SS SW Figure price increase Upset or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you upset by the recent SW figure price increase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OSCORP

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm sick of reading through pages upon pages of everything from the economy to the weak dollar to Oprah's shoe size on the reason why the price went up.So to get a better feel on what people think about the whole deal i thought i'd start a poll.

Point is YOU'RE the consumer when it comes down to it,so FOR WHATEVER REASON are you upset about it or not?

VOTE!

(Please keep posting to a minimum we have a discussion thread on the reasons..Just post how you voted.)

Last edited:
Re: SS SW Figire price increase Upset or not?

I wouldn't say I'm upset, but I do think the prices are getting to the point where improvements to the body and tailoring need to accompany them. If they go up much more without these improvements, then I might become reluctant to buy.

Not upset one bit. I know my threshold and when they get there then I stop. Until then give me more dollies.

I'm upset and really hate it, but it's not yet at the point where I pull out though. It's just that any more and I won't be able to buy things no matter how much I want them. I'm still wondering how I'll pay for the Hobbits when they come out.

I don't find any of this polls choices reflect how I feel. Would I like a cheaper fig? Sure, who wouldn't? Do I feel like I am being ripped off? Far from it.

I'm so boiled over that I had to open my window and yell outside, "I'm angry as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!" :monkey4

I really don't care, prices seem fair and I feel I'm getting great figures for the money. Now if they could be free... that would be cool. But given the realities of our world I think we're doing okay :rotfl

I usually buy the exclusive to keep it in the box and the regular to open. Lately I have not been able to justify buying both and have cut down to just the exclusive.
I really cannot afford more than one if they go past 59.99. If they go any higher I won't be able to buy any at all.
Yes, I love this hobby but I also have a budget and I won't move in with my folks to sustain my collection.

Last edited:
Being the impatient barstool that I am, I havent been waiting or buying that many SS figures !

Ive been buying certain hasblows (ones I can work with, not all) and customising them. Or certain Sideshow ones - Secondary off evilbay or certain Medicoms - Primarilly from Sideshow

With the price of an SS figure increasing and the quality decreasing or standing still (eg if I want large heads on my 1:6th figures ill buy Hasblo or a bobblehead or if I want certain uniform inaccuracies Ill again buy Hasblo or Ill make them myself)

its getting to the stage where Im not like the dog with its tongue hanging out looking toward SS for the next announcement (as I used to be)

Dont get me wrong Im interested, but no where near as interested as when I first started collecting ! but Im only interested if certain criteria are met

- Is the figure decent - eg no bobblehead decent clothes, screen accurate ?

- Is the figure a decent price ?

and

tbh

The way that Sideshow currently announces a new figure

1. Piss.es me off
2. Makes me lose interest

This teaser sneak a peak of the headsculpt (from the one angle that works) behind the scenes annoucement. One pic ???????

You want me interested ????????

Show me the figure front back and sides

Show me you got things right about the figure ! make me want it !

I dont mind paying for it then !

If someone was to ask me to blindly buy Medicom - Id consider it

If someone asked me to do the same of Sideshow - I couldnt

Sideshow has its place between the Hasblos and the Medicoms

They should be better than 1 and worse than the other

this should work for both quality and price !

The one thing that SS seems to have got right is the fact that they dont charge a deposit or give a cancellation fee

Theyd be out of business if they did ! Everyone buys using PPO and spends 3 months with their finger over the cancellation button ! and by the looks of Ebay alot of em press it !

if the price increases, the subject most wanted from the public should follow. chewy, lando, c3p0, r2d2, vader, grevious...all are wanted by the collector yet we get 3 lukes, 2 leias, 2 hans. how about giving the peeps more of what they want? ss has already listened with the emporer/palpatine 2 pack. i'd like to see more of that.

as far as the ppo mooncat, the streamline process seems to be working very well and newsletter subs get a link with the ppo announcement to view the figure from many angles before purchase. also the fact that ss allows a cancellation without penalty makes the buying experience very pleasurable.

as far as the ppo mooncat, the streamline process seems to be working very well and newsletter subs get a link with the ppo announcement to view the figure from many angles before purchase.

Am I right in thinking the PPO is the time it goes on sale ? ie for me its usually a Friday evening at 6.00 pm GMT and thats when everyone gets to see it ? from different angles ?

For me thats the time everyone logs in . . . orders it ? and then looks at what theyve ordered ?

As I think ok lets not miss out and a few others think that too i guess, they order it and then look at it,

and take a couple of months to ponder whether its worth the money ?

Wait a month cancel it (due to 1. lack of funds 2. decide the heads just too damn big 3. think its too expensive for what it is)

Wait another 3 - 4 months pick it up on ebay for less money than SS sell it

Admittedly theres the odd 1 or 2 that SS makes where your glad you pre ordered it - eg its a great figure and would be more expensive due to demand on ebay (but these are few and far between)

The majority of what SS produces can be picked up on ebay for less than SS sells it

Its only the odd 1 or 2 thats the exception

Me thinks its the completists - eg the Jabba fans - and the completists eg the SS SW fans that will buy even if they are over priced !

I include myself in the Jabba fans catagory :(

I have to say, I'm not bothered because I've come to expect everything in the world to cost more as the economy in the U.S. continues to worsen. I remember getting DVDs on opening day for nearly $15 now they mark them up to $30 and say they're on sale at $20 which is BS and they're just charging the regular price and making it look like they're cutting a break, but really, everything is growing in price at different rates, at least in the U.S. and I imagine the world, I just think you see it and are affected by it more with collectibles than a lot of other products.

Am I right in thinking the PPO is the time it goes on sale ? ie for me its usually a Friday evening at 6.00 pm GMT and thats when everyone gets to see it ? from different angles ?

For me thats the time everyone logs in . . . orders it ? and then looks at what theyve ordered ?

As I think ok lets not miss out and a few others think that too i guess, they order it and then look at it,

and take a couple of months to ponder whether its worth the money ?

Wait a month cancel it (due to 1. lack of funds 2. decide the heads just too damn big 3. think its too expensive for what it is)

Wait another 3 - 4 months pick it up on ebay for less money than SS sell it

Admittedly theres the odd 1 or 2 that SS makes where your glad you pre ordered it - eg its a great figure and would be more expensive due to demand on ebay (but these are few and far between)

The majority of what SS produces can be picked up on ebay for less than SS sells it

Its only the odd 1 or 2 thats the exception

Me thinks its the completists - eg the Jabba fans - and the completists eg the SS SW fans that will buy even if they are over priced !

I include myself in the Jabba fans catagory :(

i day or two before the item goes on sale, newsletter subscribers get a ppo announcement in their e-mail. that announcement has a link to view detailed photos of the item.

i day or two before the item goes on sale, newsletter subscribers get a ppo announcement in their e-mail. that announcement has a link to view detailed photos of the item.

Didnt realise that Tylerd, missed that somehow, Im a newsletter subscriber and tbh I dont think ive seen those are they mixed in with the newsletter ? or are they specific to the product ? eg a mail just on the product ?

Last edited:
The images of the figures also are posted in the production blog either the day before or 2 days before the figure goes up for pre order.

Didnt realise that Tylerd, missed that somehow, Im a newsletter subscriber and tbh I dont think ive seen those are they mixed in with the newsletter ? or are they specific to the product ? eg a mail just on the product ?

Log into your newsletter by going to Sideshows actual site. Not the one you get through your email. Under 'Choose your Interests' make sure you have the 'Express Updates NEW' box ticked, or alternatively use the 'Select All' button. You should start getting PPO announcements.

Log into your newsletter by going to Sideshows actual site. Not the one you get through your email. Under 'Choose your Interests' make sure you have the 'Express Updates NEW' box ticked, or alternatively use the 'Select All' button. You should start getting PPO announcements.

Thx will do when I get home

I don't really like it, but there are only a few 1:6 figures left that I want or will buy anyway.

Back