Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not angry about TLJ at all. There are things I hated and there are things I really enjoyed. I am split down the middle. It is very clear that this movie wasn't made for the people who grew up with the OT and I am okay with that. The great thing about the original trilogy is that it has a beginning, middle and an end. If you want more story that takes place before A New Hope, you have it in the prequels, and if you don't, you can ignore it. The same can be said for the Sequel trilogy. You can either accept it or leave it. The OT is nicely contained. For me Star Wars begins with the Empire chasing the Tantive IV and ends with Luke smiling at his force ghost mentors and dancing with his friends on Endor. I don't need anything else.

As for TLJ itself, I just want to mention some things I did like since there seems to be so much negativity in the thread as it is (and rightfully so).

-I really loved the Luke and R2 moment. When Luke says there is nothing R2 can do to change his mind and then R2 plays the message from Leia, I got the feels man.
-Yoda. Was not expecting him at all. To see him show up and have that moment with Luke was great. Was nice to see him acting like his crazy old self and not super serious like in the prequels.
-Porgs. I enjoyed them. Loved the moment with Chewie.
-I liked the whole sequence with Snoke. It was cool to see Rey and Kylo fighting together. I liked the twist. Was a great moment in the movie.

Anyways like everyone here I could go on and on but will try to avoid a wall of text. It is a lot to digest.

I'm so fascinated with this disaster of a movie. I've been reading about it nonstop since The Pawn broke the first spoilers on the internet almost a week ago.

I watched the movie with my own eyes but I still can't believe how bizarre it was. My friend and I both left the theater feeling unsettled for some reason.

There was something not right about this film. Is this some grand scale MK Ultra type stuff?

bOCAaro.gif

Dilly dilly :duff

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD

:hi5:

Just saw a reviewer who called Dern's character "Admiral Effie Trinket" :lol :rotfl

:lol

When I refreshed after voting it had dropped to 8/10.

There's been 6000 votes since and it's holding.

Must be a lot of five year olds with IMDB accounts giving it 10/10.

:lol

When I refreshed after voting it had dropped to 8/10.

There's been 6000 votes since and it's holding.

Must be a lot of five year olds with IMDB accounts giving it 10/10.

You scroll thru reviews? They are all 1, 3, 2, 1 .......how they hell are they getting 8? Unless a ton of people voted, as said, before seeing it. Or it's a BS poll. Something isn't lining up. It's getting killed in the comments.

Also, a-dev, will you be satisfied if Luke and Han show up as force ghost thingies in Episode 9? Will that scratch that itch of seeing two old friends reunited?

That actually sounds like something they might do. And they'd probably CGI Carrie with them. They'd have some explaining to do about how Han can be a force ghost though. As to would it satisfy me - well..I doubt it because these films have made me regret wishing to have the original cast back. I didn't want them back just to kill them all off, that's depressing.

It's something to not like a movie, but you guys are starting to sound like...

south-park-no-life.jpg

"Hey man, let's be cynical on the interwebz because it's cooooool!"

"Yeah man, let's be cyyyyyniiiccoooool!"

*High five"

It's something to not like a movie, but you guys are starting to sound like...

"Hey man, let's be cynical on the interwebz because it's cooooool!"

3 people with me were not SW fans, so to speak. I was only one who hated it, and said so.

I could care less what the web says.

SW is my favorite movie ever. So there is personal/emotional investment. If it was a Transformer movie, I'd have nothing to say.

Got it? This is venting out of anger.

The more I think about it, the biggest missed opportunity was the flashback. There hasn't been a flashback before in SW but if you're going to do one, make it a good one. This would have given us the opportunity to see "Jedi Master Luke"(not an astral projection) in full form, really battling against an angry Kylo, who maybe tried to destroy the academy and subvert his students FIRST. That would have shown motivation for Luke to act as he did.

Just like his father, Kylo needed to "shoot first"!

With the V.O., explain that he was powerful but always jealous of the abilities or attention that other students got from Luke. I always thought that Rey was going to be revealed as a young but very powerful student at the academy that Kylo was jealous of but when he and the KoR destroyed it, his light side wouldn't allow him to kill her so he took her and put her on a desolate planet to be rid of her. I mean, WHAT was the force flashback scene about when the figure that was about to "kill" Rey was killed by Kylo as if saving her about?! Maybe she was meant to be seeing it from Luke's vantage point, but why would he have been saving Luke?? Just too many setups that were abandoned.

They certainly set up a known past for Rey in TFA; Kylo saying"WHAT girl?!" as if he knew which girl this might be. Maz asking Han "Who's the girl?" and then cutting away without him saying "I don't know, just some kid" or "She's____". WHY do that if it's just going to be a red herring with the answer being "nobody" instead of "she was one of Luke's youngest and best students."? At least that way, Maz has more motivation to try to push Luke's lightsaber on her - she was Luke's student, she should have it.

I truly think this was the idea, but it's almost like they're playing "pass it on" writing with this plot. "Luke lowers his hood, stares at Rey and the lightsaber and...GO!"

A badly acted movie is a badly acted movie, whether it has Star Wars in the title or not.

Never thought it was possible to make a Star Wars movie that was worse than the Prequel Trilogy. But they succeeded.

How did they get from Rogue One to this in such a short time?

If they'd listened to Mark Hamill's insistence that they pay attention to Lucas' outline maybe the actors would've been more invested in their parts.

3 people with me were not SW fans, so to speak. I was only one who hated it, and said so.

I could care less what the web says.

SW is my favorite movie ever. So there is personal/emotional investment. If it was a Transformer movie, I'd have nothing to say.

Got it? This is venting out of anger.

Of course i get it. You kinda made your point 20 pages ago.

I remember realizing at some point as a child that they were all dead anyway. It clearly stated that these films took place a long, long time ago. I've known all along that Han, Luke, and Leia were long dead.

Doesn't mean I ever wanted to see how it happened.

Yeah, we just like to rip up a canon that we hold close to our hearts, and mourn for the narrative distruction of characters that almost feel like family just so we can call ourselves cool.

I’m always amazed when I read people talking that way in a Star Wars forum. If you don’t get it, then leave. Or at least don’t take recreational pokes at disheartened fans expressing pain so YOU can sound cool. Move along.

From IMDB:

“The Last Jedi felt like making love to the woman of your dreams, and right before you climaxe she stops you, pushes you away, and tells you to leave for not apparent reason.”

Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back