The Amazing Spider-Man - OPEN SPOILERS NOW

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Spider-Man: The Reboot!

N2irn1dIiZeOQWB.jpg

:lol

Stupid McFarlane eyes!! :rotfl

BB

hmmmm

I come home from work and some posts have been deleted....:lol

Whatever the case, ya know, there’s only one really depressing thing about the current “Spider-Man” series coming to an end…… DYLAN BAKER NEVER GOT TO PLAY THE LIZARD!! (____, I’d be chasing some coin, man!). Baker, who plays Dr Curt Connors in the "Spider-Man" series, had been promised he'd get his moment to be 'The Lizard' (Connor's alter-ego) in a future film... but with the studio restarting the series,it's unlikely they're going to keep Baker, and scrap everyone else.
But hey, thems the breaks.

Seriously... it's such a logical step to make a Spider-Man 4 with the Lizard. The character was already hinted at, he's one of the more classic villains, and theres already an established relationship between Parker and Connors.

Theres' no need for a reboot. Replace the director, replace the lead actors, I don't care, but it's not like the Batman films, which were completely ruined with Forever and Robin, causing the franchise to require a complete overhaul. For Spider-man, we get two great films and one average/bad film, and Sony goes the trendy reboot route?

The franchise in its current form is still salvageable. There are still so many potential stories to tell with the preexisting film cannon. It just seems like no one at Sony is willing to try.

Mark my words, the new Spider-man movie will totally be in 3D. Just look at CES for the signs.

and Sony goes the trendy reboot route?

Here is the thing. Reboots are supposed to "cleanse the pallet" right? Let's look at Keaton's Batman franchise, he instituted a dark overall feel, a troubled almost jaded Bruce Wayne, a Gotham that was corrupt and that was run by the mob and it all had a very Gothic feel to it. His sequel then continues Bruce's issues but removes the mob as if Joker's death eliminated it and continues corruption but on an individual level. He definitely with this film allowed more of his styling to be seen with Penguin's design even the character of Max Shrek. Then Schumacher takes over and keeps Wayne troubled, but removes darkness by adding comedy. The cops make jokes, the villains make jokes, Two-Face wears outlandish bright suits, their henchmen easily identified, their schemes more grandose. A connection is there but loose. Then with Batman and Robin comes in and you see Schumacher really let loose. While there were gothic statues in Forever in B&R every ____ing building looks as if it were held up by some statue like a city filled with Atlas guiding its inhabitants. Everyone knows Batman, he isn't a myth, the characters become more cartoony, he has a ____ing credit card. No one is complaining that after all of that you needed to reboot to cleanse because Nolan's world would seem ironically way out of place against the Gothic backdrop of the first two of the cartoony one of the last.

So let's look at Raimi. They've made changes, organic web-shooters so you eliminate much of Parker's scientific prowless as well as a well used story element of Pete having to work so he could pay for supplies to fight crime. Pete remains very geeky after high school, another change from the books where by the time he was in College he had a good group of friends supporting characters and had come into his own still caring for his Aunt May but still very much a young adult with issues and problems facing him other than just villainy.

You had the combination of characters, Mary Jane was almost every female in Spidey from Liz Allen to Gwen Stacy to glimpses of Mary Jane herself who strangely enough doesn't have the sultry sassy Mary Jane complex who likes to ____ with Pete's head but dates Harry and is a pain in his ass as much as an object of desire. Yet there isn't anything to play off of. Gwen begins to hate Spider-Man because Doc Ock kills her father by accident and she blames him. While they had that relationship in their with Pete and Harry and that was in the books it was never more taxing on Peter than having the woman he loved hating who he was and that is just one example.

You have Spider-Man who was so secretive of who he was to protect those he loved that he even left the Baxter Building once with a bag over his head, suddenly take of his mask or get damaged enough to always see his face, hell a car full of Subway passengers has seen his face.

You have a continual ____ing with canon. Spidey loses his powers but almost a year's worth of dealing with it and regaining in the books is smashed into 5 minutes and we smile, why? Spider-Man 2 was a good movie overall so we forgive. If Spider-Man 3 was we'd be forgiving as well. You have Mary Jane living next door where he could pine over her for years instead of being Anna Watson's niece who comes in and knocks him for a loop from the get go. Mary Jane is a loser, Pete is a loser, hell even Harry is one. The whole crew gets to be a group of misfits put together trying to make their way even down to the mopey Aunt May. One of the big ones is first the crook kills Ben, then he doesn't. Then it was Sandman, yes in Burtonesque form the main villain suddenly gets tied back to the hero's past only for them to meet again, I expected Church to say "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

The biggest? You had a ____ing Spider-Man day. A celebration where Spidey swings in and gives a Public Photo-op complete with saving a damsel in distress and having everyone love him. One of the funner things in the books is that Spider-Man is hated. He laments how people love Iron Man, love Captain America, love The Avengers but thanks to his own Negative Press Representative in J. Jonah Jameson, people still hate and fear him, they think he is a crook. That is a common point of comedy that he has to change people's perceptions one save at a time. Don't get me started on the lack of humor that comes out of Spidey's mouth, where was my wisecracking web-slinger who even in getting his ass kicked still cracked a joke.

I would say that a cleanse is in order. Why? The next director if continuing would have to continue this trend where Pete is the "why me?" character that is even having troubles in college, while in the books he is so great a Science and loves it so much that he even teaches it for a while. They have to continue the boring Mary Jane characters and their relationship. They'd have to accept Raimi's Spiderverse where people love him despite JJJ and years after high school Pete still can't get his ____ together. Pete had his problems but was never a total ____ing mess where he is eating cake in the room of his landlord's daughter's kitchen instead of blowing off steam by even webslinging, remember that? How Pete sometimes stumbled upon these supervillains while clearing his head and kicked the ____ out of them because of something else going on in his life? Almost every dealing with The Rhino was like this. The next director to continue his universe couldn't radically change this because it'd be amazingly noticable.

Did Raimi's films have merit? Of course, Spider-Man 2 was the bar held for Comic Book movies until TDK. I loved how the characters no matter how cartoony were being pushed to be grounded in reality. How the suit looked so close to the comics compared to the conceptuals it could have been. I liked the inclusion of Curt Connors although now it was just a cocktease and I was dying for more inclusions of side characters instead of eliminations. Flash Thompson anyone? Raimi films were good for what they were. He took a boring Tobey Maguire who had no real charisma up there and a trainwreck of Dunst and made them characters you at least rooted for. He made the amazing miscasting of James Franco work even though that wasn't the Harry we knew or expected.

They weren't perfect. They do not deserve to be immortalized as untouched. Donner's Superman films weren't perfect but they were good they are what you remember but the character shouldn't be off limits all of a sudden. Singer's X-Men weren't perfect even Nolan's Batman films aren't perfect but at least they are keeping the characters in the public consciousness. Just like there are still Burton Batman fans or Reeve Superman fans despite what goes on they'll always be Tobey Spidey fans but let them cleanse the pallet and give us hopefully something closer to the books (which would cause them to go back to High School), something fresh and original and something for new fans to follow. If they can't it'll be schumachered and then we'll see another in a few years but at least we'll see it.

Fine by me i didn't want him.

Cameron Not Interested in Spider-Man Reboot
Source:MTV
January 16, 2010

On Thursday, Avatar director James <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_1_0">Cameron's </nobr> name popped-up on a potential list of directors for Sony's Spider-Man reboot, coming in 2012. MTV asked Cameron if there was any truth to it tonight.

"No, no," Cameron said. "It's a little bit sloppy seconds, let's face it. I haven't gotten a phone call. I don't expect to — certainly [not] after this interview. But if you're thinking about it, it's sloppy seconds. I'm not interested."

Our guess is that Cameron will move right into the Avatar sequel considering the film has already reached $1.42 billion worldwide and will likely surpass Titanic's $1.84 billion before it exits theaters.

On a side note i'm bored and this music rocks!

(isn't this Aerosmith? I forget or just Joe Perry?)
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/drZtJHT_O5U&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Last edited:

Yeah that music was Joe Perry from Aerosmith. I was well impressed when i noticed his name. One of the best theme tunes from a cartoon, along with the x men theme. Awesomeness.

maybe i'm mistaken, but didn't sony's picture deal for the spidey series total six movies, and then it went back to marvel studios???

Vulturess? This reboot is a blessing!
If they really do go the Batman Begins route and at least somewhat stick to the comics(by NOT introducing their own characters) it should be a decent flick.

maybe i'm mistaken, but didn't sony's picture deal for the spidey series total six movies, and then it went back to marvel studios???

That was before the resigning that occurred three years ago. Even though Marvel Studios was in full fledged movie making mode, Marvel decided to resign the deals with Sony for Spidey. I believe they resigned deals with all the characters that were sold before...

That was before the resigning that occurred three years ago. Even though Marvel Studios was in full fledged movie making mode, Marvel decided to resign the deals with Sony for Spidey. I believe they resigned deals with all the characters that were sold before...

well that just fackin sucks.:banghead:banghead so spidey's going to be in his own little universe for ever then.

maybe disney will just buy sony:naughty problem solved:banana:banana

It's Official! Marc Webb to Direct Spider-Man!
Source:Columbia Pictures, Marvel Studios
January 19, 2010

Marc Webb, the director of the Golden Globe-nominated Best Picture (500) Days of Summer, will direct the next chapter in the Spider-Man franchise, set to hit theaters summer 2012, it was jointly announced today by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Written by James Vanderbilt, Webb will work closely with producers Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin in developing the project, which will begin production later this year.

Commenting on the announcement, Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, said, "At its core, Spider-Man is a small, intimate human story about an everyday teenager that takes place in an epic super-human world. The key for us as we sought a new director was to identify filmmakers who could give sharp focus to Peter Parker's life. We wanted someone who could capture the awe of being in Peter's shoes so the audience could experience his sense of discovery while giving real heart to the emotion, anxiety, and recklessness of that age and coupling all of that with the adrenaline of Spider-Man's adventure. We believe Marc Webb is the perfect choice to bring us on that journey."

Arad and Ziskin added jointly, "Over the years, the Spider-Man comics have been told with bold and creative new writers and artists who have re-calibrated the way audiences see Peter Parker. Marc Webb will do for the new direction of the films what so many visionary storytellers have done with the comic books. He is an incredibly talented filmmaker and we look forward to working closely with him on this new adventure."

Webb said, "This is a dream come true and I couldn't be more aware of the challenge, responsibility, or opportunity. Sam Raimi's virtuoso rendering of Spider-Man is a humbling precedent to follow and build upon. The first three films are beloved for good reason. But I think the Spider-Man mythology transcends not only generations but directors as well. I am signing on not to 'take over' from Sam. That would be impossible. Not to mention arrogant. I'm here because there's an opportunity for ideas, stories, and histories that will add a new dimension, canvas, and creative voice to Spider-Man."

Stan Lee, co-creator of Spider-Man, added, "I'm excited that Sony has chosen a director with a real penchant and understanding for the character. This is a brave, bold direction for the franchise, and I can't wait to see what Marc comes up with next."

Added Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, "The idea of re-imagining the on-screen story for one of the world's most iconic superheros is sure to deliver an exciting new dimension to Spider-Man fans everywhere. There are volumes of comics and material available to inspire fresh and compelling takes on Peter Parker and his journey as Spidey and we look forward to seeing this come alive onscreen."

Marc Webb has won acclaim with his film debut (500) Days of Summer. He has several MTV VMAs™ including 2009's Best Director award for Green Day's "21 Guns," 2006 Best Rock Video for AFI's "Miss Murder," and Best Group Video for The All-American Rejects' "Move Along." The Music Video Production Association honored him in 2006 as the Director of the Year for his work with Weezer, AAR, and My Chemical Romance.

In addition to two Golden Globe nominations including Best Picture (musical or comedy), his first feature film, (500) Days of Summer, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, has been nominated for three Independent Spirit Awards, including Best Feature. Webb was also awarded the Spotlight Award, which honors outstanding directorial debuts, by the National Board of Review.

I have a bad feeling about this. He's only done one movie, and then BAM right onto spiderman. Guess Sony got their YES MAN. Plus he's done a bunch of music videos.(hope we don't get a SM geared towards the MTV crowd, or twilight )

Now we have to go back to PP's teen years. (again!)

We'll see.

I loved 500 Days of Summer and see alot of potential in Webb. Actually don't mind seeing him take the helm of my beloved Spidey. I am worried though about casting. As much as I would love to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Peter.....just don't see it happening. Sadly I see a Zac Efron being casted.

so what's happening with the original SM4 movie then??? it's toast then, all because a director wouldn't agree with fackin sony??:confused:

if so sony needs a _____ slap imo.

Back