SS SW Figure price increase Upset or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you upset by the recent SW figure price increase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pay it or don't. Pretty simple.

I'm paying it cause I want them. When I don't want to anymore I'll just stop. I don't need answers and I won't give reasons to why I stopped.

So you really don't think that the cost of making figures rises over 2 years? Fine then what sort of explanation are you looking for? Would anything offered make you happy... or are these threads just intended to be a place were you can use the word contrarian?

Please reread what I wrote. A significant percentage of the consumer products purchased in the US are produced in China. If there has been an across-the-board increase in manufacturing costs for products produced there, wouldn't you expect it to be evident in products other than those sold by Sideshow? Or do you believe that all other corporations eating the increased costs to keep their prices artificially low?

And, if the increase is not an across-the-board one, then Sideshow really needs to start using different factories.

So you really don't think that the cost of making figures rises over 2 years? Fine then what sort of explanation are you looking for? Would anything offered make you happy... or are these threads just intended to be a place were you can use the word contrarian?

An explanation that is true, doesn't necessarily address magnitude.

I agree a price increase is possible, but isn't it kinda odd that price increases happen to occur in nice round $5 numbers?

If it was all due to the world market and such, then $1 here, $2 there, ok.

$5....$5.....$5..... what a wonderfully consistant pattern that world economy.

So you really don't think that the cost of making figures rises over 2 years?

A total of 40%? In a word, No, I don't think the manufacturing costs have gone up nearly that much. Not at all. Therefore, I'd like Sideshow to explain the complete reason(s) behind the price hikes. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have legitimate reasons and explanations. I'd just like to hear them, because a simple notation of "manufacturing costs" doesn't stand up when you look at the percentages.

Why is this so hard to explain?

Hyperbole is the bestest word ever! (and you're wrong Irish. On RS there are quite a few people saying that this figure is "crap"....) :monkey1

Pay it or don't. Pretty simple.

It is, unfortunately, also pretty simplistic. Many people would like to buy these figures, but if they feel they are being price-gouged, then many will stop buying. Will their lives go on? Of course. Does that mean that any level of price-gouging should be considered A-OK? Not in my opinion.

You know what would be the perfect explanation?

"We are well into R&D on new base bodies for all of our 1:6 scale figures. We realize that we have fallen behind the industry standard in this area. Since Sideshow strives to provide the best quality collectibles to our customers we have joined into an agreement with Hot Toys to jointly develop the most articulate and cutting-edge 1:6 base figures possible in the market. The research and production costs behind this endeavour have been considerable. As a result, we have had to adjust the baseline prices of our most recent 1:6 scale figures in order to prevent an even more dramatic price increase when we debut our new base bodies. This way, you can expect our 1:6 figures to improve vastly with superior new base bodies in the near future while paying near the same price you are paying now."

Too good to be true?

Why is this so hard to explain?

I don't think its so hard to explain, but I think that the idea that Sideshow owes a detailed explanation is pretty unrealistic. Maybe you'll get one, but I guess my wondering is does it make some sort of difference in the end? Not like they're gonna say... "oh crap this figure took almost an hour to sell out, guess its time to change."

I don't think many companies regularly release their decision making on prices to consumers, they did give somewhat of an explanation (rising production costs) but I'm sure (like you) that there are other factors.

An explanation that is true, doesn't necessarily address magnitude.

I agree a price increase is possible, but isn't it kinda odd that price increases happen to occur in nice round $5 numbers?

If it was all due to the world market and such, then $1 here, $2 there, ok.

$5....$5.....$5..... what a wonderfully consistant pattern that world economy.

:lecture:lecture:clap

Thats obvious, but walking away AND giving an explanation is better than just walking away.

Sideshow is not going to come on here and explain themselves. Expecting them to do so is a long wait for a train don't come. The only thing that matter is if we pay or don't.

Hyperbole is the bestest word ever! (and you're wrong Irish. On RS there are quite a few people saying that this figure is "crap"....) :monkey1

Well, since this isn't RS (and that's a good example of why I don't post there anymore... it's either one extreme or the other) then it doesn't count. ;)

I wonder if the price (and maybe quality) increase will have a relation to the seeming slow down in figure releases or vice versa.

Am I just imagining a decrease in figure output?

I keep hearing it mentioned that the reason for these price increases is to keep the armored figures' price point lower, when they are released in the future. Has this been confirmed by Sideshow or is it purely conjecture from fellow Freaks?

By the way, I got my pre-order in (I love the excitement) but I'll most probably cancel and pick up a regular for $10+ less. The boonie & shades are just not worth it to me, since I'll never set up my Luke to look like Gilligan. ;)

I wonder if the price (and maybe quality) increase will have a relation to the seeming slow down in figure releases or vice versa.

Am I just imagining a decrease in figure output?

I don't think so. Back when they were on their PT jedi run, it seemed like we were getting a new announcement practically every week.

Back