The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who loved flash and dc I liked it but I’m not surprised it failed. You don’t just throw in a flashpoint movie in a very first flash film. Also the running looked off and the cgi was a mess. Dc is the dumbest company imaginable. They should have out zoom in the film and casted grant gustin when Ezra was acting crazy. They had all the pieces lined up for a good origin story in a different universe but in typical dc fashion they ruined it. If Superman doesn’t do numbers and bring back the people it’s time to sell those rights.

I look back on that stupid ad with the rock they kept playing .
“ da heiatchy of DCZ UNiverze is bout to chsngez”
Lol like black adam was the character that was going to bring everything together 😂

I've watched it three times now and the fates of Kara and Keaton hit hard every time. Compared to NWH where it's a shock when Tobey Maguire gets stabbed by Goblin and then that scene has absolutely zero impact for every viewing going forward.

I watched all the deleted scenes on the 4K disc. They definitely made a good call with removing every single one IMO and that's just further evidence to me that the director knew what he was doing in making the best film possible.

I read that the original ending had Keaton and Kara showing up at the court house instead of Clooney. That would have been lame IMO. Not only would it have taken the BTTF parallels to a ridiculous level but it's not like those would have been the same characters from the other universe anyway so still not technically a happy ending for them.

Lots of clever little bits in the film. Like Iris West telling original Barry that thinking you can go back in time will drive you insane. Early in the movie it feels like a throw-away line that any normal person who doesn't believe in time travel would say but it turns out to literally foreshadow what happens to young Barry later on. Very cool.

When Barry tells Keaton "I can't bring you back can I?" he thinks it's because Keaton is "fated" to die when in reality it's only because you literally can't change anything in any given timeline, you can only create new ones. So *that* Keaton can never be saved, nor could that Kara or the previous one. This movie is kind of disturbing and sad in a way that I'm still not sure that I like (lol) but I can't deny that it's thoroughly entertaining throughout regardless and absolutely packs a punch.
I think down the line people will appreciate the movie more but it just didn’t hit at the right time. It has very good ideas and a somber ending but the audience didn’t want this right now or they feel burnt by it. I think it’ll gain traction in due time just not now. Kinda like how people grew fondness for the 00s marvel films like ff,punisher and 03 daredevil and ghost rider. Not perfect movies but you sorta love them cause of what they did and they aren’t unwatchable.

I think down the line people will appreciate the movie more but it just didn’t hit at the right time. It has very good ideas and a somber ending but the audience didn’t want this right now or they feel burnt by it. I think it’ll gain traction in due time just not now. Kinda like how people grew fondness for the 00s marvel films like ff,punisher and 03 daredevil and ghost rider. Not perfect movies but you sorta love them cause of what they did and they aren’t unwatchable.
I could definitely see that happening. Good action, genuine stakes, humor, likable characters, etc. I guess much better films like the original Blade Runner or The Thing took years to truly be appreciated so it isn't unheard of but it just feels wrong that it got higher RT scores from both critics *and* audiences than Ant-Man 3 but AM3 made almost double what the Flash took in. Oh well I guess I was part of the problem since I stayed home along with everyone else, lol.

I think a good movie bombing really does go to show that superhero movies might very well be on their way out.

I could definitely see that happening. Good action, genuine stakes, humor, likable characters, etc. I guess much better films like the original Blade Runner or The Thing took years to truly be appreciated so it isn't unheard of but it just feels wrong that it got higher RT scores from both critics *and* audiences than Ant-Man 3 but AM3 made almost double what the Flash took in. Oh well I guess I was part of the problem since I stayed home along with everyone else, lol.

I think a good movie bombing really does go to show that superhero movies might very well be on their way out.
I don’t think that may be the case. It’s just that this movie seemed too much for people. The GA isn’t all that familiar with flash sadly so starting his story up as kinda in the middle of his career while teaming up with multiple batmen and supergirl was just not the way to go about his first solo. But that’s just me

I don’t think that may be the case. It’s just that this movie seemed too much for people. The GA isn’t all that familiar with flash sadly so starting his story up as kinda in the middle of his career while teaming up with multiple batmen and supergirl was just not the way to go about his first solo. But that’s just me
Yeah plus all the Ezra drama and DC's years long shenanigans making people wonder if this movie even mattered.

Exactly!

I think this movie was judged more for it's baggage than the end result because it was just solid entertainment that did a great job showcasing a legacy character. I know a ton of big movies bombed this summer but I think it's too bad that this one didn't do better.

Bought the 4K disc today and am looking forward to much improved sound for my third viewing, lol.
Very true. I bought the 4K and was impressed with the reference quality sound and picture. Lots of cool bits in this movie and I really liked Aquabro pretty much being the same everywhere according to Barry. I do wish the movie did perform better but nonetheless I am glad to have it in the collection. Maverick is the best movie for a legacy character by far so I agree with you on that too. Indy in dial of Destiny was better than Crystal skull but for me his movies ended with them all riding into the sunset of Last Crusade. This year has been a head scratcher for movie performances and next year probably won't be any better with the writer's strike. Still pissed about Dune sequel being pushed back to March.

Right now I'd say my Top 3 are Flash, John Wick 4 and Dead Reckoning.
This is me waiting for Khev to ask for my top three for 2023:

1693485206559.gif

Yeah plus all the Ezra drama and DC's years long shenanigans making people wonder if this movie even mattered.
I enjoyed the movie outside of the babies, Affleck's Batman acting like an idiot when WW arrived and the CGI during the cavalcade of cameos at the end (alas a cavalcade without a Cavill lol). I thought Ezra did a fine job (except for still not learning how to run), and both Keaton and Sasha Calle were great. Perhaps if Ezra behaves himself for the next decade or so history will be a bit kinder to this film?

I enjoyed the movie outside of the babies, Affleck's Batman acting like an idiot when WW arrived and the CGI during the cavalcade of cameos at the end (alas a cavalcade without a Cavill lol). I thought Ezra did a fine job (except for still not learning how to run), and both Keaton and Sasha Calle were great. Perhaps if Ezra behaves himself for the next decade or so history will be a bit kinder to this film?
Agreed. Though I didn't think that the CGI for the cameos was any worse than most other recent attempts to bring back or de-age legacy characters (Tarkin, Leia, Luke, Indy) it still lacked the punch of say EG's portal scene where the real actors all got to appear. At least they were brief enough to not be embarrassing and Cage's extended bit where he got to fight the big spider was really awesome to see. Such a deep cut for modern audiences who'd have absolutely no clue as to why those bits were included or even what films those characters were from, lol.

Poor Brandon Routh.

Batfleck's antics with WW were very silly and even Whedon-esque but I still chuckled so I guess for me it worked, lol. Same with Barry's line when he touched the lasso, since when does it just make you randomly blurt things out like Jim Carrey in Liar Liar. :lol But again I laughed so for me no harm no foul.

I saw some people complaining earlier in the thread that the Batmobile was wasted because it just sits there while Barry takes a nap. I've always preferred the Batwing so I'm glad that that was the focus but I wonder how cool it might have been if they did find an excuse to give the car something to do. I wonder if audiences would have liked it if they had tweaked the Batwing (since they already redesigned it to accommodate multiple passengers) so that the Batmobile could drop out the bottom like the Battfleck bike did at the beginning of the movie. Then before it crashed in the final battle maybe Keaton pulls a lever and surprises everyone by dropping out of the bottom of the plane in the full car and then racing that around the battlefield. Hard to tell if that would have been epic or written off as too "fan-servicey" but in the end I really enjoyed the flow of the battle as it was.

Kudos to the writer and director (and Keaton himself) to have the wherewithal to not do anything divisive or buffoonish with regard to his character. No bathing himself in green titty milk, turning his back on people who needed him, getting defeated by locked doors or immediately face planting the Batwing in a giant pit while "searching for his armor," etc.

Mine are Air, Blackberry and MI7
Agreed. Though I didn't think that the CGI for the cameos was any worse than most other recent attempts to bring back or de-age legacy characters (Tarkin, Leia, Luke, Indy) it still lacked the punch of say EG's portal scene where the real actors all got to appear. At least they were brief enough to not be embarrassing and Cage's extended bit where he got to fight the big spider was really awesome to see. Such a deep cut for modern audiences who'd have absolutely no clue as to why those bits were included or even what films those characters were from, lol.

Poor Brandon Routh.

Batfleck's antics with WW were very silly and even Whedon-esque but I still chuckled so I guess for me it worked, lol. Same with Barry's line when he touched the lasso, since when does it just make you randomly blurt things out like Jim Carrey in Liar Liar. :lol But again I laughed so for me no harm no foul.

I saw some people complaining earlier in the thread that the Batmobile was wasted because it just sits there while Barry takes a nap. I've always preferred the Batwing so I'm glad that that was the focus but I wonder how cool it might have been if they did find an excuse to give the car something to do. I wonder if audiences would have liked it if they had tweaked the Batwing (since they already redesigned it to accommodate multiple passengers) so that the Batmobile could drop out the bottom like the Battfleck bike did at the beginning of the movie. Then before it crashed in the final battle maybe Keaton pulls a lever and surprises everyone by dropping out of the bottom of the plane in the full car and then racing that around the battlefield. Hard to tell if that would have been epic or written off as too "fan-servicey" but in the end I really enjoyed the flow of the battle as it was.

Kudos to the writer and director (and Keaton himself) to have the wherewithal to not do anything divisive or buffoonish with regard to his character. No bathing himself in green titty milk, turning his back on people who needed him, getting defeated by locked doors or immediately face planting the Batwing in a giant pit while "searching for his armor," etc.
I thought the delivery of "Yeah, I'm Batman" and "Let's get nuts" were up there.

Mine are Air, Blackberry and MI7

I thought the delivery of "Yeah, I'm Batman" and "Let's get nuts" were up there.
Just goes to show that one man's treasure is another man's trash. :lol

Because I thought those were two examples of bits that were done particularly *well* due to how casually and naturally he delivered such classic lines.

Poor Brandon Routh.

Actually it wasn't the CGI for the heroes that I thought was poor but rather the rendering of the people along the Speed Force's "Chrono Bowl" time continuum (when Barry was picking when/where to re-enter said continuum), as they looked so artificial/doll-like that it became distracting.
As for the WW/Batfleck scene, I think his goofy mask and the suit making him look like the Michelin Man probably contributed to my view of the scene. It takes some real lameness for me to dislike a scene in which Gal Gadot is a total smoke show lol.

Actually it wasn't the CGI for the heroes that I thought was poor but rather the rendering of the people along the Speed Force's "Chrono Bowl" time continuum (when Barry was picking when/where to re-enter said continuum), as they looked so artificial/doll-like that it became distracting.
Oh okay, lol. Yeah the CGI that surrounded them in the Chrono Bowl was so noticeably different that I have to assume it was a deliberate stylistic choice, however misguided it might have been. I can't think of any other explanation for why they'd use such obvious CGI for actors that were right there in the movie (his parents, etc.) Obviously it doesn't mean that the choice *worked* but at least I can see where they were coming from as opposed to them trying to make it look real and failing spectacularly, lol. For whatever reason timelines that circle the Chrono Bowl just look super cartoony until you enter one.

As for the WW/Batfleck scene, I think his goofy mask and the suit making him look like the Michelin Man probably contributed to my view of the scene. It takes some real lameness for me to dislike a scene in which Gal Gadot is a total smoke show lol.
Poor Ben. His suit got totally upstaged by Keaton's and his Bruce got totally upstaged by Clooney, lol. At least he got a cool bike. :yess:

Poor Brandon Routh.

Damn I want that batmobile scene now!

Movie got worse for me now lol

Back