Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

What a beta move.

Remember your 5 D’s

deflect deny deligate deceive difabio :lol

RO "should" have made more like $300m domestic and $700m worldwide based on what it was. The better outcome is all down to Gareth (and his status as a fan who gets it.) When he spoke about SW done cinema verite war-movie style back in 2010, who would have thought he could nail it?:horror

The issue with TLJ's performance is that even though it is majorly profitable in a "normal blockbuster" sense (it's about what an average Pirates movies did,) it still left something approaching a half billion on the table at a time when Disney is majorly needing cash due to the whole impending Netlfix war (stock price under pressure.)

You have to remember that half a billion is (or exceeds) what "Oz the Great and Powerful" and "Tron Legacy" - huge movies Disney spent lavishly on - earned worldwide. Half a billion is a huge amount for Disney right now.

More importantly is that TLJ does appear to have left a bad taste in a sizable minority of fans' mouths at a time just when franchise fatigue is settling in - and with Solo just months away. They have to be worried about the TLJ multiplier, and that collapse in China is a weird and unsettling thing.

Agreed on Gareth nailing RO with that near pitch perfect msrriage of classic war film tropes with a genuine OT aesthetic. I was picturing similar numbers (300 domestic, 600-700 worldwide) and figure Solo will probably do just that (which might barely allow them to break even if the reports of the massively ballooning budget are true.)

Wow I wasn’t aware that Jumanji surpassed JL at the WW box office ouch :lol

That sentence made me do a double take, I thought Jumanji surpasses Justice League at Wonder Woman's box office? What the hell does that mean, lol.

In other news I caught TLJ for the third and probably final time theatrically earlier today. Massive screen with Dolby Vision and Atmos. Damn. :drool

There were two brand new things that I didn't pick up on before. The first was Leia mentioning that they needed to head to a planet that could broadcast a signal to Resistance sympathizers *before* Snoke's fleet came out of hyperspace. So that revealed that they were on their way to Crait from the get go. That's good because I had actually written off their proximity to Crait just when they needed refuge from the FO as a pretty eye-rolling convenience. So I was glad to learn that it had a more organic flow after all.

Also I had totally missed that when Kylo and Rey first "Force-linked" that he said, "how are you doing this...wait this can't be you because the effort alone would kill you." Thus establishing that heavy use of the Force across the galaxy could be lethal which we then later saw when Luke died after his lengthy Force projection. It also begs the question as to whether Snoke's head wounds are self inflicted on account of all the things he does with the Force across space like seducing Ben and linking Kylo to Rey. I find that idea kind of cool.

That sentence made me do a double take, I thought Jumanji surpasses Justice League at Wonder Woman's box office? What the hell does that mean, lol.

In other news I caught TLJ for the third and probably final time theatrically earlier today. Massive screen with Dolby Vision and Atmos. Damn. :drool

There were two brand new things that I didn't pick up on before. The first was Leia mentioning that they needed to head to a planet that could broadcast a signal to Resistance sympathizers *before* Snoke's fleet came out of hyperspace. So that revealed that they were on their way to Crait from the get go. That's good because I had actually written off their proximity to Crait just when they needed refuge from the FO as a pretty eye-rolling convenience. So I was glad to learn that it had a more organic flow after all.

Also I had totally missed that when Kylo and Rey first "Force-linked" that he said, "how are you doing this...wait this can't be you because the effort alone would kill you." Thus establishing that heavy use of the Force across the galaxy could be lethal which we then later saw when Luke died after his lengthy Force projection. It also begs the question as to whether Snoke's head wounds are self inflicted on account of all the things he does with the Force across space like seducing Ben and linking Kylo to Rey which is kind of cool to wonder about.

Crap you’re going to make me want to go watch it again.

I’m still undecided if TLJ elevates TFA or not.

Crap you’re going to make me want to go watch it again.

I’m still undecided if TLJ elevates TFA or not.

John Williams has so many epic moments in this film. That "dun dun dun DUN nun nun NUN nun nun" as the Resistance soldiers are all rising to watch Luke walk by at the end is off the charts. I can't believe we now have four SW films that all have awesome Luke Skywalker arcs.

I know. I didn't bother to read them.

Oh. Duly noted then.:lecture

One of those "you all know the board rules, or at least you should" things in action. You know; forum member who actually took the time to read the rules and understand, then contacts mod with issue. Twice.

A feel-good, "the system works" kinda moment.

Agreed on Gareth nailing RO with that near pitch perfect msrriage of classic war film tropes with a genuine OT aesthetic. I was picturing similar numbers (300 domestic, 600-700 worldwide) and figure Solo will probably do just that (which might barely allow them to break even if the reports of the massively ballooning budget are true.)

I have problems with things in RO, but overall he did a great job as director. A great guy too, so full of genuine passion for SW. Little did I know I'd be watching his crazy SW thoughts onscreen 6 years later.:horror

I really don't see how SOLO can bomb though (300-350/700-800 seems about right.) It will still have all the OT visuals in play. And breaking even will be a whole lot easier for Disney with that 65% gouge though.

It's funny - I've read so many news stories in the past month about Han being the "mentor" character in TFA. He was definitely old (and mellowed vs OT) but he didn't seem like much of a mentor in the definition sense. Watching him fall down that chasm I guess gave him a mentor's death - I suppose. But I guess Luke wasn't much of one either, but that was intentional.

The best way I could describe the music in that scene for people who remember the tune.

I got it. "Spoonful of Sugar"?

All I need to know is was the theater packed, did people cheer at the end, and did they say how much they loved it as they walked out?

:monkey3:lol

This is the one time I agree with you lol

That was the only part in the movie I liked, and ditto on the music at that point. Of course if you do mean the same music I mean, it was very distinct from the rest of the score.

Your sig is like... WHOA.:lol

That "dun dun dun DUN nun nun NUN nun nun" as the Resistance soldiers are all rising to watch Luke walk by at the end is off the charts.

This is the one time I agree with you lol

That was the only part in the movie I liked, and ditto on the music at that point. Of course if you do mean the same music I mean, it was very distinct from the rest of the score.

Your sig is like... WHOA.:lol

:lol Fight the power!

Also I had totally missed that when Kylo and Rey first "Force-linked" that he said, "how are you doing this...wait this can't be you because the effort alone would kill you." Thus establishing that heavy use of the Force across the galaxy could be lethal which we then later saw when Luke died after his lengthy Force projection. It also begs the question as to whether Snoke's head wounds are self inflicted on account of all the things he does with the Force across space like seducing Ben and linking Kylo to Rey. I find that idea kind of cool.

Wow, great catch! I hadn't noticed that at all! I only saw it once, but have been itching to see it again. It was definitely my favorite Star Wars thus far!!

It's funny - I've read so many news stories in the past month about Han being the "mentor" character in TFA. He was definitely old (and mellowed vs OT) but he didn't seem like much of a mentor in the definition sense. Watching him fall down that chasm I guess gave him a mentor's death - I suppose. But I guess Luke wasn't much of one either, but that was intentional.

Han was definitely in the mentor shoes in TFA: he gave Rey a special weapon (pistol instead of lightsaber), he gave Rey some insightful wisdom, he set Rey on her true journey, and, as you said, he died. There's all kinds of different mentors, even Dark Mentors -- I do believe JJ shoehorned Han into the traditional "mentor" role as best he could for the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back