The Apple thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long term = 5+ years. And I'm not saying Samsung would be ready to pull out by the 5 year mark, but that they have already stumbled and the road ahead only looks a lot more bumpy. We'll see roll reversals in the Android camp unless there's some very significant and completely unexpected turn of events. Like what we think of mobile changing dramatically in the same timeframe and Samsung managing to out-innovate everyone else to ride that wave - something I don't expect in the 5 year span.

You see a lot of comments in blogs about Samsung being innovative but I'm not sure where anyone gets that from. Releasing a million dead-end products in hopes that one sticks isn't innovation. Riding the coat tails of Apple and others isn't innovation. They out-market and advertise their Android competitors, but there's only so far that can take you. If your fundamentals aren't cutting it, if you aren't making the returns you need for profitability, all the advertising in the world won't help.

But many more will fall before them. Amazon has already all but failed in mobile. Unless they want to keep flushing money down the toilet (and no one does this as well as Amazon) don't expect them to have a mobile phone for much longer.

It's as if Steve Jobs has risen from the grave and put out a press release. Your comment about Samsung possibly pulling out at the 5 year mark is one of the most ridiculous predictions I've ever read and just shows how biased you are. Your spin is truly epic and all of it is your own, not based on any facts or market data. You also frame the market as Samsung vs Apple, when it is Android vs Apple vs Windows, etc. Any one can screw up,except Apple, right? Remember companies that ruled markets, then fizzled into oblivion? 3DFX, Blackberry, et al. It can happen to anyone, but Apple, right?

Apple no longer sets the bar. They release features that other brands released years ago. NFC, larger screens...truly innovating...years ago.

Apple no longer sets the bar.

Hold on a second, I need to wind up a little bit here. Hahahahaha. Ok. Setting the bar. Funny. Apple *IS* the bar. Anyone from Samsung, Microsoft or Google speaking honestly will tell you the same thing.

WRT to Samsung's eventual failure in mobile I specifically, and multiple times, said it has nothing to do with Apple. It's to do with other Android producers.

And wrt to competition it's not about an OS battle here. It's every manufacturer for themselves and it's about profits. Apple is clearly the leader overall, working at the high end. When the other Android producers suck up the entirety of the low end, Samsung's position will be only more obvious. But, you can ignore financial statements all you want.

WRT to 3DFX? Yeah, I helped put them in the grave while I was working for one of the two rivals that decimated them. This along with RIM's predicament have little to no bearing on the state of mobile as 3DFX and RIM never captured an overwhelming percentage of the industry profits, nor were they playing in a market of the magnitude of today's mobile landscape.

Lastly, this is an Apple thread. Maybe you should go find or start an Anti-Apple thread if you'd care to continue with baseless and uninformed diatribes.

My first cell phone was an iPhone, and my next phone will be an iPhone. Are they the most revolutionary products? No, but they've got a great user interface, and it's one that I've become very comfortable with over the years. There are enough improvements in the iPhone 6 to make it appealing to me, as an iPhone user, and, as an iPhone user, they're not "old news" to me.

If I could use a simple analogy to sum up Apple vs. other brands, the other brands are the explorers. They discover the uncharted territory. Apple are the developers who buy the property for pennies on a dollar and build cities on it.

The keynote presentation was great. Got a couple if interesting things in it...Apple pay and apple watch.

The thing that really struck me about the apple watch was how normal it looked. I can see people wearing it and not getting stick for it.

Hold on a second, I need to wind up a little bit here. Hahahahaha. Ok. Setting the bar. Funny. Apple *IS* the bar. Anyone from Samsung, Microsoft or Google speaking honestly will tell you the same thing.

Lastly, this is an Apple thread. Maybe you should go find or start an Anti-Apple thread if you'd care to continue with baseless and uninformed diatribes.

"Were" the bar. The days when they set it, are over.

What are you smoking? I never tried to tie 3DFX's downfall to the current mobile market. Also - 3DFX was the king of the market, before they were smoked by Nvidia and ATI.

I need to start an anti-apple thread because I don't agree with your fanboyism? That is the equivalent of telling someone they can't comment on a statue unless they've bought it, or like it. It's called a discussion and you can't shut someone up because they aren't carrying some consumer product's water, with you. There is no one here who is more full of fanboyism than you. All you do is post your opinion, along with anecdotal evidence. I don't care where you work/worked or how you spin things. You can't create your own reality.

Apple is not "clearly the market leader" as you put it, even as you add the "high end" caveat so someone can't come back and call you out. They are a clear 2nd place to Android, but spin away fanboy. Check the market share of Android vs Apple, not Android vs high end competitors. So lame, but that's your m.o.

I have no dog in this fight, as I've had an iPhone and currently have a Samsung GS5 and Windows Phone 8. I just hate fanboy b.s. and you are the king of it, especially as you tell me to get out of the thread, because I'm not fawning over Apple products. I have an iPad, which I think is great, so again, you have no idea on what you're talking about.

Anyway, I will go away so you can continue to post your spin, anecdotal evidence, job history as a basis for proving your technical expertise, so people will buy into your personal opinions.

Enjoy your Apple release day, because I doubt there's anything more important to you.

<3

9to5mac.com has decent coverage of all the announcements.

Watch starts at $350. Decent, but not my cup of tea. Not something that would get me to start wearing a watch regularly. It's interesting to see some of the original iPhone design cues in the watch and new 6 models.

If I could use a simple analogy to sum up Apple vs. other brands, the other brands are the explorers. They discover the uncharted territory. Apple are the developers who buy the property for pennies on a dollar and build cities on it.

In some cases yes, in other cases no. Apple put touch-based interfaces on the map first for phones and then for tablets. Android would have made a good Blackberry competitor, but it was not destined to be touch based at all until Apple lead the way. Android manufacturers produce hardware to take advantage of software someone else releases - they're never going to be precisely in sync. When you have control of both, you can create finished experiences and that's what I care about. Clearly a lot of other people do to.

So it's easy to ignore specific specs like NFC (one example) - what good is it until the experience fits in with your lifestyle and can be made ubiquitous? Apple Pay is the news item, not NFC. Apple Pay will set the gold standard for contactless payment.

Not everyone understands these things and some people hate no matter if they understand or not. Some haters even have to jump into threads they're clearly not interested in, just to try and crap on someone else's party with insults an opinion not supported by facts.

Last edited:
Everyone else glad Pilky's gone? I am. :banana

In situations like this I'm always surprised I don't see someone come out and say they're 16 or something similar. That would be the ultimate burn on me. I'd feel like a total idiot for engaging. Wow, so burned. That would probably leave me feeling a sting for quite a while.

Last edited:
Okay, I just read the announcement of the two new iPhones: the iPhone 6 (4.7 in screen) and iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inch screen). I love the new hardware enhancements, but I just wish if they included a smaller screen option, because 4 inches is perfect for me; my iPhone 5s fits comfortably in my pocket and I can hold it in one hand without felling like I'm going to drop it. The curved edges on the iPhone 6 look very sleek, too.

I just hope my IPad can support IOS 8, they told me it might not and I can't afford a new one right now :gah:

what ipad do you have? I have the 2.

iPad 2 and iPhone 4S or newer will run iOS 8. Older iPads haven't seen an iOS update since 6, and unfortunately it's the end of the line for OS updates for the iPhone 4.

My ipad2 runs soooooooo slowly.

Then you can imagine an iPhone4 running an 800MHz A4 instead of the 1GHz dual core A5 you have in that iPad. ;) Even the 4S is dramatically faster (but not as fast as your iPad) and I can understand that given the content of iOS8, why they would have made the cut-offs they did. Am I happy about it? As a shareholder, sure because it means they didn't spend all their time polishing a turd (optimizing for 4 year old hardware). As an iPhone 4 owner, no as I'd still love to have this running the latest along with an additional phone. ;)

Just trashed my 4 for the 5s so yes. I know exactly what your talking about.

iPad 2 and iPhone 4S or newer will run iOS 8. Older iPads haven't seen an iOS update since 6, and unfortunately it's the end of the line for OS updates for the iPhone 4.

I have a 2 but Apple told me themselves when I called for a tech issue that the IOS 8 was geared for the 3rd generation and a Retina versions of iPad as well as iPad Air and although it might be alright for the iPad 2 it's not the most compatible and might cause problems in the long run because the processor isn't strong enough.

In other words, the iIpad 2 technology is drawing straws :slap

Forget the first iPad , not even an option.

The watch is way too expensive, considering many of the Android watches are much cheaper, even the Moto360 is cheaper. And one thing that's a problem is that there's really no reason for the device, nothing like the iPhone/iPad/iPod where you figure you could really use the features. Apple Pay will only matter if there's enough places that accept it, but that was always the issue--not that Apple is doing anything innovative, as far as Android goes they weren't able to get much interest in support for the feature.

Back