Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know how you guys are taking the bait that all of this direction is coming from Rian??

It’s obviously coming from Disney. But they want the director to hold the blame if something goes wrong.

They are trying to go the same route as Marvel with SW. Slap stick comedy ridiculousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk. I blame everyone. Johnson for writing this crap. Kennedy for approving the script. Even Abrams for not wanting to direct hence why Johnson was hired.

Now I understand why Abrams completely threw out Trevorrow's draft of IX. It was probably a direct continuation of Johnson's cluster**** and impossible to work with.

I wouldn't be surprised if IX takes place a decade later with Leia now dead from old age. Distancing it as much as possible time-wise might be the only way to make IX watchable.

I still don't give a **** though. I love Adam Driver and will watch him in anything but he's just not cut out to be a Palpatine. A grand overlord.

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD

I love the alternate universe in this forum where people are in complete denial that this movie is a bona fide hit. Everyone out in the real world seems to be raving about it. Also, I'm totally happy with all my pre-orders.

Read some of the viewers reviews (not the critics) on RT (down under 60% now)...
You'll see the critics here are not an alternate universe.

I don't either. The Jedi make mistakes and they fail. Obi-Wan bullies the council into training Anakin in the first place. Jedi get killed. If the Jedi were perfect, being seduced to the Dark Side wouldn't even be an issue.

Also I appreciated the way Luke was depicted. Not the wise old man. He's feisty and tough and earthy. Lots of anger and grief. Jeez - he's been living isolated on an island for years.

It was something unexpected and different. And I thought Luke's last scenes were magnificently shot. The character got major respect in the film at the end IMO. My theater burst into applause near the end.

So I'm kinda startled by the rage I'm reading on IMDB. IMO this film - for me - had some annoying gaps/mistakes in the story. But to be fair, when I think about it, a lot of my most favorite films have stuff you just hafta overlook. IMO Last Jedi could have done better on that score, but it is what it is.

Far as I can tell reading negative/outraged comments on IMDB, Luke was supposed to be depicted in a certain way and he wasn't. As well as some other stuff like Snoke etc. There's a fair amount that I'd question like Phasma. But IMO there is so much good stuff in this film too. I'd agree with comments that there were complaints about TFA being too much of a repeat. Then there's something that's "different" and it's inexcusable? Personally I hope Rey's background keeps her as a "nobody" with no special parentage at all. Why does she have to have special parents? IMO it's a lot more interesting to think the Force kind of "chose" this "nobody" to eventually become something special.

Plus, the movie also makes the point of Finn's janitor experience really being useful. IMO not a bad message, that nobodies can rise. Like Rogue One. I'll be glad to see this again now that the "newness" is over. See if my opinions change. (Also I keep thinking the fan-fic writers are going to be passing out with happiness over this one:cool:)

I agree with you. I am amused by all the negative over reaction. What did people expect from Luke's character after he disappeared for years and lived alone on an island. He was always over emotional so the way he reacted to young Ben Solo is logical and him removing himself and becoming grumpy old man makes sense. The series has always been about Hope and he lost his. But R2 triggered his emotion and his ending brought him back to redemption. Totally in line with the OT storytelling. I am also amused at people saying Rey learning to be a Jedi in 17 hours forget that Luke learned to be a Jedi in 17 hours.

One more thing that bugged me. The only original trilogy character left for Episode IX is the only actor that can't be in the film... They could've had Leia somehow sacrifice to save Luke for IX. I am really hoping we don't get heavy CGI Leia. Although maybe I'd finally get a damned Old Leia to round out my ST original heroes collection...

Don't worry. Lando and Wicket are left to save the day.

24hrs and still can't get over space flying Leia or Luke's death.

Honestly what do you guys think this means for toys and Hot Toys specifically?

Like we have the Luke, Rey, Kylo, Executioner (seriously who will buy that for one scene they did nothing in), and the Guards.

Finn is in essentially the same costume in this movie; they could give us Poe. But that's like it. I don't see anyone really wanting a Snoke after this, but it's possible. General Hux? Rose has no chance. They got the only interesting new droid already in the movie coming out too.

They totally BLEW their wad on TFA and totally oversaturated the market. I totally feel bad for anyone who spent $250 on a Captain Phasma for all she did in 2 movies. It was seriously a 'hey lets get a chrome stormtrooper, that will be cool!' idea. And then literally did nothing with her; they should have combined her and General Hux's character. And they literally threw every trooper they could aside from a Scout Trooper in TFA.

I think you cannot group everyone into one group. First, not everyone hated this movie. Second, there are people that buy figures based on whether they like the movie/characters, and people that buy figures because they like how the actual figure look and don't care if the character it portrayed was important or not. I got the executioner and I like it. I really don't give a crap if he was in the movie for only 1 second.

SNIKT deserves the hazing he is getting since he has been talking like he actually knows wth is going on bts when he is just another fanboy who wishes so hard that his fan fiction comes true.

That said, one can really see the ugly side of SW fandom over here now.

I remember how two years ago when everyone was theorizing if Rey was a Skywalker or a Kenobi, people were like that is so unoriginal as that would be too obvious and the galaxy is a lot more bigger than that.

Now that it was revealed that Rey is a nobody and just a force sensitive individual (which was already established in the PT that they are many Force sensitive children and beings out there) everyone loses their mind when it was probably the boldest move there is. A zero to a hero. That is the quintessential path of the Hero's journey.

I like how Luke deconstruct the most hated aspect of the PT (midi-chlorian) and essentially brought back the OT explanation of the Force where it is everywhere and binds us and that everyone has the potential to harness it. Heck that was infact Lucas original explanation of the Force before he did that PT crap on midi-chlorian). I really don't know how that flew over the head of OT fans. I actually thought everyone will be happy that they reestablished that for the canon.

I remember when AOTC came out people were crying about how someone like Yoda shouldn't need to use his lightsaber and jumping around like a monkey and he should have showed his mastery in the Force for his encounter with Dooku. Rian now gave us that and now you guys wants Luke to jump around like a monkey with a lightsaber.

I also remember how months ago people here were talking about how they don't really wanna see Luke jumping around or spinning around like Yoda slaying everything in his path cause he will look like an ass due to his age. And in this movie they gave us a look into a higher form of Jedi battle which is perfect for Luke and people are now crying that Luke did not jump around slaying the FO

I just watched it a third time today and I really love it. The cinema I was in was packed with fans and everyone had a really great time especially Luke battle with Kylo. No one felt it was a cop out or cheesy. People actually felt he was able to show how much more powerful he is compared to Kylo and also shows his mastery of the Force to the point that he doesn't need to meet you hand to hand. Meeting Kylo heads on is just bowing down to Kylo's level.

Luke outsmart and outplayed Kylo like how Obi Wan and Yoda would have.

Rian also takes a lot of inspiration from the EU which is also something I thought more people would like but it is becoming more and more clear that people really just want ANH 2.0 ESB 2.0 and ROTJ 2.0. Then people really should have whined less about TFA being ANH 2.0.

But really, make up your ****ing mind SW fans.

Great post. One I am finding amusing is that Luke didn't do anything in this movie but they love Obi Wan from A New Hope because they romanticize that movie. If they view A New Hope from the perspective of happening after I-III you see that Obi Wan is back and he was an amazing Jedi and wow he didn't really do anything in A New Hope compared to his life. Obi Wan in ANH and Luke here a freaking old men and are different people than their youth. I grew up on the OT seeing it in theaters and this movie is in the spirit of the OT.

Honestly what do you guys think this means for toys and Hot Toys specifically?

Like we have the Luke, Rey, Kylo, Executioner (seriously who will buy that for one scene they did nothing in), and the Guards.

Finn is in essentially the same costume in this movie; they could give us Poe. But that's like it. I don't see anyone really wanting a Snoke after this, but it's possible. General Hux? Rose has no chance. They got the only interesting new droid already in the movie coming out too.

They totally BLEW their wad on TFA and totally oversaturated the market. I totally feel bad for anyone who spent $250 on a Captain Phasma for all she did in 2 movies. It was seriously a 'hey lets get a chrome stormtrooper, that will be cool!' idea. And then literally did nothing with her; they should have combined her and General Hux's character. And they literally threw every trooper they could aside from a Scout Trooper in TFA.

I'll get a v1 Phasma now that the prices are ridiculously low. Why? I like the design. If I've to but action figures based on what they do in the movie how the hell should I justify all the OT Stormtroopers (dumb and always missing target) I have, let alone dress like one? :lol

Read some of the viewers reviews (not the critics) on RT (down under 60% now)...
You'll see the critics here are not an alternate universe.
I'm still trying to figure out how disney got all the pro critics to score this so well. Even if you think this is a great movie, 90%+ seems like an odd score for this.

I don't blame johnson, what was pre visualized and story boarded probably was shot correctly, there isn't any camera movement that I find offensive, and I thought the acting was just fine. I also have to applaud the editors for this, because this is basically a 2 and a half hour trailer for episode 9, but the continuity is fine, I can make some sense of why the story is where it is, there is no way disney is going to sink millions of dollars into shots that an editor will eventually cut, so if there is something cut, it's going to be a dialogue scene.

The problem is the story itself, this is what happens when a lot of people who don't have a clear idea of the story they are telling try to make something. It doesn't help that the producers are probably not people who grew up with star wars (kennedy), for them Its just a commercial item to exploit.

I am hoping I'm way off the mark because I really want to dig new star wars stories.

I'd agree with comments that there were complaints about TFA being too much of a repeat. Then there's something that's "different" and it's inexcusable?

You create storylines that seem like natural extensions of the world you created without literally repeating the same story beats. I'm not sure why this is such a hard middle ground for apologists to understand.

Rouge One did it well, even though that film did have some problems with characterization and first act structure.

It's like designing a house. You want all the rooms to flow together naturally, but you don't literally have multiple copies of the same room.

Great post. One I am finding amusing is that Luke didn't do anything in this movie but they love Obi Wan from A New Hope because they romanticize that movie. If they view A New Hope from the perspective of happening after I-III you see that Obi Wan is back and he was an amazing Jedi and wow he didn't really do anything in A New Hope compared to his life. Obi Wan in ANH and Luke here a freaking old men and are different people than their youth. I grew up on the OT seeing it in theaters and this movie is in the spirit of the OT.

So you're seriously putting down ANH to defend this crap?

I swear to God, we are living in a generation that welcomes bad movies.

The MCU is a social experiment on literally getting an entire demographic to happily digest mostly terrible cinematic content. SW is now apparently performing the same experiment.

Worst Star Wars movie of all time. Rose is a horrible character. Finn one liners were really lame. "Let's go chrome dome" gtfo. Wasted Luke and weren't faithful to the mythos or characters. All the new characters suck from this trilogy. Just awful. At least Phantom menace had maul

SNIKT deserves the hazing he is getting since he has been talking like he actually knows wth is going on bts when he is just another fanboy who wishes so hard that his fan fiction comes true.

That said, one can really see the ugly side of SW fandom over here now.

I remember how two years ago when everyone was theorizing if Rey was a Skywalker or a Kenobi, people were like that is so unoriginal as that would be too obvious and the galaxy is a lot more bigger than that.

Now that it was revealed that Rey is a nobody and just a force sensitive individual (which was already established in the PT that they are many Force sensitive children and beings out there) everyone loses their mind when it was probably the boldest move there is. A zero to a hero. That is the quintessential path of the Hero's journey.

I like how Luke deconstruct the most hated aspect of the PT (midi-chlorian) and essentially brought back the OT explanation of the Force where it is everywhere and binds us and that everyone has the potential to harness it. Heck that was infact Lucas original explanation of the Force before he did that PT crap on midi-chlorian). I really don't know how that flew over the head of OT fans. I actually thought everyone will be happy that they reestablished that for the canon.

I remember when AOTC came out people were crying about how someone like Yoda shouldn't need to use his lightsaber and jumping around like a monkey and he should have showed his mastery in the Force for his encounter with Dooku. Rian now gave us that and now you guys wants Luke to jump around like a monkey with a lightsaber.

I also remember how months ago people here were talking about how they don't really wanna see Luke jumping around or spinning around like Yoda slaying everything in his path cause he will look like an ass due to his age. And in this movie they gave us a look into a higher form of Jedi battle which is perfect for Luke and people are now crying that Luke did not jump around slaying the FO

I just watched it a third time today and I really love it. The cinema I was in was packed with fans and everyone had a really great time especially Luke battle with Kylo. No one felt it was a cop out or cheesy. People actually felt he was able to show how much more powerful he is compared to Kylo and also shows his mastery of the Force to the point that he doesn't need to meet you hand to hand. Meeting Kylo heads on is just bowing down to Kylo's level.

Luke outsmart and outplayed Kylo like how Obi Wan and Yoda would have.

Rian also takes a lot of inspiration from the EU which is also something I thought more people would like but it is becoming more and more clear that people really just want ANH 2.0 ESB 2.0 and ROTJ 2.0. Then people really should have whined less about TFA being ANH 2.0.

But really, make up your ****ing mind SW fans.

Great post :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap At least, *in general* that's what I was seeing reading IMDB comments. Like Luke would never change - SOMEHOW. Like Carrie Fisher was always supposed to look hot in a slave outfit or whatever.:google

But my theater burst into applause more than once - something I don't see often. PS. I thought one of the best things too was Luke telling Kylo he had failed him. IMO there was awesomeness here.

so you're seriously putting down anh to defend this crap?

I swear to god, we are living in a generation that welcomes bad movies.

The mcu is a social experiment on literally getting an entire demographic to happily digest mostly terrible cinematic content. Sw is now apparently performing the same experiment.

cambia tu avatar

I'm still trying to figure out how disney got all the pro critics to score this so well. Even if you think this is a great movie, 90%+ seems like an odd score for this.

It is simple really. When the prequels came out, Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox had the same influence over the Hollywood press as any other studio. But in comes Disney, already a powerhouse, who buys up ABC, Lucasfilm, and now Fox. They are now bigger than all other film studios combined. It should be obvious now that Disney has profound influence over the Hollywood press, and critics (and their publishers) do not want to get on Disney’s bad side and risk their access to advance screenings, access to talent for interviews, and most importantly, advertising revenue.

As much as I want to see X-men join the MCU, the deal between Disney and Fox will create an unfair monopoly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back