Spider-Man web of shadows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're really having trouble finding a good PS3 game?

Anyway, I've decided to pick up Web of Shadows, I'll tell you all how it is after I play a bit. What pushed me over the edge and made me decide was the launch trailer, I watched it again:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/K7GOTetMZFQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/K7GOTetMZFQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love that trailer! I saw it a few times before, but I can't get enough of that piano entro. :joy I'm going to break down and buy it too.

Well it certainly looks cool. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Alrighty guys, I had the chance to sink in about 5 hours of the game, here are my thoughts:

Pros:
The combat system is much improved. It has an addictive quality to it - You'll want to keep fighting and upgrading your attacks just to rack up the ridiculously long combo chains. I reached over 100 hit combos fairly easily. What's better, the fighting system is smooth and even the coolest (and toughest) combos aren't too difficult to pull off because of Spidey's new web line moves, which allow him to stay on top of the enemy at all times.

Being able to switch from red suit to the Symbiote suit on the fly is both a lot of fun and it opens up even more combo possibilities. The transition effect also happens to look pretty cool.

Swinging is still very fun. I spent a good half hour just swinging around New York, not doing anything else in particular. If there's one thing the recent Spidey games always get right, it's the web swing system.

Boss fights are the highlight of this game. One fight (with the Vulture) required me to stay in the air almost the entire time, defeating one enemy only to web zip to another, all in mid air.

The story (so far) is fairly interesting, mostly because the moral choices you make (good or bad) can affect the story in certain ways. I made one decision not to help a fellow superhero, then reloaded the game and decided the alternate choice to find that it does alter Spider-Man's interaction with certain characters later in the game.

Cons:
Okay, I should just put this out there first and foremost: The game can be sluggish at times. The framerate dips significantly when there are large groups of enemies on the screen and there's some screen tearing when you're swinging around the city. I also encountered a couple glitches that involved Spidey getting stuck in the level environment (the side of a skyscraper), which forced me to reset. It's not a big deal, but it was frustrating when it happened.

The game might get repetitive fast. I found that there aren't many side missions that DON'T involve beating up enemies. The pedestrian rescue missions and races are missing from Web of Shadows, which is a shame considering those were some of my favorite aspects about the previous Spider-Man games. Also, you'll have to fight each boss twice - once in pre-symbiote form, and then again once they're infected. Now, I liked the boss battles, so I didn't mind, but they behave similarly enough that it might bore some people.

Spider-Man's voice is extremely annoying. The voice actor who plays him sounds like a little kid at times. I'd rather have Tobey Maguire's phoned in voice over work in previous Spidey games than the guy in Web of Shadows. The rest of the characters aren't as bad.

-------

I'm enjoying the game so far. I've always been a big Spider-Man fan and I've played most (if not all) the Spidey games released since the PS1 (and also some from the 16-bit era), so I had to pick up Web of Shadows. I won't say I wasn't disappointed in some areas. The graphics could look better, the game's performance could be a bit smoother and Spider-man could sound a little less like a teenager but I had fun playing the game, and I guess that's what matters. Now, I'm only about 5-6 hours into it, so I'm not sure if I'll get tired of the repetition further down the line, so that's something you might want to consider before dropping $60 for the game - it might just be worth a rental for most people.

Btw, I played this on the Xbox 360.

That's a pretty strong all around rating in my opinion.

WOW! that's a big difference from IGN and gamespot is usually harder on games than most. (i've noticed IGN seems to have ^^^^^y reviewers as of the last year or so) I think i will get this afterall

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Web of Shadows is a fast-paced, soaring superhero adventure that delivers just about everything a Spider-Man game should.

Gamepro gave it 3.5 stars outta 5
THE BOTTOM LINE: Awesome action makes up for several shortcomings including a spastic camera and random technical glitches. Web of Shadows delivers the best combat system of any Spider-Man game to date and intense boss battles to go with it. An imperfect effort, but an entertaining one nonetheless.

Wow! This is the BEST Spidey game out there since the original PSX Spider-man and PS2's Spider-man 2. This is the game that Treyarch probably wanted to make since they were so rushed on Spider-man 3.

I got the PS3 version

Treyarch has followed the "If it ain't broke,don't fix it" mentality for their Spidey series since Spider-man 2 (with a few exceptions like Spider-man:FoF) and it seems that now that build is being polished to perfection with the way Web of Shadows shows how much better Treyarch can improve on a successful formula.

I agree 100% that the combat is MUCH improved and is much more fun this time around. Slowing down the action helps a lot to get those combos going that became such a mess-o'-buttons with the other Spidey games.The webline move and the differences between the suits make it much more interesting for changing combos and suits ON THE FLY.

For the span of the game, I can forgive some of the technical glitches and screen tearing because OVERALL...and by overall I have to say 90-95% of the time...the game maintains a smooth framerate. The camera is a little whacky...but for the way the Spider-man games have been, its ALWAYS been that way and it might be tough to improve it without slowing the action down. If there is one thing I'd like to see Treyarch work on next is when Spidey comes in contact with building sides and such while swinging...I think they could bring back the "crawling" button because I've had many times where I just want to crawl up the wall but instead I'm jumping about it.

I'm not very far but I am heavily impressed. Spidey and his allies game models are really well done, especially Spidey himself and I'm eager to see how this game goes.

Wow! This is the BEST Spidey game out there since the original PSX Spider-man and PS2's Spider-man 2. This is the game that Treyarch probably wanted to make since they were so rushed on Spider-man 3.

I got the PS3 version

I agree 100% that the combat is MUCH improved and is much more fun this time around. Slowing down the action helps a lot to get those combos going that became such a mess-o'-buttons with the other Spidey games.The webline move and the differences between the suits make it much more interesting for changing combos and suits ON THE FLY.

For the span of the game, I can forgive some of the technical glitches and screen tearing because OVERALL...and by overall I have to say 90-95% of the time...the game maintains a smooth framerate. The camera is a little whacky...but for the way the Spider-man games have been, its ALWAYS been that way and it might be tough to improve it without slowing the action down. If there is one thing I'd like to see Treyarch work on next is when Spidey comes in contact with building sides and such while swinging...I think they could bring back the "crawling" button because I've had many times where I just want to crawl up the wall but instead I'm jumping about it.

I'm not very far but I am heavily impressed. Spidey and his allies game models are really well done, especially Spidey himself and I'm eager to see how this game goes.

Thanks for the update Bardoon. I have a PS3 too, so I'm excited to finally get a hold of this.

Me too Krayt, may be after Christmas before I can swing :slap this. By the way, your new avatar is cool.

Yeah if they say it's one of the best spidey games so far that's all i needed to hear. Just gotta get other stuff before this but it looks like a must. I look forward to web swinging around town though.

I TRIED STAYING GOOD...

Honestly I did. I saved citizens, beat up gangs, rescued the city.

But once these started waving in front of my face...

BlackCatFHOrange-1.jpg

It's GOOD to be BAD!

Last edited:
Gotta say that as of now...Web of Shadows is the best Spider-man game ever

I just got done fighting Electro and am going to investigate "the commotion at the bridge".

I also have to add that the script-writing is VERY,VERY WELL DONE. The characters are very true to their comic versions and some of the comments that Spidey has said (despite his slightly annoying voice) are top-notch comedy that made me laugh.

I like the part where he teases Wolverine about a "MyFace" page and then starts saying "Ohh add me as a friend, I'll poke you and you can poke me back!!!"

Back