The Apple thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apple Pay will only matter if there's enough places that accept it,

I'd be surprised if it's not widely accepted in short order. It will be adopted outside of the US even faster as the US is pretty much dead last when it comes to point of sales tech. Contactless payment is nearly ubiquitous in may parts of Canada (like Ontario), primarily used with cards carrying imbedded chips. I can see the Apple's solution pushing this over the top and in a few years you'd be hard pressed to find a shop without a capable terminal.

I think maybe starting next year they're planning on moving all the U.S. credit cards to that tech so maybe it'll push people more that way. But if it can happen with Apple, then it could easily work with Android devices that already support NFC

Ah, but Android devices don't have a secure enclave, no functioning and secure biometric capabilities. They lack the software layers Apple has developed to get the credit cards to sign on at lower rates (geo-positioned transaction data, etc) . Sure it's possible at some point in the future, but this is going to take off because of Apple first and foremost. Android will, as always, follow along.

It's also important to realize that outside of the small number of tech-types, the general populace doesn't look for "Android" - those phones are picked up because they're pushed by or given away free by carriers. iPhones on the other hand are purchased because people want them specifically. This also means more of the device's features and services are used. Higher customer engagement is a powerful motivator - for developers, for partners.

There's of course room for a lot of players at the table. And so long as Apple rakes in the majority of the profits, my stock shares are happy. ;)

Last edited:
Actually there's several Android phones that have fingerprint readers, and it's not like that's the only way to do authentication. I don't know what systems they have for security of that data, but NFC was built for the purpose of what Apple is doing, so they would have to deal with the same issues. I doubt they would have been adding those features without having to consider security.

And people do indeed specifically choose Android phones, Galaxy S and Galaxy Note are both premium cost phones that many people have bought. At one point the Galaxy S by itself was even selling more than the iPhone.

Wow, someone is a Apple Nut Hug Er!

Hope they give the six a better battery. The one on the five sucks ass.

Actually there's several Android phones that have fingerprint readers, and it's not like that's the only way to do authentication. I don't know what systems they have for security of that data, but NFC was built for the purpose of what Apple is doing, so they would have to deal with the same issues. I doubt they would have been adding those features without having to consider security.

And people do indeed specifically choose Android phones, Galaxy S and Galaxy Note are both premium cost phones that many people have bought. At one point the Galaxy S by itself was even selling more than the iPhone.

And they happen to fail miserably at fingerprint scanning, if you're referring to the Motorola Atrix, HTC One and Galaxy S4. From what's been mentioned in reviews, the interfaces for scanning prints seem very clunky and cumbersome with the Android phones, since you're required to frivolously swipe at touch-screens that, more often that not, don't seem very responsive.

As for Galaxy line outselling the iPhone, it has happened a few times in sporadic months. But, I remember reading an article that the iPhone 5s (being already eight months old in July) outsold the Galaxy S5 during its launch month, of all times. I'd typically expect for the Samsung Galaxies to pull ahead of Apple sales during their debuts, since they're much fresher in the market, compared current iPhones that are usually several months away from being replaced by newer models. But, something like that just doesn't bode well for the Galaxy S5.

Ouch: Eight-month-old iPhone 5s outsold the Galaxy S5 in its first full month of sales
https://bgr.com/2014/07/16/galaxy-s5-vs-iphone-5s-sales-may/

Last edited:
Wow, someone is a Apple Nut Hug Er!

Hope they give the six a better battery. The one on the five sucks ass.

It really does. I can usually get more than a full day's worth of use with my 5s if it's idle most of the time. But, using LTE, Safari, Google Maps, and anything else that requires a network connection, just drains the entire charge in a matter of a few hours.

Looking over the specs, the 64 Plus is the way to go. On Apple paper, it has superior screen, OIS camera and better battery life than the iPhone 6. Since I don;t have girly sized hands, it won't look like i'm talking on a tablet.

I'm actually quite conflicted when it comes to which to get. Personally, I hate Phablets. I think a phone is a phone and a tablet is a tablet, and they should be separate from one and other, but there are some things I like better about the 6+. I've been taking more photos, lately, and that optical image stabilization seems pretty nifty, and the 1080p display is pretty awesome, too, but the biggest thing is the battery life. There seems to be a significant jump, and it's most notable with audio. So, there are trade-offs unique to each one. One thing I love, though, is the "reachability" feature, so that, regardless of which you choose, it shouldn't be too hard to maneuver.

I can agree about the phone part, but these devices are no longer just phones. They are pockets computer that you can also make calls on. And phone use is something I hardly do on them. Wanna get ahold of me? Send a text. lol

As for the size, it is nice that Apple is giving people choices instead of forcing what they think people want. Spec wise they are still behind all the Android devices. Could have at least upped the RAM.

I absolutely see where you're coming from, in regards to functionality. Hell, I can attest to that, as I haven't had an actual computer for about a decade. A good 80% of my posts here come from my iPhone, but when I say "phone," I generally mean "a device that doesn't cover half of your face when you talk on it.":lol The comfort's definitely another factor, though. I don't want a phone that feels like it's going to pull my thumb off because it's too large to grasp.

Spec wise they are still behind all the Android devices. Could have at least upped the RAM.

iPhones almost always trail the latest Android phones spec wise but it will be the fastest and smoothest phone on the market when it is released. This is what separates Apple from everyone else IMO. When you have control over the chip, hardware and software design/production you create a product with parts that compliment each other and work together. You don't need 2 or 3 GB of RAM when your system is efficient. That's why they can get away with a dual core processor when other phones are using quad core. Why they continue to use an 8 megapixel camera but produce some of the best photos in mobile. I learned a long time ago to stop being disappointed in their specs because real world performance has never let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run daily. I depend on my iPhone's music app and iTunes Match.

Putting a 6+ and carrying it on an armband it's just not going to happen. My iPhone is the only workout partner I'll ever need, and I don't think I want it to be as fat.

And yeah, it's cool that they are giving people options for a change, but it seems like a bold move not to release another 4 inch model, considering it's been Apple's best seller handset for a long while.

4.7, 128 GB it is, got me a $100 Apple gift-card when I bought my mac a week ago...

BRIING THE PO APPLE!

Think I'm going with the 4.7 64 GB. 128 GB you should never have to delete anything off your phone.. Ever! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

128GB isn't much anymore. Not when you can shoot video at 240 fps. I also can't fit even half my music collection on there. And that's without leaving space for anything else. ;)

Wrt Samsung numbers. Fantasy. Made up. Lies. Look at their financials for a better picture.

Anyone who has used multiple Android phone should come to the same conclusion that Samsung are among the worst in fit finish and usability. The nicest I've personally used have been HTC One and some random flagship from Sony. But I just can't use that garbage OS day to day.

Last edited:
128GB isn't much anymore. Not when you can shoot video at 240 fps. I also can't fit even half my music collection on there. And that's without leaving space for anything else. ;)

iTunes Match is for you then.

Granted, you will depend on your data plan, but if you have unlimited, it's a godsend. If you don't, it'll suck.

There's no such thing as unlimited in canada. But if there was I could also stream from home over vps. Music server will do it plus I can use a better player app. Upload from home is in fact unlimited and fast.

Putting a 6+ and carrying it on an armband it's just not going to happen. My iPhone is the only workout partner I'll ever need, and I don't think I want it to be as fat.

How about a backpack? :lol

I feel the same way. That Plus just sounds so big. :google

Back