Sony planning paid PSN subscriptions for 2010

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the arguement that PSN is free. Do you not pay for your monthly internet service? It's not free. Live just charges on top of that. I pay $50 a month for internet service. My live subscription was $39.99 for a year which is around $3.33 a month. So to play on Live I pay $53.33 a month. To play on PSN I pay $50 a month. None of this ???? is free so lets please stop that dumb ass arguement. And for what it's worth as a long time PSN user that has recently added Live I'll admit that the $3 more a month gets you a lot more.

That's actually a dumb argument. I don't care what you pay for internet service. Mine is included with my rent...does that mean that I'm paying $1100 a month to play on PSN??? Should I factor in the power the PS3, TV, and router use into my electric bill????? OMG this is a total F'n ripoff. :banghead

That's actually a dumb argument. I don't care what you pay for internet service. Mine is included with my rent...does that mean that I'm paying $1100 a month to play on PSN??? Should I factor in the power the PS3, TV, and router use into my electric bill????? OMG this is a total F'n ripoff. :banghead

It's actually not anywhere near as dumb as this retort. You just said it yourself, you're paying for it in your rent. Therefore paying for your internet = not free to play anything online. If you want to add up the rest of your bills you can do that as well. It'll still break down the same once added up. You'd pay about $3 more a month for Live service. Occam's razor.

Whatever you like. :rolleyes:You're still paying a subscription for something I'm getting for free on PSN. Enjoy riding Gate's sack. He appreciates your business.

Whatever you like. :rolleyes:You're still paying a subscription for something I'm getting for free on PSN. Enjoy riding Gate's sack. He appreciates your business.

I still play my PS3 online all the time for the exclusives they have such as Uncharted 2. I just buy multiplatform games for the 360 and enjoy the Live service much more than I do the PSN. I was once in your boat in how I felt about paying additional for the Live service and only played games on my PSN. Then I paid the extra, and saw the difference.

WOW this argument is crazy. I own both systems. I pay the LIVE subscription not once but twice in my house since my son has an xbox 360. I can definitely see the difference in the online play with both systems.
What Sony is going to do is microtransactions. You can play online free but you will pay for individual pieces. Like map packs on LIVE except you have to pay for each map individually for example. They premium service will offer discounts on bundles (map packs, armor packs, weapon packs). They will also make it so that people can only play certain game types/areas for free and premium members get access to more. This is how they are going to push people into paying a fee for the PSN. If you don't beleive me then just take a virtual trip into Home. They are already using this model there. This is a tried and true method which Sony has used before on MMO's.
Think of it like playing an RPG and you try to go to a town and you get "You need to be a subscriber to access this area". or
Your playing an FPS online (for free) and the other team are subscribers and they are out gunning you because they have exclusive weapons and armor. This is what you will run into in 2010. Maybe not every aspect of what I wrote but the general concept of it. Quote me on it.

I don't understand the arguement that PSN is free. Do you not pay for your monthly internet service? It's not free. Live just charges on top of that. I pay $50 a month for internet service. My live subscription was $39.99 for a year which is around $3.33 a month. So to play on Live I pay $53.33 a month. To play on PSN I pay $50 a month. None of this ???? is free so lets please stop that dumb ass arguement. And for what it's worth as a long time PSN user that has recently added Live I'll admit that the $3 more a month gets you a lot more.

I also think this is a poor argument. Most of us are paying for internet service for other reasons. If you like to surf the web or check your email, you were going to be paying for internet service anyway.

The only way it makes sense to tack on your internet service costs to the cost of PSN is if online gaming is the only thing you use your internet connection for -- in other words, if it weren't for online gaming, you wouldn't bother with an internet connection at all. But if you're posting here, that's probably not true.

I also think this is a poor argument. Most of us are paying for internet service for other reasons. If you like to surf the web or check your email, you were going to be paying for internet service anyway.

The only way it makes sense to tack on your internet service costs to the cost of PSN is if online gaming is the only thing you use your internet connection for -- in other words, if it weren't for online gaming, you wouldn't bother with an internet connection at all. But if you're posting here, that's probably not true.

It's not rocket science and people can keep throwing in scenario after scenario. Bottom line is if you want to play any game on any console online you MUST PAY for an internet connection. It doesn't matter if you use the internet for every other thing under the sun you are still using it for gaming and still paying to have a connection, therefore it is not free to game online for anyone.

If anyone believes PSN is free, disable your internet connection and attempt to play online and report here how that works out. Then pay to have it activated again and tell us how awesome the free service is.

If anyone believes PSN is free, disable your internet connection and attempt to play online and report here how that works out. Then pay to have it activated again and tell us how awesome the free service is.

What Nat setting should I be on once I pull that cable thingy out? :dunno:banana

It's not rocket science and people can keep throwing in scenario after scenario. Bottom line is if you want to play any game on any console online you MUST PAY for an internet connection. It doesn't matter if you use the internet for every other thing under the sun you are still using it for gaming and still paying to have a connection, therefore it is not free to game online for anyone.

If anyone believes PSN is free, disable your Internet connection and attempt to play online and report here how that works out. Then pay to have it activated again and tell us how awesome the free service is.

Yes, but you are not paying Sony for the Internet connection.
As Hairlesswookiee pointed out, you might as well add the electricity bill.

The fact of the matter is Xbox Live has been the pioneer of online gaming and that's a fact PS3 Fans have to face up to.
Yes PSN has improved, but it always seems to be playing catch up.

I don't want to pay, but if Sony shows me why it's worth it, I will upgrade my account.

YOUR OPINION IS NOT VALID AS IT NEGATES THEIR WHOLE ARGUMENT :lol

So if you get a free jar of coffee, it's not really free, because you have to pay for the milk, water and electric/gas to make it drinkable?

I think one could make the case that nothing in life is really free now is it?

I just don't get why I'm apparently an "idiot" and "riding Gate's sack" for paying for Xbox live? I like the service and so I pay for it. I don't care for PSN's service so I don't use it. I fully have the option to and I have used it a few times. Just don't care for it.

I continue to pay for Live because I need it to play games like Halo and Gears of War online. Can't play those on the PS3. And if I'm paying for Live to play those games, I might as well play all my online games on Live. Makes sense.

So I guess I'm "riding Gate's sack". It's a fun ride too. Those of you who don't like Live, play the PSN. Just don't verbally bash those who choose Live. There is nothing wrong with it. It isn't your money so STFU.

So if you get a free jar of coffee, it's not really free, because you have to pay for the milk, water and electric/gas to make it drinkable?

This is the worst attempt yet. You answer your own question. The coffee beans are free. Anything you require to make it suit your taste is not.

Yes, but you are not paying Sony for the Internet connection.
As Hairlesswookiee pointed out, you might as well add the electricity bill.

Which is why I mentioned in my other post already. It doesn't matter what you throw in on top of it. Yes it takes electricity to run it, yes it takes a tv etc. etc. Bottom line is once you add it up, you'd still be paying only $3 more a month for Live service. Again....Occam's Razor. It adds up the same either way, so there is no point in bringing anything but the two points up. You can say okay well all together for all that stuff it cost me $1000 for PSN and $1003 for Live. Or you could just talk about the point and say it cost $50 for PSN and $53 for Live. It all adds up.

What would you do with a free jar of coffee then.
Sow it in your back yard :lol

You tell me. I don't want the free jar.:D

You came up with the scenario. Free coffee beans(PSN) that you want to make drinkable(play online). Well the coffee beans are indeed free to you. Now what's it going to cost you to make it suit your taste?

Look in all seriousness the PSN service is free, because the provider of the service does not make a profit from people using it unless they chose to purchase from their store, which is optional.

LIVE Silver is free, but all you can do is download demos

LIVE Gold is not free because Microsoft profit from that service.

Back