Streetfighter IV

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Championship mode is kinda cool. Had time to do a few matches on the starting Grade and won all 3 of my matches to get to G3-D. :lol

Ok, how the hell do you block vega's wall dive slash attack? annoying as ^^^^!!

If you see it coming (not too difficult, the start up for that move isn't fast), jump backward while doing an aerial attack, preferably one that has a long horizontal reach. It stops the slash and snuffs the air grab.

If you see it coming (not too difficult, the start up for that move isn't fast), jump backward while doing an aerial attack, preferably one that has a long horizontal reach. It stops the slash and snuffs the air grab.

what if it's too late to jump back, how do you block that? i hold 'back' and the attack comes from directly above my head but i still get hit... do i need to block the other way?

what if it's too late to jump back, how do you block that? i hold 'back' and the attack comes from directly above my head but i still get hit... do i need to block the other way?

Yes, the attack may come from above your head, but it still hits from either side of your character, so you just have to figure out which side the Flying Barcelona Attack is going to hit and block accordingly, although it can be tricky if the move looks like it's going to hit directly above you.

There's also another problem. Vega can cancel the slash into a grab from the FBA attack.

I do think there's always time to react to the FBA attack because Vega has to jump onto the wall first. Worst case scenario, you read his move incorrectly and it turns out to be a super or ultra (lol that'd suck), but in any other case, a backward aerial attack would totally ruin Vega's FBA and that horizontal air slash he does (you'd be in the air, totally safe from it).

You play Cammy, right? Does your cannon spike have priority over Vega's flying barcelona?

Yes, the attack may come from above your head, but it still hits from either side of your character, so you just have to figure out which side the Flying Barcelona Attack is going to hit and block accordingly, although it can be tricky if the move looks like it's going to hit directly above you.

There's also another problem. Vega can cancel the slash into a grab from the FBA attack.

I do think there's always time to react to the FBA attack because Vega has to jump onto the wall first. Worst case scenario, you read his move incorrectly and it turns out to be a super or ultra (lol that'd suck), but in any other case, a backward aerial attack would totally ruin Vega's FBA and that horizontal air slash he does (you'd be in the air, totally safe from it).

You play Cammy, right? Does your cannon spike have priority over Vega's flying barcelona?

I havent played very many good vega players until today I encountered a few on championship mode.

Cammy's CS cant really hit vegas barcelona because the trajectory travels outward...at most it's and escape move.

Ive been using ryu more now than cammy just to have an all around strong character though.

I can't tell you how to defend against the FBA, since I usually don't have to, and if I do I can just back flip out of it, but I can tell you how it works, and maybe that can help you a bit.

The initial wall jump has two follow ups: The FBA (slash) or the Izuna Drop (grab). I think the main thing that makes FBA hard to defend against is the fact that it can be controlled in the air. It can be used to hit from the front or crossed up, and it's hard to tell which way to defend, especially if the attack is coming down right above you, and the Claw player is playing a good mix-up game. I personally will fall straight down and wiggle left and right a bit. This keeps the defender confused, so even if they sense and start defending for a cross up I can always cross back.

The Izuna Drop is also effective, because it can not only mix-up the defender on the ground, but if an opponent used an anti-air move, say a shoryuken, and fails to connect it can be punished by an air Izuna.

I'm not certain which moves work, but I know an FBA can certainly be countered. I'm pretty sure a well timed shoryuken or flash kick can punish it. I haven't played in a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty sure I had a few good players counter it with certain AA moves. I know for a fact that Zangief's lariat will punish unless the drop or FBA is timed and aimed perfectly.

Jumping to get away doesn't sound like a safe strategy to me, since there's no air blocking which leaves you open to the slash or the grab. Maybe Gouki or others with air fireballs could punish if timed well. Obviously Gouki, Dictator or Dhalsim could just teleport out, and Claw can back flip. I think your best bet with a character with decent AA is to figure out which moves can punish, and learning how to read your opponent and time your counters. Otherwise, if Claw isn't mixing it up with Izunas you could try a quick back dash when he's descending and continue holding back. That may keep him from crossing you up.
________
Guaranteed asset protection insurance forum

Last edited:
Jumping to get away doesn't sound like a safe strategy to me, since there's no air blocking which leaves you open to the slash or the grab. Maybe Gouki or others with air fireballs could punish if timed well. Obviously Gouki, Dictator or Dhalsim could just teleport out, and Claw can back flip. I think your best bet with a character with decent AA is to figure out which moves can punish, and learning how to read your opponent and time your counters. Otherwise, if Claw isn't mixing it up with Izunas you could try a quick back dash when he's descending and continue holding back. That may keep him from crossing you up.

Jumping backwards against an FBA is not recommended, but I'm suggesting doing a backward jumping attack.

Nash plays Ryu, who doesn't have fancy teleports or more elaborate anti airs and his shoryu, like you said, has a high risk factor against Izuna drop if poorly timed. I think his best option is a backward jumping HK. Not only does it stuff the FBA slash, but the izuna drop cannot connect with the hitbox for that jumping HK if you react quickly. It should make vega think twice about throwing out those fba's with abandon.

Of course, I'm not saying it is a faultless defense, but give it a shot in training mode against a Vega with a FBA/Izuna recording and see how it works out for you.

Vega is supposedly low tier, but I'm always nervous playing against a good Claw player. Tricky.

yeah... tricky and annoying. With Chun-li, I usually jump in and try to toss him in the air before he hits me with the FBA. It works a lot of the time since Vega players usually expect you to block the attack, so they try to go for the cross-up. That might work with Cammy's air throw too.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://photozbucket.com/pages/3346/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://photozbucket.com/pages/3346/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>Vega is supposedly low tier, but I'm always nervous playing against a good Claw player. Tricky.

I've played with Vega a couple of weeks ago on my friend's PS3 and he just owns me with Ryu or Akuma. Vega doesn't have much to show for, but it's cool.

Vega is supposedly low tier, but I'm always nervous playing against a good Claw player. Tricky.

Sagat's FW+HK, if timed properly, is a good anti-air against vega... ditto the medium tiger-knee but the timing is even stricter. Tiger Upper-cut is a no-no against the wall leap imo. I agree that Vega players can be quite tricky when they mix up... but with Sagat I usually try to end the fights as quickly as I can as I think playing a ranged game against Vega, especially if you are right in the middle of the screen, is a grave mistake.

Nash I'm surprised Cammy's cannon-spike doesn't knock him out once he's bounced on the wall and is coming in for the hit/grab? That move is lightning quick...

Just won my first tournie! The final was against El Fuerte and he kept doing that really annoing repeatitive body slam move, but in the heat of battle I discovered the easiest counter ever, and by the time he got the memo it was too late... there was no escape! :naughty:naughty

I'm really pleased. 'Rog is my secondary character after Sagat but after this I need to go do some intense training with him :chew:chew

How's everyone else faring on Championship Mode? I love the fact that you no longer see what character your opponent's picking. It's still a shame that 95% of my fights were against Ken. Not trying to sound like a crybaby but I'd love to see more character diversity online.

How's everyone else faring on Championship Mode? I love the fact that you no longer see what character your opponent's picking. It's still a shame that 95% of my fights were against Ken. Not trying to sound like a crybaby but I'd love to see more character diversity online.

I haven't had a chance to try it out because I don't think I can dedicate the time to it right now... Sad to hear that it's a shotokan-fest tho =(

But I DO like the little changes made to online verses modes... the disconnect percentages and the ALERT RING that indicates that someone joined your match (I tend to start surfing online when I have to wait to be matched up with someone, and I like not looking back to the TV every 10 seconds)

What we need now is an updated Chun-li character select image where she doesn't have that retarded thumb. :rotfl

Just won my first tournie! The final was against El Fuerte and he kept doing that really annoing repeatitive body slam move, but in the heat of battle I discovered the easiest counter ever, and by the time he got the memo it was too late... there was no escape! :naughty:naughty

I'm really pleased. 'Rog is my secondary character after Sagat but after this I need to go do some intense training with him :chew:chew

nice keep it up. Ive got 950gp so far, and won 10 tourneys in G3. been playing it for about a few hours, i like it better than regular online play.

I don't know if it's only in championship mode, but ive now played against a bunch of people who had all green bars. it's awesome.

nice keep it up. Ive got 950gp so far, and won 10 tourneys in G3. been playing it for about a few hours, i like it better than regular online play.

I don't know if it's only in championship mode, but ive now played against a bunch of people who had all green bars. it's awesome.

Crickey! 10 tournies under your belt!? this is my first evening... but that's very impressive from you. Well done mate!

Championship mode is far, far more fun... it'll be a real chore going back to standard ranked matches.

Have you got any tips for fighting against El Fuerte? Down and HP counters that smash move ('rog) but it'll be nice to know how everyone else trounces the pesky bugger. He never sits still for a second!!! :monkey3

I haven't had a chance to try it out because I don't think I can dedicate the time to it right now... Sad to hear that it's a shotokan-fest tho =(

But I DO like the little changes made to online verses modes... the disconnect percentages and the ALERT RING that indicates that someone joined your match (I tend to start surfing online when I have to wait to be matched up with someone, and I like not looking back to the TV every 10 seconds)

What we need now is an updated Chun-li character select image where she doesn't have that retarded thumb. :rotfl

:lol:lol:lol:lol

I got the Femme fatale pack but for some reason my Sakura doesn't have the cool shorts and tee-shirt costume :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

You should try championship mode mate... you'll love it! Just be ready to face a shoto character every other game :banghead:banghead

Back