The I ACTUALLY like the new GI JOE movie thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a total absence of acting talent .

I'm in a show right now and, believe me,
we have a LOT of people that fit this
description. After working with this latest cast,
no one in Hollywood comes close to being bad.
'Cause, believe me, bad actors are REALLY bad.
I'll take Mr. Park in my cast ANY day! ;)

I'm sure you would be a much better choice, huh?

of course not...

one of the main reasons i can identify his total lack of acting talent is that i myself also have a total lack of acting talent as well...

hiring someone who can act would be a much better choice...

park's movements are way to exaggerated to express the kind of subtlety needed for a nonspeaking main character...

his jerky head movements and overacting mannerisms make him pretty clownish..

the type of actor you need is someone like Doug Jones (although he's probably too slim for the snakeyes role)

he is an expert at conveying emotion and character through movement and posture...

ray park simply can't do that sort of thing well...

in every film i've seen him in whenever he trieds to react in a scene he looks like a dog who is trying to figure out which direction that high pitched noise is coming from...

I know this may sound sacrilegious to some but I think the best way to present Snake Eyes on screen in a live-action film is to show him with a normal face and voice before being disfigured. I don't think the tragedy of the character can be properly conveyed by only showcasing him as a masked and mute ninja commando. Imagine Robocop, Darkman, or Aaron Eckhart's Two-Face if you never got to see who they were before. Not nearly as effective.

Someone like Brad Pitt could have been cast. He could have still been a mysterious character who said very little and then after his accident--no face, no voice ever again.

of course not...

one of the main reasons i can identify his total lack of acting talent is that i myself also have a total lack of acting talent as well... hiring someone who can act would be a much better choice... park's movements are way to exaggerated to express the kind of subtlety needed for a nonspeaking main character... his jerky head movements and overacting mannerisms make him pretty clownish.. the type of actor you need is someone like Doug Jones (although he's probably too slim for the snakeyes role) he is an expert at conveying emotion and character through movement and posture...

in every film i've seen him in whenever he trieds to react in a scene he looks like a dog who is trying to figure out which direction that high pitched noise is coming from...

That's absurd. You say he is because you are?! :lol How do you know he doesn't do a better job on different takes and is shut down by the director who has a different vision of what it should be like? Look at Natalie Portman. She's an award winning actress with a Golden Globe, several Saturns and even an Academy Award nomination. I HATED her acting in Star Wars. Her acting was unimaginative, her dialogue cheesy and the emotion was painful and forced. Yet, you see a movie like Leon: The Professional, where she was given the chance to prove herself, and know she's quite capable. Nobody has yet to give Ray Park that chance.

Truth is, you DON'T know. And won't know until someone gives him that chance. When that happens, if he sucks (which I doubt), then you can say, by all means and without a shadow of a doubt, he's a horrible actor. But until then, we just don't know...period.

And FYI: Doug Jones was twitchy, exaggerated and pretty clownish as Abe, and even as Fauno and the Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth.

I know this may sound sacrilegious to some but I think the best way to present Snake Eyes on screen in a live-action film is to show him with a normal face and voice before being disfigured. I don't think the tragedy of the character can be properly conveyed by only showcasing him as a masked and mute ninja commando. Imagine Robocop, Darkman, or Aaron Eckhart's Two-Face if you never got to see who they were before. Not nearly as effective.

Someone like Brad Pitt could have been cast. He could have still been a mysterious character who said very little and then after his accident--no face, no voice ever again.

I agree. And I do think it could've been pulled off by Ray Park with considerable voice coaching on an American accent. However, that would be better served in it's own movie, a Snake Eyes Origin movie and it's clear that the powers that be don't want to even delve that deep into G.I. Joe :(

Last edited:
That's absurd. You say he is because you are?! :lol How do you know he doesn't do a better job on different takes and is shut down by the director who has a different vision of what it should be like? Look at Natalie Portman. She's an award winning actress with a Golden Globe, several Saturns and even an Academy Award nomination. I HATED her acting in Star Wars. Her acting was unimaginative, her dialogue cheesy and the emotion was painful and forced. Yet, you see a movie like Leon: The Professional, where she was given the chance to prove herself, and know she's quite capable. Nobody has yet to give Ray Park that chance.

Truth is, you DON'T know. And won't know until someone gives him that chance. When that happens, if he sucks (which I doubt), then you can say, by all means and without a shadow of a doubt, he's a horrible actor. But until then, we just don't know...period.

actually i've done quite a bit of theater and that's how i know i can't act...

i've also worked with a lot of folks who can (and many others who are as bad or worse at it than me)

i can spot a bad actor pretty well through extensive personal experience..

it's like how cops can generally tell when someone else has been in law enforcement regardless of whether that person is wearing a uniform or not...

park is a gifted athlete and a fantastic martial artist... but his acting sucks in everything i've seen him in...

his body language is great as long as the only feeling he's trying to emote is "i'm a badass" ... or slight variations of that like "i'm a ********* jock"

but whenever he triies to emote anything else he gets that doberman hearing a dog whistle look...

i actually do agree with you that he should be given more speaking roles...

there are plenty of action stars who are terrible actors...

He's no worse than guys like Van Damme, or Segal... who are both atrociously bad actors who have made decent careers for themselves in terrible movies...

his lack of acting skill might be less obvious if they gave him roles with more to say... especially if given some marginally witty dialog...

but in nonspeaking roles where he tries to convey any sort of feeling.... it just doesn't work...

maybe someday someone will give him the perfect role... and his performance will blow me away and prove me completely wrong...

i hope it happens... but i see no evidence from his past work that he's even remotely capable of that.

as for Doug Jones...

it just proves you have terrible taste in actors (if your high opinion of Park's acting chops didn't prove that already)

twitchy?!?... the dude is playing a fish ... i'd be annoyed if he wasn't twitchy...

also remember that in that costume he's almost completely blind and deaf on set.

the guy's subtly of expression and movement is amazing especially considering the limitations imposed by the costumes...

but i think he's too slim for snakeeyes...

although...

they did put park in a rubber muscle suit..... hmmmmm....

Compare and contrast. I think Al Pachino sucks as an actor. Why? Al Pachino always plays Al Pachino the Cop, Al Pachino the mobster, Al Pachino the lawyer, etc. Great actors are proven by taking them outside of their comfort level and seeing just how they perform and if they can pull it off successfully. Robert De Niro is an example of one of those actors. He can play the mob boss, or the father (A Bronx Tale), the crazy robber (Brazil), or the funny CIA dad (Meet the ^^^^ers). He isn't always Robert De Niro in these movies. Robin Williams is another actor who's surprisingly easy to fit in the "good actor" category. He's not only great in comedies, he's great as a terrifying psychopath and also as the serious doctor, teacher, etc. It's all about versatility. Ray Park hasn't been given a chance to show it. Until that happens, you can't say either way.

of course not...

one of the main reasons i can identify his total lack of acting talent is that i myself also have a total lack of acting talent as well...

hiring someone who can act would be a much better choice...

park's movements are way to exaggerated to express the kind of subtlety needed for a nonspeaking main character...

his jerky head movements and overacting mannerisms make him pretty clownish..

the type of actor you need is someone like Doug Jones (although he's probably too slim for the snakeyes role)

he is an expert at conveying emotion and character through movement and posture...

Well, I work with actors all the time, so I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Ray Park is a fine actor. Most of the time he has to rely on expression because his characters have no lines, and he pulls it off nicely. His Darth Maul was legendary. His Toad with pure entertainment, and all his lines were delivered very well.

Frankly, your inability to act does not make you an expert on whether someone else can or cannot act. I'm sure directors wouldn't cast him in their films if he didn't have enough charisma to pull off the characters he plays. To date, I've not been disappointed, and I recognize that he does in fact do what he does very well.

If the movie was about Snake Eyes, I'd agree, but I think it would be better, as a team franchise, to save it as a flash back in a sequel.

actually i've done quite a bit of theater and that's how i know i can't act...

i've also worked with a lot of folks who can (and many others who are as bad or worse at it than me)

i can spot a bad actor pretty well through extensive personal experience..

it's like how cops can generally tell when someone else has been in law enforcement regardless of whether that person is wearing a uniform or not...

park is a gifted athlete and a fantastic martial artist... but his acting sucks in everything i've seen him in...

his body language is great as long as the only feeling he's trying to emote is "i'm a badass" ... or slight variations of that like "i'm a ********* jock"

but whenever he triies to emote anything else he gets that doberman hearing a dog whistle look...

i actually do agree with you that he should be given more speaking roles...

there are plenty of action stars who are terrible actors...

He's no worse than guys like Van Damme, or Segal... who are both atrociously bad actors who have made decent careers for themselves in terrible movies...

his lack of acting skill might be less obvious if they gave him roles with more to say... especially if given some marginally witty dialog...

but in nonspeaking roles where he tries to convey any sort of feeling.... it just doesn't work...

maybe someday someone will give him the perfect role... and his performance will blow me away and prove me completely wrong...

i hope it happens... but i see no evidence from his past work that he's even remotely capable of that.

as for Doug Jones...

it just proves you have terrible taste in actors (if your high opinion of Park's acting chops didn't prove that already)

twitchy?!?... the dude is playing a fish ... i'd be annoyed if he wasn't twitchy...

also remember that in that costume he's almost completely blind and deaf on set.

the guy's subtly of expression and movement is amazing especially considering the limitations imposed by the costumes...

but i think he's too slim for snakeeyes...

although...

they did put park in a rubber muscle suit..... hmmmmm....

i love how you criticize one actor for for being twitchy and praise another one for being twitchy.

Guess what bub, Ray Park would have been just as deaf in G.I. Joe as Doug Jones in Hellboy.

i love how you criticize one actor for for being twitchy and praise another one for being twitchy.

Guess what bub, Ray Park would have been just as deaf in G.I. Joe as Doug Jones in Hellboy.

probably not... actually the design of the head piece is much different...

that's probably why they went with the sunglasses like plastic visor...

so that he could better see what was going on (and not accidently behead someone)

and wereas Abe is supposed to be a nonhuman creature...

snakeyes is not.

and i think i said that parks movements were "jerky" mot "twitchy"

like i said... i hope Mr. Park proves me wrong... but i have zero faith that he will...

probably not... actually the design of the head piece is much different...

that's probably why they went with the sunglasses like plastic visor...

so that he could better see what was going on (and not accidently behead someone)

and wereas Abe is supposed to be a nonhuman creature...

snakeyes is not.

and i think i said that parks movements were "jerky" mot "twitchy"

like i said... i hope Mr. Park proves me wrong... but i have zero faith that he will...

:confused:

"He's not retarded, just mentally disabled."

"It's not visually appealing, it just looks awful."

"That lemon's not bitter, it's sour."

See what I'm saying? "Jerky" and "twitchy" same damn thing. I think you either have something personal against Ray Park (he not sign an autograph for you or something?! :huh) or your potential mancrush on Doug Jones is blinding you to the fact that both actors are very much the same. That reminds me, you do know that, like Ray Park, they dubbed Doug Jones in the first Hell Boy, right? So that wasn't even his "acting" you were hearing.

I have a hard time when people criticize stuff while hiding behind an online handle. I'd be far more accepting to people's negative opinions if they'd simply own up to the statement by attaching their name to it.

I have a hard time when people criticize stuff while hiding behind an online handle. I'd be far more accepting to people's negative opinions if they'd simply own up to the statement by attaching their name to it.

If I had a dollar for every time some "internet toughguy" turned out to be a 90lb, pimply, prepubescent *********, or "internet hotty" turned out to actually be a sweaty, mongoloid cousin of Jabba the Hutt, I'd be a VERY rich man! :lol

dude... my name is publicly known... it's never been a secret...

people have been calling my by my first name on the 1:6 scale forums for a decade...

heck ... it's printed on the spines of the books I edit...

Terry Rosler.

not that names matter... i'm still just faceless words on a screen...

if you want to prove my opinion wrong so much simply post a clip of Mr Park actually acting well.

if you can't do that we're just going to have to agree to disagree...

:confused:

"He's not retarded, just mentally disabled."

"It's not visually appealing, it just looks awful."

"That lemon's not bitter, it's sour."

See what I'm saying? "Jerky" and "twitchy" same damn thing. I think you either have something personal against Ray Park (he not sign an autograph for you or something?! :huh) or your potential mancrush on Doug Jones is blinding you to the fact that both actors are very much the same. That reminds me, you do know that, like Ray Park, they dubbed Doug Jones in the first Hell Boy, right? So that wasn't even his "acting" you were hearing.

actually bitter and sour are different things.... tasted by recepters in different areas of the tongue...

and visually appealing and looks awful are opposites (i think you left out a word somewhere in that sentence)

jerky and twitchy... are different things as well...

twitchy (a word you brought up my the way) is usually a description of someone prone to random movements...

jerky (in the context i used it) is more of a description of the movement itself... in the sense of it being prone to sudden stops and starts or not being a fluid type of movement...

actually the reason they dubbed Jones in the first Hellboy is commonly known...

The studio hoped David Hyde Pierce's name on the posters would bring more people to the theaters than the rest of the cast names...

this backfired on them when pierce insisted that it was Doug Jones performance and refused to be credited for the role or do any publicity...

when the famous actor they hire to dub his voice says that his performance was so good that the dubbing was completely unnecessary... that might say a bit about his skills...

has anyone ever said anything like that about Mr. park's performances???

i have nothing personal against Ray Park...

i just don't think he can act.

but as i said before his martial arts skills are amazing...

Back