The Apple thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I currently have a subscription to icloud, will I be charged for the going rate now when the time comes?

Yeah I read that they have begun sending emails to current iCloud subscribers to bump up the storage allotments and refund a prorated portion of the fee.

But you gotta give credit where it's due, and those commercials are really funny, and really on the money as far as depicting some of the hardcore apple heads.

Most of the credit has to go to their ad agency. I've been in the tech industry a long time and have worked more trade shows than I can count, so I've met some pretty hard-core Apple fans, however the ad agency has not depicted them at all correctly. ;) But these hardcore folks are only a small minority of the customer base, even though the ads would try and sell you on the whole sheep mentality. There are some funny bits, but there are also too many insulting bits. And these insulting bits aren't going to get anyone with an iPhone or Apple products to switch to a Samsung product - probably quite the opposite. In that sense they're masturbation videos, aka "fanservice" that will only truly be appreciated by Samsung owners who want to feel smug.

Do you have a Apple sticker on your vehicle?

Hell no. I've never put an Apple sticker on anything except one external hard drive enclosure to visually identify it from a small pile of otherwise identical boxes.

The new iCloud pricing tiers are live now.

20 GB $0.99 a month
200 GB $3.99 a month
500 GB $9.99 a month
1TB $19.99 a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I upgraded to the 200gb plan. I was using the 20 gb per year plan but thought I'd give myself more room to save more pictures, videos, etc plus anything else with that much room.

Where's the 10TB plan?

$10/month for 1TB at Dropbox - iOS integration should improve with iOS8 (extensions), but will never be baked into everything nor convenient as iCloud, especially for backups and iTunes integration. iOS8 also brings Dropbox-like abilities to iCloud in the form of iCloud Drive - this would likely work in a similar way to third party offerings via the document picker with extensions.

Last edited:
Question-

In the past, all my iCloud storage needs and ITunes Match sub were charged to my iTunes account credit. I always have credit there, on top of my credit card of course.

Seeing how these itunes prepaid cards go on sale up to 20% off sometimes, it ends to being a great deal to pay with that for said services.

Now that they are moving to a monthly billing system, will this still be the case? Will they charge my iTunes credit first by default as it's been for the past two years?

I've been wanting to call apple and ask, but if someone here knows that will be greatly appreciated.

Now that they are moving to a monthly billing system, will this still be the case? Will they charge my iTunes credit first by default as it's been for the past two years?

I would imagine yes, but I don't know for sure. There are already subscription purchases possible on the store, so iCloud should work the same way, right? That would mean store pre-paid balance gets used before billing to a credit card.

I'm thinking about getting a 4.7" 64GB. I'd rather have more memory on my iPad than my phone so the 128GB is a pass. The watch is interesting but I'm not sure if it's an immediate buy. I like my Pebble watch but the iWatch definitely looks like it's going to be more impressive graphics-wise as well as being more compatible with apps. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells and what issues pop up with it.

Yeah. IPad "pro" perhaps?

Something needs to be different with the new iPad for sure, as IMO the 6+ renders the mini completely useless, and leaves the air as a luxury item.

IMO the 6+ renders the mini completely useless,

That's not quite fair, the iPad mini is much bigger than the new 5.5" iPhone. That almost 2.5" of extra diagonal size makes a big difference. It's also less expensive than the iPhone, and saving money will never be useless. ;)

For those looking for a cloud storage service--just so you know there's much better choices outside of iCloud---for instance, Dropbox recently changed their service and now you can get 1TB for $9.99 a month.

For those looking for a cloud storage service--just so you know there's much better choices outside of iCloud---for instance, Dropbox recently changed their service and now you can get 1TB for $9.99 a month.

I'm completely sure we all know that.

But for all intends and purposes, iCloud backs up your IOS devices seamlessly and it's a great way to never use your computer again.

Can you back up an iPad, an iPhone and a Mac the way iCloud does it? So that when you get a new device it'll be the same way the "old" one was?

That's not quite fair, the iPad mini is much bigger than the new 5.5" iPhone. That almost 2.5" of extra diagonal size makes a big difference. It's also less expensive than the iPhone, and saving money will never be useless. ;)

Ya I have actually heard from quite a few people say that the large iPhone is useless to them because they have and like the mini.

Ya I have actually heard from quite a few people say that the large iPhone is useless to them because they have and like the mini.

That's also not Apples to Apples because the iPhone has some extras, like cellular radios, GPS, a good camera (and LED flash) ;) I'm sure a lot of people can get away with using only one or the other and I'm sure iPhone 6 Plus sales will cannibalize some iPad mini sales, but they each have benefits that don't overlap each other.

I use my iPhone regularly, but I never use either of the two iPads in the house. I don't see that changing at any point in the future. My daughter uses the fist iPad as her computer and portable entertainment device, and my wife uses her iPad as her primary home computer (with some difficulties, especially a complete inability to easily apply for jobs due to file management/upload issues.)

I use my iPhone when I'm away from home, but almost exclusively use my iPad at home. I prefer to read all my comics and books on the larger iPad, as well as surf the internet on it. Plus, it's easier to use the iPad than the iPhone to connect to my computer at work when home or out of town.

That's also not Apples to Apples because the iPhone has some extras, like cellular radios, GPS, a good camera (and LED flash) ;) I'm sure a lot of people can get away with using only one or the other and I'm sure iPhone 6 Plus sales will cannibalize some iPad mini sales, but they each have benefits that don't overlap each other.

I use my iPhone regularly, but I never use either of the two iPads in the house. I don't see that changing at any point in the future. My daughter uses the fist iPad as her computer and portable entertainment device, and my wife uses her iPad as her primary home computer (with some difficulties, especially a complete inability to easily apply for jobs due to file management/upload issues.)

Maybe, I am just telling you what I heard from numerous people who both own iPhones and iPad minis.

I use my iPhone when I'm away from home, but almost exclusively use my iPad at home. I prefer to read all my comics and books on the larger iPad, as well as surf the internet on it. Plus, it's easier to use the iPad than the iPhone to connect to my computer at work when home or out of town.

I do the same.

Back