The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

I'm leaning toward Michael Sheen for Bilbo...good actor and looks a little like Ian Holme.

Great choice, Wanderer!!

Like some people, I was leaning towards Martin Freeman until I looked around YouTube at Mr. Sheen's work based on your comment.

This guy would be PERFECT!!

Take a look at the range of his work: in 'The Damned United', "Music Within, or his portrayal of Nero in "Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire."

Pretty amazing, eh? He's got my vote.

I was in Martin Freeman's corner but once I heard someone suggest Sheen on Torn I was immediately hopeful. The more I think about James McAvoy he seems too sexy (for lack of a better word) to play Bilbo. :lol

Sheen is a great actor who also has some experience in genre films. He's actually an interesting choice, and I wouldn't mind his being cast--although Freeman would be a little more befuddled and I like that about him.

Here's hoping Jackson and Del Toro are Sideshow Freaks and read the boards!:rock
Bilbo is such an important character and for continuity sake they need a great actor who also has more than a passing resemblance to Ian Holme. Freeman definitely has the quirky thing down to a point however, i think Sheen is far more versatile and accomplished...plus he's the man of the moment with the performances he's put in recently ... Don't bet against it imo
I've said this loads too, I hope they find a way of getting Christopher Lee on board again, it'll be a lesser film without him...

I was in Martin Freeman's corner but once I heard someone suggest Sheen on Torn I was immediately hopeful.

Was that me? I've been campaigning for Sheen from the off. Martin Freeman doesn't have much range from befuddled, it's always the same character, ie himself.
The fact Ian McKellen thinks it'll be a British actor limits it down somewhat... people keep mentioning Sheen, Freeman and McEvoy but i wonder if they know someone we don't!
I go for Sheen. He also played Tony Blair!

Was that me? I've been campaigning for Sheen from the off. Martin Freeman doesn't have much range from befuddled, it's always the same character, ie himself.
The fact Ian McKellen thinks it'll be a British actor limits it down somewhat... people keep mentioning Sheen, Freeman and McEvoy but i wonder if they know someone we don't!
I go for Sheen. He also played Tony Blair!

I completely agree, they should go with the best actor, and IMO Sheen is such a more accomplished actor than Freeman. I mean, what's the main reason we've heard for Freeman so far... because he LOOKS like a Hobbit?! :rolleyes:

Sheen :rock

Yeah JRD's face reacted quite badly to all the prosthetics if i remember? I fancy Ron Perlman for Thorin or even Gloin. He has the talent, presence and ugliness to pull off either role...

Last edited:

Mckellen on Script / No Bilbo yet

MTV

When Ian McKellen said that "The Hobbit" scripts would be delivered shortly, he really wasn't kidding. Not only are the screenplays turned in, but the once-and-future Gandalf has read them both.

McKellen spoke with Sci Fi Wire about the scripts, except that the role of Gandalf was particularly tailored to his sensibilities this time around.

"As Peter [Jackson] has said, they loved writing Gandalf [for 'The Hobbit'] because they knew who they were writing for," said the actor. "There are a lot of characters in 'The Hobbit,' including, crucially, Bilbo, and they don't know who's going to play Bilbo. So it's extremely attractive that this part has been written for me. The other Gandalf was written for, well, just as Gandalf. There's lots for me to enjoy, in all sorts of ways. And I couldn't be happier. But I'm sworn to secrecy. I'm not to say anything at all about the script."

Apparently, the vow of silence doesn't extend towards McKellen's opinions of new director Guillermo del Toro, who he described as very similar to "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson.

"They are the same person," he said. "They were separated at birth. They're twins. They have the same attitude. Neither likes working in Hollywood. They're both fascinated by fantasy and violence on the screen, and gore, and things that frighten you. They like going into the psyche. They're both brilliant storytellers in very much the same way. And I think the script, because I have read it, plays very much to Guillermo's strengths, as I've seen them. I have seen his other movies, and people act very well in them. So I think it's all fine. And Peter will always be there."

As for his own level of excitement going into "The Hobbit," McKellen said that he couldn't believe that it's already been 10 years since he first donned Gandalf's gray robes.

"I remember being told by a friend in Hollywood that 'your life is going to change,' and it has," said the actor. "Gandalf is an extremely famous character, and I quite like having him around the corner. He's very popular."

"Gandalf is an extremely famous character, and I quite like having him around the corner. He's very popular."

Coming from McKellen this is a disturbing thought. :horror :monkey3 :banana :monkey3 :horror

I cant see lee coming back as saruman, have you seen how old he looks these days + the amount of time its taking to get this damn film off the ground :tap

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/s0h4Vt9taEk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/s0h4Vt9taEk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

bout time he was knighted though :)

I'm sure this has been covered in the past, but was wondering why the actor who played Bilbo in the original movies is not being used for "The Hobbit"? A little makeup can give him the younger look. I thought he was a great actor. Thanks.

Nope. No way he could pull off Bilbo. Ian Holm is nearly 80 years old.Not sure he would be up to all the physical work involved (trudging up mountains, fighting spiders, and riding barrels down great rivers). :lol

Nope. No way he could pull off Bilbo. Ian Holm is nearly 80 years old.Not sure he would be up to all the physical work involved (trudging up mountains, fighting spiders, and riding barrels down great rivers). :lol

:lecture Exactly. But i'm glad they've said (I think I did:confused:) that they want to use Holm in some form or another. Narration at beginning and end of the movie(s) perhaps?

Back