Shia Trashes Indy IV

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all. Even almost all of us who don't hate the movie fully admit that it has issues.

Note that I said "don't hate" for a reason. That's because a lot of the criticisms of the movie is just completely negative and simply read like, "It sucked", "Worst movie ever" and all kinds of other irrational, one-sided hyperbole. And when people post stuff like that (or reference a South Park sketch in their defense) and someone comes back with a rational explanation for why the movie is not a complete and total piece of crap, it looks like this:

1272438656529.gif

well my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular but after reading all the posts there seemed to be an emerging attitude that your wrong if you think the movie was bad and also shia should never speak his mind because he's not as important as Lucas or Spielberg which i think is just crazy.

but i'm glad that people like the movie it makes reading posts of differing views much more entertaining.

Obviously opinions aren't invalid, but the underpinning of opinions sometimes are. Many opinions are based on internally inconsistent logic (supernatural genre element A is fine but supernatural genre element B is beyond the pale).

well again it all comes down to what you believe. most people will believe in a christian supernatural element because their belief tells them that they are supposed to but will dismiss aliens because that same belief tells them that there are no aliens therefore the idea is perposterous.

obviously this can be countered by the people who believe in Anchient Astronauts and can even be argued that the alien storyline fits perfectly in with all the other religious quests since they believe that the bible supports their beliefs.

well my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular but after reading all the posts there seemed to be an emerging attitude that your wrong if you think the movie was bad and also shia should never speak his mind because he's not as important as Lucas or Spielberg which i think is just crazy.

Well, you'll never see me say that about Shia. Everyone has the right to express an opinion. I'm just wondering out loud whether he truly, really dislikes the movie... or if he's just seeking street cred and points with the Too Cool For School crowd because the movie is so universally decried (irrationally so, some of us may say).

Well, you'll never see me say that about Shia. Everyone has the right to express an opinion. I'm just wondering out loud whether he truly, really dislikes the movie... or if he's just seeking street cred and points with the Too Cool For School crowd because the movie is so universally decried (irrationally so, some of us may say).

i don't think there will ever be a way to know that.

most people will believe in a christian supernatural element because their belief tells them that they are supposed to but will dismiss aliens because that same belief tells them that there are no aliens therefore the idea is perposterous.

Right. But that's flawed logic and there's nothing wrong with people pointing that out. The right to an opinion doesn't mean everyone's opinion is right. Many opinions are factually wrong, or ill thought out, or just not very bright. :)

Right. But that's flawed logic and there's nothing wrong with people pointing that out. The right to an opinion doesn't mean everyone's opinion is right. Many opinions are factually wrong, or ill thought out, or just not very bright. :)

but when we are talking about movies then who cares? now opinions about more important things can be wrong but when it comes to "art" it's hard to explain why you like some things and why you don't like others.

but when we are talking about movies then who cares? now opinions about more important things can be wrong but when it comes to "art" it's hard to explain why you like some things and why you don't like others.

Well it gets back to IrishJedi's point about the tenor of the conversation.

The ants were awesome - right out of a '50s flick and thus right in line with what Indiana Jones is all about in the first place.

Wouldn't it have been great if the movie was made completely old-school with no CGI at all? I hope the next one is like that.

Like I said, the ants would have been cool if it was done with practical effects.

I hope you also laughed at the inflatable raft as parachute (TWICE) scene in TOD.

This is a valid point. In response:

1) TOD only comes in a hair ahead of KOTKS for me. (I have no intention of watching either ever again.)
2) The tree gently lowering the jeep down from a skyscraper height was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in a movie. Easily trumping the raft scene.
3) The tree scene was CGI. And obviously so. Nothing even near that could be accomplished with practical effects, it's just that over the top. It could have worked in harmony with the other movies, and mirror shots like the raft scene if they had done it with a normal sized tree and they had used practical effects. But the just can't keep their finger of the CGI button. :ohbfrank:

Last edited:
My personal opinion, and it is probably not a popular one, is that for these types of movies, especially after Crystal Skull, the third Mummy movie, Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, was better than Crystal Skull.
Crystal Skull wasn't bad but it was probably the weakest of the Indy films. That same summer Mummy 3 came out and I thought they did a better action/adventure film.
As a series Indiana Jones is better but the Mummy series is not far behind.

The tree gently lowering the jeep down from a skyscraper height was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in a movie.

...which is why I loved it. All four of these movies are ridiculous. They're supposed to be ridiculous, that's why they're fun. It's why you have raft parachutes and Nazi airplanes comically sliding through tunnels! It's why you have Indy and his dad doing a Buston Keaton routine, why you shoot your own airplane, why you use seagulls to fight Nazis, why you have Kate Capshaw, why you have screwball club fights, why you have comedy monkeys and Sallah and "Tanks!"

The car landing on the tree is pure Indiana Jones. The tree letting them down gently - that's the joke! :)

...which is why I loved it. All four of these movies are ridiculous. They're supposed to be ridiculous, that's why they're fun. It's why you have raft parachutes and Nazi airplanes comically sliding through tunnels! It's why you have Indy and his dad doing a Buston Keaton routine, why you shoot your own airplane, why you use seagulls to fight Nazis, why you have Kate Capshaw, why you have screwball club fights, why you have comedy monkeys and Sallah and "Tanks!"

The car landing on the tree is pure Indiana Jones. The tree letting them down gently - that's the joke! :)

Again. It would work, and fit the series, if it had been done without CGI.

Back