The "I've Seen Indy IV" Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is there to talk about? How about civil discussion about why people liked and didn't like it. Just making conversation as I've done with many people here and off here.

You didn't create this thread to be a smart ass? Oh come on Keith. I'm seriously calling BS on this. You may have been trying to prove a point but you did it to also be a smart ass and I'd be willing to bet the farm on it. So the negative thread is beating the positive thread. Is this a contest? :lol I guess it proves the people who liked it are trying to start discussions with those that didn't like it.

He's just trying to get under your skin JOSH this film is great. DON'T conform to the dark side my friend.

Simply disliking the movie doesn't make you bitter. Not at all. It's how you present it. Writing cynical, hyperbole-laced diatribes is what makes that apparent to anyone with an ounce of rationality.

But what do you expect with today's Talkback Culture online? :rolleyes:

Simply disliking the movie doesn't make you bitter. Not at all. It's how you present it. Writing cynical, hyperbole-laced diatribes is what makes that apparent to anyone with an ounce of rationality.

But what do you expect with today's Talkback Culture online? :rolleyes:

You like it right?

Last edited:
Josh.

I think when posting something and it's in print it seems so much more "final" as opposed to when you are sitting in a room talking with someone were responses can come fast. I think the statement "I can't see how others can like it" Seems much worse in print then if you and I were talking and discussing it. I am still waiting to find someone I know here at home that has enjoyed the film so we can have a fun debate. I tend to hate writing these sort of opinion things on forums because of the above mentioned reasons. But thanks for making some nice civil points.

Anyways Grunson made some examples that I 100% agree with on why he dilsked the film and are just some of the reason I think time will not be kind. I added in some of my thoughts in Bold

-funny gophers

-swinging monkeys (and Mutt's Tarzan moves and the fact that he catches back up to the trucks)
-fistfight in the middle of ants

-Shai getting racked 10 times in a row

-Kate holding a sword, trying to look scary

-crazy guy holding a shiny skull for hours

-lead fridge

-Brody’s smiling head falling off

-snake rope

-Marion pretending to drive, just holding a steering wheel

-Marion coaching the sword fight between the cars

-Marion driving off a cliff (then smiling at Indy because she "knew what she was doing)-tree branch killing most of the Russians

-the phasing mothership

-jumping martial arts guys, trying to be scary

-and of course, the ALIEN with knowledge

-introduction of FBI agents who serve no other purpose in the film.

- Sit com scene in the quick sand

-Joonnneeeeesssssyyyyyyyyy!

But I do realize these could be all the reason why someone loved the film.

Oh well time will tell.

I was very surprised by this as well, I was expecting more of a "Red Scare" to the film; but the early hints at this were quickly abandoned - though I suppose McCarthism hadn't spread to Peru yet.

:whip

Josh.

I think when posting something and it's in print it seems so much more "final" as opposed to when you are sitting in a room talking with someone were responses can come fast. I think the statement "I can't see how others can like it" Seems much worse in print then if you and I were talking and discussing it. I am still waiting to find someone I know here at home that has enjoyed the film so we can have a fun debate. I tend to hate writing these sort of opinion things on forums because of the above mentioned reasons. But thanks for making some nice civil points.

Anyways Grunson made some examples that I 100% agree with on why he dilsked the film and are just some of the reason I think time will not be kind. I added in some of my thoughts in Bold

-funny gophers

-swinging monkeys (and Mutt's Tarzan moves and the fact that he catches back up to the trucks)

-lead fridge

-snake rope

-Marion driving off a cliff (then smiling at Indy because she "knew what she was doing)-tree branch killing most of the Russians

-the phasing mothership

But I do realize these could be all the reason why someone loved the film.

Oh well time will tell.

It's a movie for, INDY sake, get over it already.:horror

The FBI interrogation scene is among my favorite in the movie. I love it. It tells you everything you need to know about who Indy is now and the political climate of the era. :lecture

Dont go to the cinema. Ive never seen a S H I Tty film like this! Indy lives but the story is dead!

Go to Hell Spielberg and Lucas!!! :gun:chew

The FBI interrogation scene is among my favorite in the movie. I love it. It tells you everything you need to know about who Indy is now and the political climate of the era. :lecture

Agreed, and I wish they would have carried this forward more.

Seeing things in print does add a bit of finality to it doesn't it? :lol No problem at all I honestly don't like flame wars.

I'll add some thoughts to each break down. I'm not trying to pick things apart. So I apologize now. :lol

-funny gophers

They're on screen for like 30-45 seconds total. I didn't give them much personal thought. I guess I don't see where these are on screen long enough to really be an issue.

This was one of the things I said in my review that I didn't like. I just saw no point in the monkey scenes at all unlike the gophers these actually played a role in the movie that really did nothing. Then you toss in the Tarzan stuff. :lol

Indy fighting is a staple in these movies. The Ants are going around because of the power of the skull. There are ants that will tear you apart in the the jungle so this to me made it more real. No quite to the degree in the movie but its a movie.

Again, something I could have lived without. Once or twice I could deal with the rest was a bit over the top.

I thought she did a fine job playing her role. She was meant to play a 50's Style B-Movie vilian and they're always kind of campy. Seemed to work from my POV.

He's gone crazy because of the skull and nobody else seems to want to hold it. Nothing big here that I gave much thought too.

-lead fridge

Fridges of the time where lead lined. Now, as far as Indy being bounced around in it thats a tiny stretch but nothing more so than other stuff in other Ind films.

Left this out of my initial review but this pisses me off. They just do an homage to Brody and Jones Sr and then his head falls off the statue. Come on!

-snake rope

I liked this scene. Made me think of Raiders when he gets into the plane. I thought it was funny he had to use the snake which he hates to be saved.

Didn't give much thought to this moment. I just put it up to her being in shock from the multiple falls.

Just a mom being a mom. She is a bit bossy as she did to Indy in ROTLA and even a touch in this movie.

If she knew it was gonna work or if I knew it was gonna work I'd have had a big smile on my face. As far as killing most of the Russians nothing crazier than all the Nazis being killed by the Ark.

-the phasing mothership

They're aliens and ride in a spaceship. No issues there with me.

I could see where this might bug some. Its a little odd.

Its always been assumed that Aliens are very smart beings smarter than us (not hard at times I would say :lol). Plus as I said there have been programs that talked about how they might have given these technologies to these cultures.

There purpose was to show that anyone during the time could be called a communist. Though them doing that to Indy pissed me off. :mad:

She thought she was gonna die and letting Indy know Mutt was his kid. Could have been done someplace else but it fit the moment and how things in Indy can get a little crazy.

I just got tired a little of hearing him say it this way 1k times during the movie.

Josh - I can see your point on these things and how you can forgive them (I can't)

My only arguments are -

Smiling after the driving the truck over the cliff - It's not so much the smile it's just that she tried something so crazy and was so sure it would work. Driving off thecliff onto a tree to settel down perfectly in the water is too far fetched even for an Indy film and then to act so much like you knew it would work out that way again takes this film to sit com level.

The branches killing the Russians was not so much a problem for me. It added a bit of humour to an otherwise cringe worthy scene. But please for the love of Indy don't compare the brach killing the Russians to the Ark killing the Nazis.

Marion just being a mom when telling her son how to sword fight. - Sure she was bossy in the first film but there was always a sense of danger. That part was played for laughs and took away any feeling of danger that there might be in that scene. Marion would not act like that.

What I loved about Raiders is that the humour was intelligent. TOD got a bit silly at times but still had some great laughs. TLC started getting overboard with Marcus Brody. But the first three films felt grounded in reality no matter how crazy they got. The Humour and action in this one just felt forced to me.

Oh well. I see it is doing well at the Box office which I am glad to see. As I do love Indy and will always be on his side. Plus I hope to get another Indy film so to end the series on a hopefully bette note.

Its cool. I get where you're coming from and appreciate the fact you where willing to discuss it. :duff

Settling down perfectly in the water would be something if I had to pick on that scene.

Well, what I mean by comparing it to that is we have objects taking out whole scores of folks. Maybe not the best comparison though.

The Marion of ROTLA might not have but she's a mother now. Motherhood changes you I'm sure or so my own mom says. :lol

Maybe a few moments the humor was forced but overall felt on par with TOD and TLC 2 me at least.

I'm all for Indy 5. :whip

Smiling after the driving the truck over the cliff - It's not so much the smile it's just that she tried something so crazy and was so sure it would work. Driving off thecliff onto a tree to settel down perfectly in the water is too far fetched even for an Indy film and then to act so much like you knew it would work out that way again takes this film to sit com level.
Keep in mind that they were driving in an amphibious vehicle -- basically a boat on wheels. I got the impression that her plan had just been to try driving down into that water (and if you believe the scene with the three waterfalls, that might very well have worked). I took the fact that it worked out so well with the tree catching them and then hitting the Russians to be a happy accident, and that she just pretended that she knew it was going to happen all along.

Now, that I agree with. It all just kind of worked out and I've seen Indy with that type of smirk in the other three. Sitting it down that perfectly might have been a little tiny too much but its an Indy flick.

17 multi-posts -- Josh that has to be some kind of record!!!

I just hope it didn't annoy Jaws. I just wanted to keep my thoughts clear when replying and since it was broken down point by point I thought it was best. I know the MQ thing can get a little annoying.

I liked the movie, it was like a 1950's serial comic book coming to life.....yes, it was over the top, but I remember the first time I saw DIE HARD, and I thought that was over the top(cartoony), but now it's tame in comparison to action films today. My father told me once, when he first saw the Bond movies with Sean Connery, he thought they were silly, and over the top, but now he loves those films...Some things get better with age.

Keep in mind that they were driving in an amphibious vehicle -- basically a boat on wheels. I got the impression that her plan had just been to try driving down into that water (and if you believe the scene with the three waterfalls, that might very well have worked). I took the fact that it worked out so well with the tree catching them and then hitting the Russians to be a happy accident, and that she just pretended that she knew it was going to happen all along.

Actually re watching the movie today I don't think that was the case. When she first comes into the scene she drives right to the ledge. She then looks over and sees the tree below. They then show her smile as if she knows exactly what her intentions are. So in my mind that was the plan. To have the tree come back and hit the Russians was I believe a happy accident.

Back