Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it’s Got and the reason that happened is cause that guy is supposed to be some super strong zombie

The Walking Throne

Correct...Jye! You gotta watch GOT!!

That is alot of episodes to watch lol

TLJ Sucked.

:lol

Despite the CGI faux pas, GoT is really quite good. I never watched it for years but finally recorded all the seasons and binged on it with the wife over the last month of two. We're just finishing up Season 6. It's great. These guys know how to create some really great villains. And there's lots of naughty sex and gruesome deaths to keep things salacious but also really good storytelling. It borrows heavily from LOTR but also a ton of other movies.

You should binge it with your wife. She'll love it. I think you will too.

Hmmm you and Adolfo I might have to bite the bullet and start on it.

Did you just "Cairo Swordsman" my post? :lol

;)

Oh man perfect lol

I guess I'm just glad I don't need every single detail spelled out for me on screen like I am a kid. the only thing in TLJ that was bad was space Leia... that was beyond stupid and I have no way to explain what the hell that was. Everything else I have my ideas of why they happened and that's good enough for me and it allowed me to enjoy the movie. I'll let you all continue the bashing and bitching and complaining.

:lol :lol

Without explanation? I just explained it. He was never powerful with the force… it was never a true part of him. He decided he wanted to be a Jedi because his dad was and then wanted to turn him. He was never fully committed. Heck, he ditched his training early to go help Han & Leia even after being told not to by the #1 Jedi of all time. Once his dad was turned he had no use for the force anymore… there was nothing else for him to do. He decided that he would teach and because he wasn’t a Master Jedi he screwed up and Ben got out of control and Luke knew he couldn’t handle him (I’ve only seen that much power once before) and with all the pressure of his past and the possibility of HIM being the one to unleash the next Vader he went NUTS, tried to kill Ben and ran away alone to some rock in the middle of nowhere. His “arc” is whiny brat, to cocky son trying to help his dad, to famous person with no direction, to teacher, to overpowered teacher, to nut, to possible martyr or savior or whatever you want to call him as he dies. Yes, it might have been nice to see some of that on screen but that’s not what we got so I filled in my theory and it works for me. Your mileage may vary.

tumblr_p1bekkn7OY1vuzrxeo1_400.gif

Esp not this one
6f27a9ef22769178c6650cd1d427b272.jpg

As far as him not being powerful with the force.. well tell that to him
72.gif

Last edited:
You went to see JL a 2nd time for the same reason you liked TLJ... :lol A glutton for punishment? As for whether someone should be held accountable for persuading others to do things, I don't believe in "accountability", so much as "cause". There is no justice. When ideologues convince gullible people to do stupid things, do they "cause" the idiotic behavior? Partly. It's a relationship between the ideologue and those who subscribe to it.

However, while I disagree with feminists, I'm fond of freedom of speech specifically because you need to consider any idea in order to falsify it, and your own understanding of the world. If you care about thinking and knowledge, you should care about freedom of expression. So, while I dislike dumb ideas and the ideologues who spout them, I'd never punish an ideologue for convincing gullible people to do dumb things. It's the stupidity that we need to worry about.

When people say, "Why do you care that Star Wars was propaganda? So what if it's spreading an authoritarian philosophy?" that is the naive attitude of someone who's never experienced or witnessed systemic brutality. If everyone had that attitude, you would have no freedom. Then you'd care.

#SpazzForForumPresident

Holy crap, Spazz obliterating the putrid remains of this embarrassing attempt of a movie as if it still needed any obliteration.

I may vote for Spazz myself.

Spazz is just a slave to ideology. Seeing radical feminism in TLJ is merely giving voice to radical feminists, giving power to a film by inventing a sub-text it does not itself express.

This is a prime case of 'power' being defined by the opposition to it. It's not a thing, unless you make it a thing.

I've seen it 4 times now.Last time today.
It is slowing down to 3 sessions a day here in Australia...Should be gone in 2 weeks.
Other than the Hux and Poe humour,and the addition of Holdo,i really like this movie.
That is all.��

It will be translated so that probably makes perfect sense

Han alone man: the life and times of the space cowboy

Still no word from Kathleen Kennedy nor a Solo trailer. I really hope Disney is truly hearing the fans of this franchise. I heard the trailer would drop during the super bowl, but the issues with TLJ, I hope it is not being ignored. Im annoyed that fans that like the movie are trying to dissolve the valid arguments of fans who didn’t like the movie by basically saying things such as anti-feminists, “something different”, “expectations,” and in my opinion it was basically more on the side of making a good movie. I’ve never seen any movie where a director has to tell why he did or describe what happened. Isn’t that proof of bad story telling? I think they’re fundament issues with the actors as well. Watching trailers and interviews leading to the release of TLJ; Daisey Ridley doesn’t know what a Mary Sue is, she says that it’s sexist ploy due to the name, she doesn’t know the actual portrayal of that term. The actor who plays Hux, doesn’t know his first name, really??? Daisey Ridley believes that “everyone” has the force, that it’s nothing special, and that Rian Johnson began writing the script based off the TFA script during production of TFA, they are many other issues that I’ve found and I encourage those who like or hated TLJ to watch Dishonored Wolf and Mauler YouTube channels, just awesome detailed critiques of the film. I like I said before, felt that TLJ was a missed opportunity to say the least, there is no new “path”. This episode was a filler episode, literally went around in circles and added unnecessary things to the franchise. I have yet to see anyone provide a detailed explanation on why TLJ is a good movie, besides stating “don’t have high expectations” or “don’t take Star Wars isn’t serious”, like wtf this franchise survived for decades and has one the strongest fans but don’t take it seriously is an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still no word from Kathleen Kennedy nor a Solo trailer. I really hope Disney is truly hearing the fans of this franchise. I heard the trailer would drop during the super bowl, but the issues with TLJ, I hope it is not being ignored. Im annoyed that fans that like the movie are trying to dissolve the valid arguments of fans who didn’t like the movie by basically saying things such as anti-feminists, “something different”, “expectations,” and in my opinion it was basically more on the side of making a good movie. I’ve never seen any movie where a director has to tell why he did or describe what happened. Isn’t that proof of bad story telling? I think they’re fundament issues with the actors as well. Watching trailers and interviews leading to the release of TLJ; Daisey Ridley doesn’t know what a Mary Sue is, she says that it’s sexist ploy due to the name, she doesn’t know the actual portrayal of that term. The actor who plays Hux, doesn’t know his first name, really??? Daisey Ridley believes that “everyone” has the force, that it’s nothing special, and that Rian Johnson began writing the script based off the TFA script during production of TFA, they are many other issues that I’ve found and I encourage those who like or hated TLJ to watch Dishonored Wolf and Mauler YouTube channels, just awesome detailed critiques of the film. I like I said before, felt that TLJ was a missed opportunity to say the least, there is no new “path”. This episode was a filler episode, literally went around in circles and added unnecessary things to the franchise. I have yet to see anyone provide a detailed explanation on why TLJ is a good movie, besides stating “don’t have high expectations” or “don’t take Star Wars isn’t serious”, like wtf this franchise survived for decades and has one the strongest fans but don’t take it seriously is an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy stranger!

Spazz is just a slave to ideology. Seeing radical feminism in TLJ is merely giving voice to radical feminists, giving power to a film by inventing a sub-text it does not itself express.

This is a prime case of 'power' being defined by the opposition to it. It's not a thing, unless you make it a thing.
Power is the ability to make someone behave in a way they wouldn't, given their own subjective desires. You can persuade people to do things they don't want to do (soft power) or coerce them (hard power). Both are quite real, and you're subjected to them on a daily basis.

As for whether or not I'm projecting ideology onto the text, Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson have not been subtle, both in their promotion of the film and within the film itself. Worse, Kathleen Kennedy recently interviewed the director of The Handmade's Tale, about Margret Atwood's boring feminist screed. The feminism within the Star Wars franchise is only going to get worse.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2299562/could-the-handmaids-tales-director-be-helming-a-star-wars-movie

Power is the ability to make someone behave in a way they wouldn't, given their own subjective desires. You can persuade people to do things they don't want to do (soft power) or coerce them (hard power). Both are quite real, and you're subjected to them on a daily basis.

As for whether or not I'm projecting ideology onto the text, Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson have not been subtle, both in their promotion of the film and within the film itself. Worse, Kathleen Kennedy recently interviewed the director of The Handmade's Tale, about Margret Atwood's boring feminist screed. The feminism within the Star Wars franchise is only going to get worse.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2299562/could-the-handmaids-tales-director-be-helming-a-star-wars-movie

It could get better quick. The Invisible Hand already bitchslapped ESPN, they cannot keep this up forever being a publicly traded company.

It could get better quick. The Invisible Hand already bitchslapped ESPN, they cannot keep this up forever being a publicly traded company.

That would be my guess, as well. I would be surprised if Episode 9 and the Johnson trilogy :)lol) performed well at the box office. However, I think the franchise is going to get much worse, before it gets better. I've seen this sort of ideological kowtowing within post secondary education. Ambitious people suspend disbelief and cater to the normative values of an authority figure, not because they feel passionate about the beliefs themselves, so much as to appease a gatekeeper.

Okay here we go. :D

See whenever I see people say "TLJ crapped on SW" or "crapped on the lore" all I hear is "TLJ crapped on Endor dance parties, teddy bears, and my favorite heroes who were supposed to live happily ever after." A lot of you *claim* that ESB is your favorite SW movie but it's clear that that isn't what you ever want out of SW again. What you really want is just more ROTJ. And by "you" I may mean you personally Bravomite or I may not. You judge. ;) But it definitely applies to a *lot* of TLJ naysayers.

What crazy rule exists that says that when a hero stops himself mid-murderous rampage and then tosses away his lightsaber that suddenly he's this perfected being of light that is immune to any further temptation, inadequacy, failure, depression, etc.? That's some goofy arbitrary limitation that apparently *only* applies to Star Wars. When Professor X slaughters his entire school of students? Oh that's transcendent art. A real evolution of the genre. But if Luke Skywalker even *thinks* about killing *one* student who is on a path of galaxy wide destruction? Well crap that just breaks the Saga. Funny I don't recall any notmyprofessor hashtags or Jake Xavier memes when Logan was in theaters.

TLJ has simply exposed the level of BS inherent in so many who claim that they hate the fact that Disney is making these movies when the fact of the matter is that most naysayers apparently want SW to be nothing but the MOST Disney-fied of all fairy tales. Remember Beauty and the Beast when he came back to life, kissed Belle, all the spells wore off and the castle was all shining as people lived "happily ever after" in cartoon heaven-on-earth fantasy? Yeah that's clearly what a number of people want out of SW. Oh they'll claim that they don't want things to be stagnant but that isn't really the case. They'll claim that they want to see development and/or conflict but at the *most* all they want is the pseudo-challenges experienced by your average MCU hero.

Like Tony Stark in Iron Man 2. Where Disney tried to adapt "Demon in a Bottle," one of the most celebrated of IM tales...but without actually making Tony an alcoholic. Can't do anything that would make him a "loser." So he has this honorable affliction where the suit is merely infecting his blood or skin which then gives him the *appearance* of having the flaw of alcoholism...but not the flaw itself. Oh he had a little too much to drink at *one* party. Whoopety do.

And here's the thing (and I'm so not directing any of this directly at you Bravomite) if certain people want that out of SW that's fine. Clearly we got an entire film where everybody was a shining star of morality and pro-active righteousness (even the previously gray scoundrels like Han and Lando) in Return of the Jedi. And that's fine if that's singular format that you want all SW films to take with respect to story and characters from here on out. I'm sure Disney will make plenty of those types of movies for you eventually and you can embrace them while those of us who like our stories with flawed and relatable heroes can embrace films like RO and TLJ.

"Wait Khev we actually liked RO it's just TLJ that sucked." Eh, now I believe that the only reason most TLJ naysayers liked RO is because they didn't have any preconceived notions about how Jyn and Cassian and everyone should be. If Jyn appeared in a previous film where she did something heroic at the end then she'd need to be perfect from that moment on and the second she hit a rebel in the face with a shovel everyone would have immediately disowned her. Because that's just how irrational and flaky a good portion of the fanbase is when it comes to these films.

There have been countless tales about heroes or main characters who ascend to the top of their field only to come crashing all the way back down in order to set the stage for an epic comeback. "Why didn't Rocky throw the towel sooner??? He forsook Apollo!! He literally got him killed! #notmybalboa" " Why the **** is Aragorn off sitting in a bar while the world goes to pot? 'Strider?' What's that bull****? Osgiliath and countless strongholds are falling while he mopes around by himself instead of marching into the halls of Gondor and claiming his crown!!" When you apply the complaints against Luke to any other hero in any other genre the absurdity just gets all the more exposed. "Aragorn spilled Eowen's nasty soup on his beard! I'm gonna go make memes!" smh

The truth is Rian Johnson actually dared to treat Luke Skywalker like a genuine character again. He isn't some force of nature in the background, he isn't a cartoonized embodiment of wish fulfillment fantasy (that people ironically scream bloody murder about when manifested in other characters like Rey,) he's a character with an actual arc who starts out lower than he's ever been before ultimately ascending higher than he's ever been. And that's simply good story-telling. I get it if people just want to escape and have AT-AT's and Sith Lords be stand-ins for whatever troubles you're facing in life. And that the extent of SW being an inspiring tale goes no further than watching things blow up so that you can either enjoy the pretty explosions or at most tackle your problems at home "just like Luke attacked that AT-AT." But what if Luke *himself* actually had to tackle your *real* problems at home? I'm not talking lightsabers and murder but simply the act of making a critical error that permanently estranges a close family member. Or handling hopelessness or depression. Those things just bring this epic space fantasy all the more down to real, honest, much more emotionally tangible themes.

I've literally read about amputee military veterans coping with losing a limb because there's a certain "coolness" to having a prosthetic hand or something because it's so ingrained in our consciousness after it happened to Luke Skywalker. Now Luke has gone several steps further by becoming an "emotional amputee" of sorts. And like his reaction to losing a hand where at first he gave up, he ultimately pulled himself up by his bootstraps and faced life head on until the very end. None of that is negated by how he faltered along the way, however ugly (though lovably so) it might have been during that process. In fact in the end it's all enhanced by his shortcomings and failings. He got to prove once and for all that his victory in ROTJ wasn't a fluke. That no matter what gets thrown at him, no matter who fails him and no matter who comes at him, whether it be friends, family, or even *himself,* that he's never ever fully down for the count and in the end will always be the hero that we can respect and admire.

Impressive, everything you said is wrong. It also seems you’ve mastered the ability of Force(d) Projection, as that’s what 90% of that tirade is. Titty Master Luke would be proud :lol

You went to see JL a 2nd time for the same reason you liked TLJ... :lol A glutton for punishment? As for whether someone should be held accountable for persuading others to do things, I don't believe in "accountability", so much as "cause". There is no justice. When ideologues convince gullible people to do stupid things, do they "cause" the idiotic behavior? Partly. It's a relationship between the ideologue and those who subscribe to it.

However, while I disagree with feminists, I'm fond of freedom of speech specifically because you need to consider any idea in order to falsify it, and your own understanding of the world. If you care about thinking and knowledge, you should care about freedom of expression. So, while I dislike dumb ideas and the ideologues who spout them, I'd never punish an ideologue for convincing gullible people to do dumb things. It's the stupidity that we need to worry about.

When people say, "Why do you care that Star Wars was propaganda? So what if it's spreading an authoritarian philosophy?" that is the naive attitude of someone who's never experienced or witnessed systemic brutality. If everyone had that attitude, you would have no freedom. Then you'd care.

:lol :goodpost:

I’ve never seen any movie where a director has to tell why he did or describe what happened.

Johnson hasn't needed to explain anything. My elementary school aged children easily followed and understood what happened on screen. Johnson has merely been catering to those adult members of the audience with special needs which shows an admirable level of kindness on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back