Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The clips iam seeing of rey and kylo fighting the guards make it seem kind of rediculous, the choreography looks half finished with guards just spinning around looking funny like extras from the dark knight rises. I remember thinking luke was gonna go force unleashed in this movie and bring down a star destroyer , get schocked at what he did and go into hiding but....... now just green milk. hu

Last edited:
The clips iam seeing of rey and kylo fighting the guards make it seem kind of rediculous, the choreography looks half finished with guards just spinning around looking funny like extras from the dark knight rises.

That's pretty much how the scene feels. Very choreographed but not very well practiced. There's two good bits in the whole fight.

The lightsaber duels in this are all slow and poorly done.

I liked it........

Rain Johnson did say it was different than other SW movies. I accept that. I will see it again for sure. The film was a visual splender!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Got a feeling like this is the SPECTRE of the SW films....

Once you guys in the states see this film, I don’t even think it will be divisive. I think the Majority will feel betrayed and quite bitter. After TAF I at least couldn’t wait to see what happened next. After this, I don’t care.

OT had no coherent plan either. Did you really think they knew Leia was Luke's sister when they had her kiss him? They made it up as they went along. All movie franchises do, unless it's based on a book series.

This is legitimate point, but Lucas wrote those films before the power and appeal of story-arcs was really established by 1990's TV writers. Also the artists surrounding him represented an unprecedented outburst of creativity that carries you through the films' obvious weaknesses. He also did a good job at world building, dialogue, and character development, on the first two films, when his first wife, Gary Kurtz, and others were on board as restraints/alternative creative visions.

JJ Abrams can show flashes of creative brilliance and competent writing, like early Lost, his contributions to Fringe, and the first Trek film. He's blindingly arrogant though and TFA is a lazy, unimaginative reboot of ANH.

With all the Jedi-Sith mythos created in the EU, the alternative ideas for sequels, etc., Abrams and Johnson have squandered a wealth of ideas to borrow from (the way MCU writers do to great effect). They also don't have to do heavy lifting like coming up the basic concepts of Stormtroopers, X-Wings, TIE Fighter, Imperial Walkers, Star Destrpyers, etc. The designs are all derivative now, which frees a massive amount of creative energy. That should have made them focus on compelling, well-conceived story arcs with rich character development. Instead they gave us making-it-up-as-we-go, with dead ends and weak characters like of Snoke, Phasma, Poe, and Rey.

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD

I haven't seen it yet, but if what is being said is a clear picture, then why................ I mean seriously why...?

Luke projects himself. Isn't that turning Luke into some sort of coward.

Why not show the audience how bad-ass the guy now is. He's lost lots of weight, got into decent shape. Give the audience some good fight scenes and show us what he's now become.

Could someone please flame the hell out of me, and tell me i'm completely wrong here. Please don't let it be true.

OT had no coherent plan either. Did you really think they knew Leia was Luke's sister when they had her kiss him? .

Actually, yes. That kiss was misdirection. After the first movie, during development of Empire, Lucas decided to make Luke and Leia brother and sister, that's why she was removed from a romantic entanglement with Luke and ended up with Han. Lucas knew he was going to reveal her as his sister. Why else the "Force" moment when Leia hears Luke's call at the end? The plan also included changing Vader to Luke's father, and his redemption by ultimately killing his Emperor. All loosely plotted before Empire was finished.

Saw it a few hours ago. It was solid. Some stand out scenes. However I went into it post the 'second to empire/better than empire (of course knew it would not be)' hype, which is ridiculous.

Guess that is the usual people getting carried away on the newest thing. Whatever freshest is best etc.

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD

Well, as much as i'm disappointed by this choice not to bring Luke to a one on one fight with his nephew, i kind of understand what Johnson and Co. tried to achieve here.
Luke is way past materialism at this point in life. Beside the fact he went into exile to end his life away from all civilization, he is clearly at a high level of spiritualism. Engaging in a fight is pointless to him. He's physically no match for Kylo and the First Order and would never use the Force in a Sith manner (blowing everything around him and murdering Kylo out of rage and anger. And the way things turned out on Crait, he could have been forced to act that way. Instead, he chose to buy time for the resistance so they could fight another day while remaining true to its Jedi belief (Use the Force for knowledge and defense never for attack).
This being said, i admit the way it was presented to us wasn't satisfying and left me with a sense of emptyness as i could't quite grasp what Johnson tried to achieve with that scene and lessened the following Luke's death scene at the same time.

Actually, yes. That kiss was misdirection. After the first movie, during development of Empire, Lucas decided to make Luke and Leia brother and sister, that's why she was removed from a romantic entanglement with Luke and ended up with Han. Lucas knew he was going to reveal her as his sister. Why else the "Force" moment when Leia hears Luke's call at the end? The plan also included changing Vader to Luke's father, and his redemption by ultimately killing his Emperor. All loosely plotted before Empire was finished.

OT purist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back