The "I've Seen Indy IV" Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm almost hesitant to say it, but my whole family went and saw it, and we all enjoyed it. I can understand why it's getting such a mixed response and rubbing many fans the wrong way, but I found myself (almost inexplicably) smiling and liking the movie. Now, I am not going to champion the movie and try to convince everyone that it's great because I can recognize that it's not a great film--but I can't talk myself out of the fact that I personally enjoyed it, even though I was pretty much set up to not like it.

I think this is where I'm at and many others as well. As I said I'm really struggling why this film is supposedly so bad. I'm just not seeing it.

It's funny--I think I was almost too prepped to hate it because of things like that and in the end I was left wondering what the big deal was:

"The prairie dogs! I hated the prairie dogs! Why did they have to add the prairie dogs!"

I went in expecting Indy to have a seven minute long scene with a prairie dog stuffed in his trousers or something like that. Instead we get like two quick shots of prairie dogs in New Mexico. The negative response seems a little exaggerated compared to their fleeting and insignificant appearance. Now, if one landed on Indy's face or pooped or farted (which wouldn't surprise me knowing Lucas) I would understand, but they didn't really do anything that merited the attention and hatred.

:confused:

My son loved them. He also loved the monkeys, and Mutt swinging. Seeing it with my kids and having them smile and love so much of it certainly influenced my response.

Agreed. No Raiders, but why all the hate?

This is one of the reasons I want to see it again besides really liking it. I want to watch it and try to figure out where all the hate is coming from. So I can better understand if possible the haters on this film.

I went in expecting Indy to have a seven minute long scene with a prairie dog stuffed in his trousers or something like that. Instead we get like two quick shots of prairie dogs in New Mexico. The negative response seems a little exaggerated compared to their fleeting and insignificant appearance. Now, if one landed on Indy's face or pooped or farted (which wouldn't surprise me knowing Lucas) I would understand, but they didn't really do anything that merited the attention and hatred.

If it had been like this then I would agree. There just wasn't anything like this other than maybe the monkey part.

Saw it again last night. #3 It does indeed get better and even easier to digest upon repeat viewings.

I think I'm pretty much ready to do a complete (and thoroughly rational) postmortem on the flick.

I think this is where I'm at and many others as well. As I said I'm really struggling why this film is supposedly so bad. I'm just not seeing it.

Because people expect it to be the best of the best. My advice is to, forget the three films, and go and be happy about seeing INDY again on the big screen. Some people have never seen INDY on the big screen and that there my friends is intoxicating by it's self! Like THE JOSH said have fun, and fun you will have!:banana:chew:banana:banana

It's funny--I think I was almost too prepped to hate it because of things like that and in the end I was left wondering what the big deal was:

"The prairie dogs! I hated the prairie dogs! Why did they have to add the prairie dogs!"

:confused:

My son loved them. He also loved the monkeys, and Mutt swinging. Seeing it with my kids and having them smile and love so much of it certainly influenced my response.

Yeah, I can't understand all the hoopla about the prairie dogs and monkeys either. People, not just on this board, are acting like it's the return of Jar Jar. Both sequences are maybe 20-30 seconds tops.

Different people watch films expecting and looking for different things. Some are acting people who as long as the performances are solid will enjoy the film. Others are action people that are happy as long as the action scenes are exciting and well put together. Still others are special effects fans who are pleased if the fxs are jaw dropping and realistic. I'm a writing guy and don't mind if the acting or action or directing or fxs are shoddy in places as long as the story is solid and well written. This is what ultimately let me down with KotCS. It's what I've thought about the most and found the most fault with. The film will probably rank higher with those people who are concerned with other aspects and content with not thinking or analyzing the story too deeply.

See for me I want all of those to be good. There where bumps in all aspects but not enough to hurt my enjoyment.

Different people watch films expecting and looking for different things. Some are acting people who as long as the performances are solid will enjoy the film. Others are action people that are happy as long as the action scenes are exciting and well put together. Still others are special effects fans who are pleased if the fxs are jaw dropping and realistic. I'm a writing guy and don't mind if the acting or action or directing or fxs are shoddy in places as long as the story is solid and well written. This is what ultimately let me down with KotCS. It's what I've thought about the most and found the most fault with. The film will probably rank higher with those people who are concerned with other aspects and content with not thinking or analyzing the story too deeply.

I think alot of people where expecting, spiritual and not mythical.

See for me I want all of those to be good. There where bumps in all aspects but not enough to hurt my enjoyment.

I agree, I prefer a film scores A's in all those categories, but the foundation of the whole thing, the basis of whether I'm going to really love the film or not is rooted in how well it's written. I can forgive even huge blunders in other departments, but not so much there. There's a point that too many hiccups and inconsistencies affect my enjoyment and take me out of the film, especially with a script.

I can understand that for you being more of a script guy. I hope to see it again soon maybe today to look for things like this.

I have seen great actors save a bad script, and vice versa. Ideally, you do want everybody involved--cast and crew--firing on all four cylinders.

I agree, I prefer a film scores A's in all those categories, but the foundation of the whole thing, the basis of whether I'm going to really love the film or not is rooted in how well it's written. I can forgive even huge blunders in other departments, but not so much there. There's a point that too many hiccups and inconsistencies affect my enjoyment and take me out of the film, especially with a script.

Mabey your digging to deep,i could be wrong ,my dad liked it and he has seen all of them. My stepmom as well .

The script is deeply flawed, particularly for having been hashed for nearly 2 decades. But it's not a completely fatal flaw and I think some are harping on it just a tad too much. And, again, I honestly don't think the script for LAST CRUSADE was any better.

More later... in another thread.

Back