The Apple thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really hoping to hear more about the new iCloud improvements tbh.

Their pricing structure right now is ridiculous.

I'm not aware of Samsung's overall sells numbers. I've seen a number of people with the watch so I thought they were doing pretty good.

Wouldn't any significant Siri and Maps boosts have been announced at the iOS8 event? This will be device focused. How secure is NFC? With all the security breaches with major retailers I am in wait and see mode when it comes to NFC.

I'm really hoping to hear more about the new iCloud improvements tbh.

Their pricing structure right now is ridiculous.

Their new pricing structure will be much improved. $1 per month for 20GB and $4 per month for 200GB. It's rumored to go all the way up to 1TB.

No way I would put anything in the cloud, not in todays world. Way too risky. I have a feeling people are going to start moving away from it and also start using cash a whole bunch more..

Wouldn't any significant Siri and Maps boosts have been announced at the iOS8 event?

You're thinking of the WWDC - World-Wide Developer's Conference where iOS 8 was previewed. However that is not the same as the public launch of iOS8 which is coming up today. Apple never reveal absolutely everything about the OS at WWDC, especially if it doesn't affect the ability of developers to address the concerns of their own software.

No way I would put anything in the cloud, not in todays world. Way too risky. I have a feeling people are going to start moving away from it and also start using cash a whole bunch more..

Cash has been dying out for years and that's not going to change. Mobile payments are not cloud based and Apple's purported solution is a lot more secure than a credit card, especially in the US where they still use only mag stripe.

You're thinking of the WWDC - World-Wide Developer's Conference where iOS 8 was previewed. However that is not the same as the public launch of iOS8 which is coming up today. Apple never reveal absolutely everything about the OS at WWDC, especially if it doesn't affect the ability of developers to address the concerns of their own software.

They will talk about software features that relate directly to the new devices.

They will talk about software features that relate directly to the new devices.

Which is why I didn't say they would talk about anything else, but that I'm hopeful iOS8's final release will also bring such (likely server-side) improvements - not that they would spend time on them at the event.

Going back to your previous point, as far as Samsung, I don't feel they have a long-term future in the mobile market. This has nothing to do with Apple, but everything to do with other Android vendors. As far as wearables, I doubt anything Samsung has released or announced will be around this time next year.

Which is why I didn't say they would talk about anything else, but that I'm hopeful iOS8's final release will also bring such (likely server-side) improvements - not that they would spend time on them at the event.

Going back to your previous point, as far as Samsung, I don't feel they have a long-term future in the mobile market. This has nothing to do with Apple, but everything to do with other Android vendors. As far as wearables, I doubt anything Samsung has released or announced will be around this time next year.

Idk Pipes, Samsung devices are quite popular in third world countries, whereas iPhones remain being a luxury item. I was in Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and Peru last year, and they are not going anywhere. Not specifically S5's (those are pricey there too) but Samsung releases phones in every imaginable flavor. Hell, there were models I've never heard of. But yeah, the general idea I got was that most people would get an iPhone IF they could afford it.

Idk Pipes, Samsung devices are quite popular in third world countries, whereas iPhones remain being a luxury item. I was in Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and Peru last year, and they are not going anywhere. Not specifically S5's (those are pricey there too) but Samsung releases phones in every imaginable flavor. Hell, there were models I've never heard of. But yeah, the general idea I got was that most people would get an iPhone IF they could afford it.

Which is why I said it has nothing to do with Apple. It's all about being significantly undercut and out-engineered by lower cost competitors like Xaomi, ZTE, etc. They've already started to show some red. I don't see this getting better for them long term. Samsung is so diversified that I'd never insinuate it could end the company, but when it's no longer profitable to compete in this space, their choices are going to be limited, and it may come down to cutting off that limb. It can happen to much bigger competitors. Look at Nokia. They had such an unimaginable worldwide dominance at one point.

Which is why I said it has nothing to do with Apple. It's all about being significantly undercut and out-engineered by lower cost competitors like Xaomi, ZTE, etc. They've already started to show some red. I don't see this getting better for them long term. Samsung is so diversified that I'd never insinuate it could end the company, but when it's no longer profitable to compete in this space, their choices are going to be limited, and it may come down to cutting off that limb. It can happen to much bigger competitors. Look at Nokia. They had such an unimaginable worldwide dominance at one point.

That makes sense. What do you consider long-term?

Long term = 5+ years. And I'm not saying Samsung would be ready to pull out by the 5 year mark, but that they have already stumbled and the road ahead only looks a lot more bumpy. We'll see roll reversals in the Android camp unless there's some very significant and completely unexpected turn of events. Like what we think of mobile changing dramatically in the same timeframe and Samsung managing to out-innovate everyone else to ride that wave - something I don't expect in the 5 year span.

You see a lot of comments in blogs about Samsung being innovative but I'm not sure where anyone gets that from. Releasing a million dead-end products in hopes that one sticks isn't innovation. Riding the coat tails of Apple and others isn't innovation. They out-market and advertise their Android competitors, but there's only so far that can take you. If your fundamentals aren't cutting it, if you aren't making the returns you need for profitability, all the advertising in the world won't help.

But many more will fall before them. Amazon has already all but failed in mobile. Unless they want to keep flushing money down the toilet (and no one does this as well as Amazon) don't expect them to have a mobile phone for much longer.

I think Samsung has a long future ahead of itself. They've always flooded the market with cheaper android phones, but their Galaxy lines are immensely popular overseas - especially in Asia.

You have to take into consideration that for the past several years, both Samsung and Apple have been making annual, incremental upgrades to their hardware and operating systems. Sure, Apple is rolling out a larger-screen version of iPhone this year, but it goes without saying, that large screen phones (and phablets) have already been popularized immensely by Samsung and HTC. The days of revolutionary innovation in smartphones have long ended, ever since Apple had first popularized a touch-screen interface on their first iPhone in 2007, and after Samsung had released a larger-screen phone with the Galaxy S2 in 2011.

Both companies should continue to have a very competitive future ahead of them (as well as a very profitable one, too).

I like what I saw from the new iphone. Improved camera for my photos and my video reviews, better processor, larger screen, improved hd quality of what I'm seeing, etc. I'm in for a 4.7" 128 model.

I guess biometric secure payment systems are old hat for Android phones. It not the new screen sizes that are significant about today's announcements.

Samsung doesn't need to compete with apple. They need to compete with every other android partner including google themselves. Their bread and butter is low cost products but they're getting a lot if pressure from china. If someone believes that they're in good shape then they should invest. I wouldn't touch them myself as the evidence has been mounting for a long time that they're going to slide.

I like what I saw from the new iphone. Improved camera for my photos and my video reviews, better processor, larger screen, improved hd quality of what I'm seeing, etc. I'm in for a 4.7" 128 model.

Yes.. the new phone looks great. They are showing the watch now and it looks good as well.

Back