The Economy Finally Hits the SSF Board

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent about 6 months last year un-employed (still had some part-time work) and it really did suck major ass. Got lucky with my current job and I'm thankful that universities always need counselors.

I work in the news media TV biz and I am just waiting to feel the axe. Many layoffs to come in 2009. One way to survive is cover for several different positions in your company. When the job freezes hit, you become more valueable as people quit. I wish you all good luck who had job lossess recently.

Dude, I'm sure you didn't mean that, but you damned sure shouldn't have typed it.:duh

If we live in a world where people can make a movie about assassinating George W. Bush, and anything else due to out 1st amendment, then I can say and type what I feel. I just hope that people who are members of SAG can think for themselves and see the whole picture and not just continue on with the mob mentality. It will help from putting hunderds of thousands of people out of work, not just crew, but all the businesses who contribute to the industry.

I hope that all of us here never have to sell out stuff to pay bills, but that just isn't the way it is.

Well... not to sound callous but things are pretty much the same for me. Was poor before... still poor now. :lol

One thing that stinks though is that people aren't really buying as many of my items as before. Listing things on this board has gotten pretty tough because people can't afford these luxuries right now.

I wonder when the economy will improve. How long do these things normally take? It's probably going to get worse before it gets better but are we talking about years like this? If so, how depressing!? :(

Even though lost the job and have no idea how were going to pay rent car payment etc. Yesterday as i walked by the salvation army bell ringer i took what change i had in my coat and put it in.

(hope some karma comes back)

Even though lost the job and have no idea how were going to pay rent car payment etc. Yesterday as i walked by the salvation army bell ringer i took what change i had in my coat and put it in.

That is very nice of you to do. I hope you are able to find some good work quickly. I know of a few people already who have been laid off as well.

As a small business owner I've seen my clients dwindle in the past year.. Quite a few super loaded clients I've lost as they were finance or mortage/real estate peeps.. They say they will be back once things pick up again.. But I have a feeling that will be a good year and a half..

I'm probably making a good 3k a month less as opposed to a year ago..

Good luck and karma to those who have lost their jobs and need to support thier family.. I can't imagine the stress that would bring..

Karma will award you,when is unknown but youll be back on your horse soon enough,i really hope things work out for you,you seem like a good guy:)

My thoughts are with all you struggling to make ends meet and those who are looking for new jobs. Wish I could say something that would help......I do believe that when one door closes another opens.......one just never knows exactly when that new door will open. I hope for all you, it happens very, very soon.

Damn, sorrys to the guys who might lose there jobs.

Can't belive how much things have changed in what 2-3 months, the entire world seems to have gone tits up.

This is some damn fine advise.

Suggestions for folks who need cash but have collectibles to move

A) See if you can part out your item or if it's viable or practical to do so.

B) See if you can get trade value in strength for your item. Maybe you can't sell your item, but maybe you can trade it for multiples things you can sell or will be worth something to barter for something else

C) Trade your stuff for military grade 1/6th. The military side of the hobby has a much more robust and established loose parts market. If you trade for the right things, you can make loose parts cash much faster than you can moving boxed sets.

D) As stated before, it's not that great of a time to sell. You might have to ask yourself if your energies are better devoted elsewhere if the return on selling is just way too low for you.

I hope any SAG member who votes YES on a strike gets to watch his loved ones die in a horrible way. Greedy Scumbags.

If we live in a world where people can make a movie about assassinating George W. Bush, and anything else due to out 1st amendment, then I can say and type what I feel.

You're right. You can. The fact you actually feel that way is pathetic.

If we live in a world where people can make a movie about assassinating George W. Bush, and anything else due to out 1st amendment, then I can say and type what I feel.
just because you can say something doesn't mean you should.
~~sorry about the job loss guys. it really sucks that its right before the holidays, but hopefully you'll keep your heads up and still enjoy them.

Well its official, I am done(job gone), got the word today! Thank you all for the kindness given...to both me and krayt...there is definitely a good, family feel on this chatboard.

Last edited:
Back