Premium Format SSC Batman PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Sideshow Batman PF

What kinda sucks for me is I like the Long ears batman "face" the best but the Short ears "mask" is far better in every way IMO.

300131_press06.jpg

That's what I'm saying. I don't want Sideshow's stamp on it. I don't read comics with a Batman that Sideshow's artist created. I don't look at this and see anything that reminds me of any DC artists rendering of Batman I've ever read or liked. I have no connection with it. I'm not saying it has to be 100% based on one in particular, but mix in a little Adams, Lee, Ross, Bolland, Mazzuccheli, Kubert etc. Make it feel like a character I know.

I believe with DC artist keep the rights to their depictions of each character, so if SS was to make a "Jim Lee" Batman they would have to pay DC and Jim Lee, raising the cost even more.

Quoting WW at SF:

There are two factors here: Sideshow accommodating those collectors who complain about "exclusivity" and taking advantage of that request.

We already know that the total cost per statue from start to finish is less then $100 a unit. Then you take into account that the more you produce the less it cost to produce each unit. Add to that, Sideshow could (should) make a total run of 1500-2000 including exclusive to accommodate the huge demand for a character like Batman, which WILL SELL OUT. Now you figure when you have a run of 2000 units and a run of 750 units cost you just under a $100 ea unit to produce that the cost on the larger run will be $50 or less per unit.
There are more then 750 collectors in the world. Who want and can afford this and other statues.
Usually price increases when there is high demand and limited product. Not a price increase when the item has NOT even been produced yet!
It's ridiculous when you can pay $50 for a 7" porcelain statue via mail order and have no paint flaws, breaks or idiots whining about ES. But you pay $400 for a statue made out of crap material and has QC issues from here back to china.

I only post this because I now see veteran collectors complaining about the price gouging. If they would simply produce statues at a run that is sufficient for the growing number of collectors out there at a reasonable price point we would all be happy. It is absolutely ridiculous that they increase the price point, sticking it to the collecting community, when it is easier to increase the ES and keep the price point the same or lower. I know SS is greedy and that they won't reduce the price to help us fuel our hobby. But increasing the price on a product that hasn't even made it into production and won't be in collectors hands for another 9 month to a year is just bad business.

But that's pretty much what Sideshow's creative team is all about. It's their M.O.

It appears that way. I waited years for Sideshow and DC to hook up and have a go at my favorite comic character and they've dissappointed me with the bust and now the pf. I'll hold out hope for the LSF but my expectations are about as low as they come right now. I have a feeling we'll just get another bizarre looking alien head.

Damn, I'm finding myself balking at the Ex. because of cost. Is a switch out hand worth $40, or do I go with Alter Ego? Decisions, decisions. . .

It is not worth it now, but it will be in a few years.

Yes but they will charge u for the nrd

One quick question, is the NRD that they take from your account, is that total then deducted from the final price before the you pay for the whole thing once it arrives at the warehouse? Thanks

Quoting WW at SF:
I don't agree that what they're doing is bad business, because they're gonna sell this stuff at the price they charge. One of the things World Warrior isn't accounting for is a lack of competition. Until and unless HT, Enterbay, or some other company can compete in the 1/4 scale comic character market, SSC can pretty much charge what it wants. Forget costs per unit to manufacture, price is driven by demand as much as anything when you've got a monopoly.

I do think SSC could be in trouble in the long run if they don't improve on their paint work, other QC concerns (like paint sticking to Terminator's jacket), and their customer service, though--these are things they were pretty good at handling in the past, and like I said before, they are positioned to continue succeeding into the future so long as they are the only game in town, but their movements toward making a profit over producing a good product and treating customers fairly could end up biting them in the rear regardless of all that if they aren't careful. Certainly, seeing 1/4 scale figures with Hot Toys/Enterbay type paint apps could light a real fire under them to step it up if statue collectors start realizing the positives of high end 1/4 scale figures.

What pieces are you holding out for peedi? How do you know what's coming? Just educated guess or confirmed pieces? Just wondering as I
am new to the hobby wondering if there is a resource I don't know about. This was my first confirmed SS purchase, got on the Rhino waitlist.

SS usually updates people about what's coming up in the Experience section of the site. Check Ask Sideshow for a lot of upcoming stuff, and the sneak peek vids and pics. Also the sneak peek vids show concept drawings in the intro, several of those drawings turned into PFs already like Master Chief. There's still a lot more on the way...

One quick question, is the NRD that they take from your account, is that total then deducted from the final price before the you pay for the whole thing once it arrives at the warehouse? Thanks

Yes. Thy subtract it from your total

mix in a little Adams, Lee, Ross, Bolland, Mazzuccheli, Kubert etc. Make it feel like a character I know.

I dont know. THose artists didnt copy the guy before them. They put their own style on Batman as well.
Unless youre saying SS's design team shouldnt have the same creative liberty those comic pencillers were allowed with their work.

Meh, I bought the exclusive. Maybe that variety could be worth $40. He does look a bit more mundane with just his fists by his side.

Quoting WW at SF:

I hear your point, but if there were 1000,000 pieces of this available then there wouldn't be anything special about them and they wouldn't be "collectibles" or worth collecting in my opinion. There are plenty of $50 Batman statues out there -- but -- they look like sh@t! Still. The $$$ ughs, I agree with you on that part.

Back