SS SW Figure price increase Upset or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you upset by the recent SW figure price increase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The price hasn't bothered me much yet. I know my limits and I only buy select figures so it doesn't become as much of an issue. I also see my collection having a limit in the number I want and the amount of space/money I have for them.

Now if I had to have them all - then yeah, I would have much more of a problem with the cost and I could see why others who are in this situation would feel the same way.

Of course if the price continues to go up, then yeah, I expect a new body which is really the main improvement I could ask for - otherwise I've been completely satisfied with my figures. And even with those types of adjustments there's only so high I would be willing to pay for a 1:6 figure. I wouldn't expect any figures other than armored ones to go higher than $69.

I'm almost out. I will get a couple of the main characters but if I'm gonna pay around $120-$150 for a 1/6 figure it's gonna be from Hot Toys. I got Luke because he's one of my favorite characters but if this is the base pricepoint then characters like Commander Praji are going to be skipped. I might get rid of the PT stuff and just focus on OT...

I can't think of too many more cloth outfit guys I'd be willing to drop $70 on. Tusken Raider, Bossk... that's about it really. I want a Lando, but I wouldn't pay $70 for him.

My guess is from here on out the lowest price for a 1/6 is $60. Even the figures like Shaun of the Dead and Praji are at that point. And if you compare the amount of accessories they come with compared to Luke I still think you are seeing a solid value.

It is a bummer that the increasing prices means that some collectors are being left out, but the reality is that 1/6 figures are getting more expensive.

Or some other unseen factor? Or just keeping up with the Joneses...which makes me think, Indy will be high won't he Sideshow? Like, around $100? I bet.

According to the license announcement the lowest price for the Indy line will be $69.99. So my guess would be the Raiders Indy will be either that or $74.99. I really doubt he'll be $100.

Whatever explanation Sideshow may give for the increase in the 12" figures (to keep the prices of the armored figures at a lower cost, for example) still wouldn't explain the price hikes in their other lines. PF, for instance. Take Aragorn and Anakin PF. Both at $300, where in reality should probably be no more than $250-$275. Sideshow is increasing the prices of their products across the board and have been for some time. I first noticed it when they released their ROTK WETA pieces. Whether it's because they are cashing in on their popularity in the industry or because of gas price hikes, manufacturing costs, food increases, whatever...they'll never tell us.

The question comes down to how much are you willing to pay for what you are getting? I think many collectors are reaching their breaking points with most of these pieces. Higher end collectibles are saturating the market and after years of buying frenzy the market is leveling off for the most part. We are seeing it already with pieces that we expect to sell well that don't, pieces that we expect to be extremely popular that aren't, and pieces that sell out but return as second chance items or can still be readily available on the secondary market for a cheaper cost.

I did a quick count on the "must-have" figures for me and basically was able to get the list down to these:

1. R2
2. C3PO
3. Darth Vader (any OT rendition)
4. Stormtrooper
5. Sandtrooper
6. Tarkin
7. Boba Fett
8. Jango Fett
9. TPM Obi-Wan
10. TPM Anakin (yeah, I know, but I need the brat in my collection...)

7 out of 10 are going to cost significantly more than the average figure, being that some type of armor is involved.

The rest would be gravy to me but with the pricing inching higher, more will be bypassed initially, perhaps being picked up at reduced pricing on ebay or from "for sale" offers here. Many more will simply be passed on.

I'm sure this has been said. If they could produce at the quality that Hot Toys or Takara does then I don't mind the increase. I'm anxious to see the paint and headsculpts for the Han and Luke. They best be not needing a repaint.

I actually remember being surprised that the Jedi Luke was only $49.99 when he came out. To me, he came with an extremely large amount of accessories and from a popular license to be that low. Although I'd been used to paying higher prices for Medicom figures and stuff from other companies.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if the new figure was still $49.99 but to me it just seems like that is what I've come to expect and $69.99 just isn't that much of a price that it will turn me away especially for the quality.

Paying 70 dollars for a Luke figure with no new body or even changes to the exesting body is ludicris.Then SS's excuse for raising the prices on all their figure's is that the price of petroleum has gone up,I aint buyin it.I bet ya that the body SS is supposedly making with the help of HT won't be that dramaticly changed.I would only expect a few changes to it's existing body,and there won't be a whole new body like what some here are assuming.SS even said in one of there Ask Sideshow forums that they were'nt going to change the wrist joints because in their eye's it would take away from the posebility.

There's not much to show for the increase. The quality is not THAT great. You can get a LOADED Hot Toys figure for only $30 more and the quantity and quality blow these releases out of the water. DiD is in the same price range as Sidshow and their quality is PHENOMENAL! The quality and cut af fabric, the detail and materials used on accessories justify the price.

And, since their inception, Sideshow is stuck with the same lame body. Within this same time frame, Dragon is now on their 3rd body style, Hot Toys is on their 3rd, BBI is on their 3rd, DiD is on their second in an even shorter period, and even Medicom has an improved body albeit short. Each of these newer bodies had improvements in articulation and form. AND, AND, AND....these newer bodies did not

I like these figures, at a $45-$55 price point as that's what they're worth, even with the amount of accessories in the new Luke. Did I order him? Yes, but I'm already having a bit of buyer's remorse.

I actually remember being surprised that the Jedi Luke was only $49.99 when he came out. To me, he came with an extremely large amount of accessories and from a popular license to be that low. Although I'd been used to paying higher prices for Medicom figures and stuff from other companies.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if the new figure was still $49.99 but to me it just seems like that is what I've come to expect and $69.99 just isn't that much of a price that it will turn me away especially for the quality.

Yeah,he came with lots of accessories,huge hands and fat head.:lol

broken-record.jpg

Yeah, I'm out of the Star Wars line now. Depending on the price, I may not even get involved in the Indiana Jones one either.

The poll results speak for themselves,and are going pretty much as i thought they would.People are getting sick of it.

I understand it is getting kinda high for what we expect. I just don't understand some of the arguments being made.

1. I will just buy medicoms at that price.

Look at medicom Luke. Sure it may have a better body. Although it is a bit short and looks nothing like Luke. It was also twice the price of this.

2. I will not buy anymore until they change the body.

How many of you change the poses on a daily basis? Really besides MaulFan to take pictures. I mean most of us post our elaborate displays behind glass or on shelves. I for one don't walk into my room and play with my dolls. I set them up so they look good on a shelf.

3. I will just not buy it at that price.

Fine don't buy it. Maybe it will show them maybe it wont. Mind you this figure sold out at $69.99 in under an hour.

Maybe I just don't understand. Again this is not something you have to buy. If you want to argue price and beat a dead horse about something I suggest complaining about something usefull. Maybe you could write your congressman and complain about the price of gas. That would be a valid argument. I am getting sick of filling up my tank. After all I can't afford it anymore now that I have to drop $69.99 plus shipping for a doll. :rolleyes:

Yup. We can demand explanations all day long, but in the end money talks and BS walks.

Yup

It is, unfortunately, also pretty simplistic. Many people would like to buy these figures, but if they feel they are being price-gouged, then many will stop buying. Will their lives go on? Of course. Does that mean that any level of price-gouging should be considered A-OK? Not in my opinion.

Yeah, if they feel they're being gouged but I don't personally don't feel that way. When I do I'll just stop. Demanding explanations gets you no place really.

And there it is folks. Its a shame to see someone collecting so long drop a line.

It is but SW is so huge someone will fill the hole. SW has been around for 30 years and has been selling like mad for at least half that I'd guess. Its NOT going anyplace.

Back