Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII - May 26, 2017

Yeah if it's going to be around a two year, we can expect XI as well. It'll be great to see all these star wars and Marvel flicks! :rock

2017:

Star Wars 8
Justice League Part 1

Who will be victorious?

Also that year:

Wonder Woman
Black Panther*
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor Ragnarok*

*unless these two were pushed back due to the Spider-Man deal

That's gonna be an intense line up; can't forget the Spidey reboot. As much as Id hate it, I think Avatar will be the big box office catch.

I could see Justice League being the frontrunner unless BvS somehow tanks. SW and Avatar will be straight sequels but Justice League, while part of an ongoing universe, will be the "first" time all seven heroes will be together on the same team.

Thor will be crushed. :lol

My money is on Avatar 2. Never underestimate James Cameron. JL's success will depend on BVS because if it sucks, there might not be a JL film :lol As far SW goes, again it depends on episode 7, and that other film their making. Too many SW in a short period of time can make the franchise lose its novelty.

Blomkamp's ALIENS sequel might also be hitting that same year. If it does then damn, what a line-up.

I can see Guardians and Spidey actually doing decent. JL will depend on a lot. But consider the fact it's part 1. Most people hate that stuff.

I can see Guardians and Spidey actually doing decent. JL will depend on a lot. But consider the fact it's part 1. Most people hate that stuff.

True. That guarantees that it won't have a satisfying climax. Part 1's never do. Whereas SW and Avatar could have people cheering and walking out of the theater with huge smiles on their faces.

But isn't SW 8 a continuation of part 7? If so, it's just the second part of a trilogy, and the same goes for avatar. I don't expect a satisfying conclusion with those films either.

I still see SW being tops, followed by Justice League unless BvS is a disaster like Khev said. I don't see Avatar 2 doing nearly as well as the first one since it will have been 8 years since the first one. At least SW and JL will have had the previous installments only 2 years prior and will still be hot in people's minds. Avatar 2 will have to be mind blowingly great, and miles better than the first in order to do well. Guardians might surprise everyone (again) and come it at #2 beating out JL. I agree Thor will be trampled!

2017:

Star Wars 8
Justice League Part 1

Who will be victorious?

Also that year:

Wonder Woman
Black Panther*
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor Ragnarok*

*unless these two were pushed back due to the Spider-Man deal
Funny that the two movies I'm most excited about here at this point are are Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy. Hopefully Batman V. Superman and Star Wars VII get me more pumped for those franchises.

But isn't SW 8 a continuation of part 7? If so, it's just the second part of a trilogy, and the same goes for avatar. I don't expect a satisfying conclusion with those films either.

Well sure but funnily enough the second act of a trilogy (ESB, TDK, LOTR:TTT) tends to have a more satisfying conclusion than Part 1 of a two-parter (Kill Bill being the one exception.) I believe the reason is that with trilogies the second film is forced to survive as it's own film because it isn't the setup nor the resolution. With two-parters you typically get Part 1: Setup, Part 2: Resolution.

That's one of the reasons I'm actually glad that The Hobbit was structured that way. I feel that we got three actual movies instead of two "half films" even if they were episodic in nature.

Well sure but funnily enough the second act of a trilogy (ESB, TDK, LOTR:TTT) tends to have a more satisfying conclusion than Part 1 of a two-parter (Kill Bill being the one exception.)

Maybe, although ESB ended on a cliffhanger like Matrix 2, so it really wasn't a conclusion. The whole JL part 1 thing makes no sense, imo. Just call it JL and just do a sequel and it can still be a continuation of the same story and characters :dunno

You can end on a cliffhanger but still wrap-up the main story of the film. ESB was all about Vader's pursuit of Luke which culminated in the trap set on Cloud City. While Han's fate was indeed a cliffhanger it isn't like ESB ended with Luke still en route to Cloud City. That's the type of lack of resolution you tend to get after watching a "Part 1."

You can end on a cliffhanger but still wrap-up the main story of the film. ESB was all about Vader's pursuit of Luke which culminated in the trap set on Cloud City. While Han's fate was indeed a cliffhanger it isn't like ESB ended with Luke still en route to Cloud City. That's the type of lack of resolution you tend to get after watching a "Part 1."

Nah, that's a subplot, not what the story was about. They main characters were separated at the end, Luke lost his hand, his training to become a Jedi wasn't complete, C3PO was broken (literally :lol...I think), Vader revealed that he was Luke's father which created more questions and changed the dynamic of the characters, and in the end Luke still escapes and was still "on the run." That is a hell of a cliffhanger...if there ever was one :lol Not a conclusion at all.

Nah, it's about Luke's training and his training wasn't complete until part 3. And even if it was about Vader capturing Luke, he still got away :lol

Yes, the villain's plan was foiled, which tends to happen in satisfying adventure stories. But make no mistake, that was the villain's plan and all of the events of the film (probe droids, walker attack, asteroid chase, even the interruption of Luke's training due to the trap Vader set) were manipulated (usually directly) by that plan until finally Luke fell into the trap and he and Vader had it out. Luckily for him he was victorious in the fact that he survived and didn't get caught and Vader's plan failed.

Look, I know you want to school me on what my favorite film of all time was about, and it's cute, it really is but:

hpcqAz9.gif

Yes, the villain's plan was foiled, which tends to happen in satisfying adventure stories. But make no mistake, that was the villain's plan and all of the events of the film (probe droids, walker attack, asteroid chase, even the interruption of Luke's training due to the trap Vader set) were manipulated (usually directly) by that plan until finally Luke fell into the trap and he and Vader had it out. Luckily for him he was victorious in the fact that he survived and didn't get caught and Vader's plan failed.

Look, I know you want to school me on what my favorite film of all time was about, and it's cute, it really is but:

hpcqAz9.gif

Speaking of cute, nice gif. But, your "argument" or point was that ESB had a satisfying conclusion to the story and that's not the case, even if it is your favorite film of all time. :dunno The problem is that you're looking at ESB as a single film/story, when it's just part 1 of a story, unlike the first film. It's a trilogy, sure and ESB is part 2...but really, A New Hope was its own film and there was no need for ESB because of the way ANH ended, but ESB was designed differently and that story doesn't have conclusion at all, until ROTJ (although I wouldn't call ROTJ a satisfying film :lol)

Speaking of cute, nice gif. But, your "argument" or point was that ESB had a satisfying conclusion to the story

Well let me clarify then. I didn't say that ESB had a satisfying resolution on the level of the finale of ANH or ROTJ or a standalone film like Jaws or something. Our discussion was very specifically regarding the satisfaction of "middle films" compared to "Part 1 of a two-parter." You're now making it into something else because I never indicated that there wasn't more to be seen or done after the events of ESB. In fact I even acknowledged that it ended on a cliffhanger.

Our discussion was "what will most likely be MORE satisfying, JL Part 1 or SW 8 or Avatar 2?" All three of those films will end with things unresolved no doubt but I have a feeling that JL's ending will be the most annoying to viewers.

Actually now that I think of it I stated "at least ESB didn't end with Luke on his way to Cloud City" while kind of using The Hobbit trilogy as a good example of not doing that. I don't know what I was thinking because DOS ended EXACTLY with a "Luke on his way to Cloud City" type of scenario and it pissed me off! :lol :duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back