Star Ace 1/6 - Harry Potter - Severus Snape

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to add to its just the light playing tricks heres two pics from the same photo shoot that you keep posting. Look at that.

Also, lights on sets are usually (want to say always, as I've never not seen one with one) blocked with a blue or orange/tungsten gel for color temp, which could be add to the deception.

By that logic, his hair and the robe should be turning purple (or some other color), too.

The shirt appearing to be black is the optical illusion, not the other way around.

By that logic, his hair and the robe should be turning purple, too.

The shirt appearing to be black is the optical illusion, not the other way around.

Dude stop, it's stuff like this that got you booted from another forum that shall remain nameless. You're butting head just for the sake of it.

How about everyone drops it? The figure we are getting is the figure we are getting, case closed.

9c4KRaycE.jpeg

Not to keep this going (as I really don't care, as long as the figure looks cool and as close as possible to the source material), but, by simple physics, no real black material could reflect a different color, as black is the complete absorption of light, all spectrum.

Hence, if a material has any color as a effect of "optical illusion", the only color that he cannot be, by definition, is pure black.

I do believe that the color might be quite close to black, but with some purple-ish material. Which, actually, if exposed to lights without the spectrum that reflects from the purple patterns, would look absolutely black to the naked eye.

That said, it's quite probable, that it is a dark purple-ish vest, that when you guys that saw it "in real life", under a specific light that didn't had the specific spectrum to be reflected, looked at it, it was perceived as black.

My guess is it was designed as dark blue/purple so it would reflect more depth of the costume on screen, but I have no doubt the intent of the overall appearance was supposed to be black on black. They would also have factored in color correcting when designing the costume, and known to at least some degree that it was going to look black.

The way I see it is, would Snape, as a character, even remotely allow color into his life?

Not to keep this going (as I really don't care, as long as the figure looks cool and as close as possible to the source material), but, by simple physics, no real black material could reflect a different color, as black is the complete absorption of light, all spectrum.

Hence, if a material has any color as a effect of "optical illusion", the only color that he cannot be, by definition, is pure black.

I do believe that the color might be quite close to black, but with some purple-ish material. Which, actually, if exposed to lights without the spectrum that reflects from the purple patterns, would look absolutely black to the naked eye.

That said, it's quite probable, that it is a dark purple-ish vest, that when you guys that saw it "in real life", under a specific light that didn't had the specific spectrum to be reflected, looked at it, it was perceived as black.

your simple physics must be broken :rotfl

Harry potter potions.JPG

your simple physics must be broken :rotfl

View attachment 245921

My point being, that being seen black or other color is a matter of perception and light, but it can not be a pure black fabric or it wouldn't be perceived as another color. Then again, no real fabric is a perfect color.

So, in the end, the whole argument is not necessary.

And, to try to be as basic as possible. I am not saying that something perceived as black under certain circumstances by some people means those people are wrong. I'm just trying to explain that, it cannot be pure black. Try to read about the black color anywhere. Any basic optics book. Wikipedia. Anywhere.

Adding a picture and saying. "Look, it's black" doesn't contradicts anything I'm stating, since the "being perceived as black" means that no reflection of a specific spectrum is being reflected back. And that would be captured in a picture.

And just to be even more painfully nitpicking. I can explain both conjectures on that photo you posted, so that you can perceive how much your eyes can betray you.

The shirt is black: Any black fabric becomes greyer with time, due to some discoloration from washing. That grey is due to small "white spots" on the fabric, that, if subjected to a blue-purple light, will reflect blue-purple

The shirt is blue-purple: The fabric is made from a dark blue-purple fabric, which, if subjected to a white or other light containing elements of that specific spectrum reflect as blue-purple. Although, if subjected to a light missing that spectrum, will not reflect and be perceived as black.

Wanna do a simple experiment, get a green shirt, as green as you can and go into a revelation room (those with red lights).

I do believe that it is a dark-blue-purple-ish fabric, and as said above, the intend was to be as close as they could to black, while still having some contrast with the other fabrics (like his cape thing).

I do like the idea that it is supposed to be as black as possible, since Snape wouldn't allow color in his life.

And, as far as I'm concerned, both a black (no other predominant spectrum being reflected, as black as possible in a fabric - which, usually, have small points of other colors, that's why no fabric is absolutely black) or a really dark purple (almost black) vest would be great, IMO.

I do like that they made the color more dark in the last prototype in comparison to the first pictures shown.

Last edited:
What was the argument again? Cause I'm watching the films and he is wearing a deep purple shirt.

Over here.

I think he looks great. I have been more impressed with star ace figures in hand. Sirius was the best example. All my repaint plans etc on him , i didnt do anything. Mad eye on the other hand needed some tweaks. I think snape will look awesome on my shelf with my potter figures

even the great reviewer, Michael Crawford said this:

"I'm going to say something here that I never thought I'd say - I like the Medicom Snape sculpt better than the Star Ace."

Here's the complete review of Snape by him.

Medicom's Harry was laughable, but I've ALWAYS been very impressed by Snape. I don't understand why some people put that figure down. Even the paint is better than, for example, my Big Chief figures.

But I do think the Star Ace outfit might be an improvement. But it's hard to tell...what do people think about the outfits compared to one another?

As I've posted before, the Medicom outfit bleeds into the head sculpt if you're not careful. I'll probably put my Medicom head onto the Star Ace body and clothing...after a seal and retouch of the head.

Never happened with mine, thankfully. Only time that ever happened was with a Big Chief figure. Stupid red bow-tie bled all over the chin area.

Back