Streetfighter IV

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, what's with the championship mode not concluding my matches properly. I had probably 6 or so of them and it bumped my DC to 2% =(

And seriously, I've never fought so many cheap players tonight. throw after throw after throw. endless fireball chucking. akuma teleports everywere. arghhhh.

Man, what's with the championship mode not concluding my matches properly. I had probably 6 or so of them and it bumped my DC to 2% =(

And seriously, I've never fought so many cheap players tonight. throw after throw after throw. endless fireball chucking. akuma teleports everywere. arghhhh.

Actually these days, I eagerly look foward to fighing Akuma, Ken and Ryu... like seriously, I've fought so many of them -- and that includes Akumas -- that it's vastly helped improve my game. Previously Ken's bleeding 100hit flaming eternal death shoryuken had me running for the hills... thats all the Ken players ever do: Jump in + flaming sho + [perhaps] mix up game a bit + repeat process... right now I actually goad them into doing that move :naughty:naughty

I'm not saying all Ken players are like that, that'll be daft and myopic, what I'm saying is that because Ken is so easy to pick up and play with, a lot of n00bs get away with cheap wins... especially those that set the no. of rounds to 1 :horror:horror

Blanka's still a bit tricky though, but I'm getting there I think :peace

Yeah, I usually don't mind playing any character, but it seemed like that day EVERYONE was using the cheapest tactics to win. It gets irritating when people just keep using the same annoying cross up combos every time, and usually, I can shrug off a cheap player, but not 15 in a row.

Im not trying to personally attack anyone so hope you dont take it that way...

I remember back in the days of SFII arcade....people would get so pissed if you block grabbed them. Maybe for good reason because perhaps reversals were not as effective against that tactic back then. At that time i was in middle school so i conformed to that way of thinking...and never block grabbed anyone...and have never really got into the other SF franchises other than IV since SFII arcade days.

But as im much older now, why is it seen as cheap? Im no pro by any means but watching the pro tournaments, they do it all the time and i think it's just another thing that you have to adjust to. In IV it's very easy to counter a block+grab attempt if you know what you are doing...i think it keeps your opponent on their toes and gives them something extra to think about the next time you are in close with them. We all know SF is all about mind games.

Plus the cross up thing...if two good players are playing each other....how else are they supposed to score any hits besides countering? Without crossups, all you would be doing every match is projectiles, and blocking hits. decent players know how to block or avoid projectiles...the match would not go anywhere. crossups are one of the only ways to actually get an opening on the opponent further capitalizing on their mistake which in this case would be blocking the wrong direction.

I understand some people have a sort of code of conduct when playing SF, but honestly why?

Actually these days, I eagerly look foward to fighing Akuma, Ken and Ryu... like seriously, I've fought so many of them -- and that includes Akumas -- that it's vastly helped improve my game. Previously Ken's bleeding 100hit flaming eternal death shoryuken had me running for the hills... thats all the Ken players ever do: Jump in + flaming sho + [perhaps] mix up game a bit + repeat process... right now I actually goad them into doing that move :naughty:naughty

I'm not saying all Ken players are like that, that'll be daft and myopic, what I'm saying is that because Ken is so easy to pick up and play with, a lot of n00bs get away with cheap wins... especially those that set the no. of rounds to 1 :horror:horror

Blanka's still a bit tricky though, but I'm getting there I think :peace

Ken is one of my main characters and i cant imagine playing like that...that is total scrub play and should not even be considered as the norm. If only Ken's power was closer to Ryu's I'd be playing him over Ryu right now in championship mode...however when facing sagats, giefs, and boxers, i need Ryu's extra oomph to give me all the edge I can get over those chars.

When using ken i like his standing fwd kick, which is a great way to gain ground without jumping. Also you can kara throw with it, which is amazing and i use it often to keep the opponent guessing. Ken's strengths are suited more for pressuring your opponent, and if you can corner them that's the ideal spot.

I understand what you're talking about Nash, but I'm not talking about the occasional throw or crossup. My ^^^^^ing was due to players who jumped in with a jump kick and followed with a throw, then crossed up and threw, jumped in and threw and that was all they were doing. and it wasn't with just one guy. It was going on game after game after game. Since I play online with Chun-Li, who doesn't have any good anti-air counters (except for her EX spinning bird kick) it's extremely frustrating dealing with stuff like that.

And when it's a GOOD player who knows the right timing, that pisses me off even more. They could actually be using real attacks and mixing things up to kick my butt, but they rather resort to cheap tactics to guarantee a win. I don't mind a 7 hit combo ending with an ex cancel into a super or ultra that takes off half my life. I'll congratulate you for pulling that off. but if you can do that, why resort to making every other attack you do a throw?

I do my share of throwing and cross ups at opportune times, but there has to be a balance somewhere. Its like knowing you can kick someone's ass in real life, but during the fight all you do is kick the guy in the balls to knock them down, then continue kicking them there until they're infertile. Maybe I'm too moral, but you just don't do that.

Well I see more and more with people playing a lot of games online, they don't care if they way they win is cheap. They just want to win. That is the same be it cheap moves in Street Fighter or a lag switch on Call of Duty.

They don't want to win by skill if they don't have to. To them, a win is a win even if it is gotten the cheap way.

I understand what you're talking about Nash, but I'm not talking about the occasional throw or crossup. My ^^^^^ing was due to players who jumped in with a jump kick and followed with a throw, then crossed up and threw, jumped in and threw and that was all they were doing. and it wasn't with just one guy. It was going on game after game after game. Since I play online with Chun-Li, who doesn't have any good anti-air counters (except for her EX spinning bird kick) it's extremely frustrating dealing with stuff like that.

And when it's a GOOD player who knows the right timing, that pisses me off even more. They could actually be using real attacks and mixing things up to kick my butt, but they rather resort to cheap tactics to guarantee a win. I don't mind a 7 hit combo ending with an ex cancel into a super or ultra that takes off half my life. I'll congratulate you for pulling that off. but if you can do that, why resort to making every other attack you do a throw?

I do my share of throwing and cross ups at opportune times, but there has to be a balance somewhere. Its like knowing you can kick someone's ass in real life, but during the fight all you do is kick the guy in the balls to knock them down, then continue kicking them there until they're infertile. Maybe I'm too moral, but you just don't do that.

I see what youre saying...I get irritated by gief players who constantly do that flaming hand into spinning piledriver...but that's the way he was made...so i guess it's only natural that players will exploit that. I guess I see these things as more annoying than cheap or cheating.

Well I see more and more with people playing a lot of games online, they don't care if they way they win is cheap. They just want to win. That is the same be it cheap moves in Street Fighter or a lag switch on Call of Duty.

They don't want to win by skill if they don't have to. To them, a win is a win even if it is gotten the cheap way.

How can you compare cheap tactics in SF to lag switches? cheap tactics don't alter or render your play useless. I'd say 95% of the time there is an EASY solution to counter someone's cheap tactics...it's just that you get upset when you can't pull it off and that person has more success than you do. Someone jump kicking you and following it up with a throw is NOT unguardable. that is EASY to counter, you just have to have the right timing, or in most cases jab or short spam. simple...yet when you are not expecting it, it catches you off guard and you get pissed off.

It's not that I'm saying they are the same tactics, lag switches and cheap moves. I'm just saying people use them to get easy wins. They use both methods to do the least amount of work for a win. That's all.

*sigh* G2 is stressful... I got to the final round with 24,000 CP and lost it all. boo.

and it's a shotokan sausage fest. my god. Ryu's everywhere.

I've been seeing nothing but Ryu's lately in the g2 CE catagory. Just have to get my timing down to hammer them.
The throwing is really annoying ! I'm old school...throwing pretty much had you "thrown" out of the arcade. Unfortunately that's how people play now and I have to erase that "no throw" mental block from my head.
Cross-ups mess me up,cause I honestly can't tell when it is a cross up. Character looks like it's going to hit infront,next thing I know...I'm getting hit on the back shoulder.

I won my first G2 championship the other day. Think I got 50k CP. It definitely made me proud, especially since I beat a cheap Ryu who had 9k GP.

I try to assume cross ups are coming when a character is pretty close to you and jumps forward or if you're on the ground and someone jumps toward you from a close distance. the cross up jump location varies for each character because of their jump angle and jump height.

Gen is a cross up monster and i can honestly say he's the cheapest character with cross up techniques... his jump angle and height is so different from every other character that it really throws you off, plus he has such good combos that can link into his super and ultra. I always fear fro my life when I get matched up with a Gen player (which, thank god, is extremely rare)

I'm considering going back to Ken, or rather adding him to my duet of 'Rog and Sagat as my 3rd fighter... initially considered Sakura but I'm not that great with her.. also thought about Gouken but he's a little bit tricky to master [up to the same level as my Sagat/'Rog]

Any thoughts on using Gouken? his ultra [3-hit shin-shoryuken] is monstrous!!! :horror:horror

I need to start adding practicing with more characters. I haven't been using anyone but Chun-Li in championship. I have a decent Guile, but he's not up to par yet to compete seriously, and I want to learn how to use Viper and possibly Rufus.

*sigh* I wish I were younger so I could have the patience to drill myself into learning how to use characters like I was previously able to do.

Any thoughts on using Gouken? his ultra [3-hit shin-shoryuken] is monstrous!!! :horror:horror

I haven't played against many Gouken's, but none of the one's I've gone against have been too hardcore. He does have some insane set ups if you can get them out, but IMO, he feels a little too sloppy, especially for a Shotokan-style character

Gouken is my main character. He has ALOT of punishing combos. The downside is you need to get your timing down to nail them. Practice makes perfect !

Help needed for Dan's combo.

I've seen videos of Dan being able to do this,

med punch, gadoken, dash, med punch, gadoken, med punch, gadoken.

They all link into a combo.

I've been using Dan for awhile( well he's the only one I used on Ranked) and never been able to do this. Anyone can enlighten me?

Back