The Economy Finally Hits the SSF Board

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was supposed to be laid-off several months ago, but they extended my employment until next year. Actually, I had volunteer to quit to take the severance package in this economy. I'm tired of working for corporate, getting calls at 2AM, working 12 hours a day and including every weekend, being on-call 24 hours, working with bozos on the same team and fixing their mistakes...enough is enough.

I'm waiting to take my vacation soon before I look elsewhere. From what I'm hearing, jobs are out there for contractors but not permanent. It doesn't matter if you're contractor or permanent; companies will laid either one.

My advice for others is to start getting in contact with your old friends or peers. Another option is to get on linkedin and find your old friends/peers. People that I have worked with 8 years ago are finding me on linkedin and vice versa. They can help out at their current company. I have already been asked if i'm interested in doing other things outside of my current expertise. So, networking is the way to go now to find another job.

Just remember, EVERY YEAR during Christmas, companies are not hiring. However, they spend their free time in interviewing open position for early next year. Stay positive. Don't think about the negative in your life.

Also to keep in mind that every year, companies tend to laid off all the lazy ass people. It's normal for them to do so in order to bring in new energetic people to do the work. Also, by doing so, they are getting rid of the high paying salary people to bring in the lower salary. Expect a paid cut if you're getting 6 digits.

Good luck to everyone.

We need consumers to spend..spend..spend..in order to improve the economy. So please, spend as much as you can this year so that it can develop a chain reaction of jobs :)

lol I dont think so....over spending is what is destroying the economy! going into more DEBT!! buying useless crap! spending more and more only hurts the individual even much greater and becomes even a greater SLAVE to the Lender.

Horrible advice to give people my friend!!
People need to educate themselves and learn what money really is...because its certainly not the Federal reserve toilet paper (backed by nothing).

to be in Debt, means your a slave to the lender....You will see in your lifetime
an economic crash as the dollar is going bankrupt..paper will be worthless junk!! its coming!!

lol I dont think so....over spending is what is destroying the economy! going into more DEBT!! buying useless crap! spending more and more only hurts the individual even much greater and becomes even a greater SLAVE to the Lender.

Horrible advice to give people my friend!!
People need to educate themselves and learn what money really is...because its certainly not the Federal reserve toilet paper (backed by nothing).

to be in Debt, means your a slave to the lender....You will see in your lifetime
an economic crash as the dollar is going bankrupt..paper will be worthless junk!! its coming!!

Gotta agree. In this economy, polystone is the first thing to go. It just ain't necessary. Not for me anyway. I'm hoarding cash right now. Started selling my stuff off a few months back before the prices really bottom out.

the biggest problem in this country is we spend and live beyond our means...spending money we dont have and creating a debt bubble for your ownself...only to be enslaved by debt......even your dollar declares itself as debt...Legal tender for all DEBTS public and private...paper = Debt ( I owe You)

It's sad but true, with all the advertising and marketing that goes on these days....Everyone is led to believe, that they too can live like movie stars and millionaires, "You want that flash car?....Want that 50" LCD?...want that great home...on YOUR income??" .Yes, you can!". But, the gamble that all those companies took, that most people could afford it, has backfired on them big time.

And unfortunately, everyone is paying for it. But, it also boils down to human greed. People wanting too much, too soon. I think this generation has learned the hard way...If you want something SAVE for it, don't just put it on credit, and think "she'll be right, I'll pay for it next month..".

Because as we all found out..."Next month", was "Oh oh....I lost my job..":monkey2:sick

Disclaimer: I understand that this wasn't everyones situation, and I do realise that not everyone is greedy, and not everyone puts their purchases on credit..

I just cancelled a bunch of stuff... knowing that the economy is going to get worse. Nothing but the must haves from now on!

Sorry for the advice. I thought I was in the millionaire club since we're talking about expensive statues. LOL. I guess it all depends on your career field - some might be tough and others might be blossoming. From what I'm seeing in California, it's not too bad. We're still getting traffic in this economy and the mall is full with traffic every WEEKEND.

How about this? Spend money within your means...and don't go in debt :)

Sorry for the advice. I thought I was in the millionaire club since we're talking about expensive statues. LOL. I guess it all depends on your career field - some might be tough and others might be blossoming. From what I'm seeing in California, it's not too bad. We're still getting traffic in this economy and the mall is full with traffic every WEEKEND.

How about this? Spend money within your means...and don't go in debt :)

Good advice. I have zero credit card debt and want to keep it that way.

Well it looks like I can join the unemlpoyed thread, long story short I got ^^^^ed over and am now out of a damn job! :monkey2

My God do I feel like garbage right now, so many bills and not enough to cover them all. The sad part of it is, I had a great job but something better came up, I took it and am now completely out of a job alltogether.

Basically the new position ^^^^ed me over big time, lied for a lack of better words. I've contacted one of my lawyers this morning, we'll see what happenns.

Sorry freaks, just needed someone to vent to. :( Oh and happy holidays.

Sorry to hear that Voorhees, I hope the lawyer can give you some good advice on how to handle the situation. And you know you're always welcome to vent, we're good for it.

Well it looks like I can join the unemlpoyed thread, long story short I got ^^^^ed over and am now out of a damn job! :monkey2

My God do I feel like garbage right now, so many bills and not enough to cover them all. The sad part of it is, I had a great job but something better came up, I took it and am now completely out of a job alltogether.

Basically the new position ^^^^ed me over big time, lied for a lack of better words. I've contacted one of my lawyers this morning, we'll see what happenns.

Sorry freaks, just needed someone to vent to. :( Oh and happy holidays.

Thats sux big time :mad:

Sorry man.

Ah Man i feel sorry for you,hope you get things sorted out,good luck my friend!

Sorry to hear about the dire situations, my thoughts are with all of you.

To add to the thread, my fiancee has been out of a job for almost five months now and I have been trying to keep afloat by paying everything now: mortgage, bills, food, credit cards, etc. Sometimes we have to resort to credits card because we can't make ends meet at times, especially this time of year. At least some of the profits from my sales have helped, thanks to the Freaks here. I do admit I am amazed at the low prices I post, and no one bites. That shows how bad it is right now.

To add, it has gone to the point now that I can't even pay the minimum on the credit cards. So now I decide: eat, pay mortgage and pay bills and not pay the credits cards? Or pay the credits cards and not eat or have money at all next month? Not even for gas.

Frustrating.

that sucks man, hopefully you'll find something else.
things aren't as rosey as some people would let you believe here in alberta.
though we're still 200 times better off than other areas of canada and usa, things are still tight right now.
if you don't mind me asking what line of work are you in??

that sucks man, hopefully you'll find something else.
things aren't as rosey as some people would let you believe here in alberta.
though we're still 200 times better off than other areas of canada and usa, things are still tight right now.
if you don't mind me asking what line of work are you in??

Thanks again guys.

I had a delivery route but I use to do courier work for 2 major government agencies. My background is Business Marketing but the pay to do brainless deliveries was just too good to pass up so thats what I have been doing the past 14 months.

^^^^ it, nothing will ever beat me down, I will start my own company and kick out the middle man. Its not rocket science, thats what i'm going to do then. This is Alberta for God's sake, plenty of money to be made here!

Good luck Vorhees, sorry to hear about what happened, but keeping positive is usually the best offense we have :rock

Give 'em hell Rock!!!

Back