers. The first one that comes to mind is Boss Nass from Star Wars Episode I - he looked nothing like his fellow Gungans. This is a fairly common theme in Sci-Fi/Fantasty.

He has lived the good life since the first age...that's why. Azog is also one of those long lived Orcs.

One of the theories is that The Goblin King was basically an ancient evil spirit that came over to Middle-earth from Arda and took the form of The Goblin King. The same is thought that is how Shelob was so massive is because she was also originally an evil spirit.

Thank you Agen_Kolar, Adolfo and The Josh, 3 different explanations that all have some validity. In keeping with what I know of Middle Earth, I tend to favor Josh's explanation.

You're welcome. I love these kinds of discussions when it comes to Middle-earth. Always fun exchanging ideas. :duff

Finally watched the 4k extended cut last night.

Fully enjoyed it but I’ve AUJ has always been my fav of the Hobbit trilogy.

Here is an Unpopular opinion. Azog the defiler, may be all CGI and he may be a complete PJ created character

but He May also be the best villain in all the middle earth films.

I just love to hate him. Great character imo.

Back