Sony planning paid PSN subscriptions for 2010

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[UPDATE] Kaz Hirai confirms premium level will be added on top of PS3 and PSP's online service, which will remain free to play online; PSN revenue expected to hit $563 million this fiscal year.

One the biggest selling points of the PlayStation 3 is that gamers can use the console to play online at no additional charge. However, evidence has surfaced that the company is planning a two-tiered subscription model for the PlayStation Network similar to--but also fundamentally different from--Xbox Live.

Sony is mulling a premium version of PSN.

Slides accompanying a Thursday presentation by Sony show that the company is planning a "new revenue stream from subscription" on PSN in 2010. [UPDATE] During the presentation, which emphasized Sony's plans to make its game business profitable in the next fiscal year, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai confirmed the plans. "We will be building upon our current free [PSN] service offering with premium content and services to start the subscription model," he told attendees.

Perhaps to assuage PS3 owners' fears that they would soon have to pay to play online, Hirai issued a subsequent statement indicating the present level of service would remain gratis.

"SCE will further increase sales by offering users new entertainment through the combination of hardware, software, peripheral, and PlayStation Network," Hirai said in a statement given to British outlets, such as CVG. "Especially in the online area, we are studying the possibility of introducing a subscription model, offering premium content and services, in addition to the current free services." (Emphasis added.)

As of press time, US Sony reps had not offered Hirai's statement or further clarification about its subscription plans for the PlayStation Network. Luckily, though, the "current free services" currently offered on PSN include online play, Facebook integration, and Netflix video streaming. On Xbox Live, both of those features are only accessible at the Gold membership level, which costs at least $50 per year.

[UPDATE] Even without subscriptions, PSN revenue is on the rise. For the current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2010, Sony expects ¥50 billion ($563 million) in earnings from the service, a threefold increase from the year prior. In addition to game-related content, the PSN's retail component--the PlayStation Store--offers video offerings, such as television shows and movies for both rental and sale.

they'll still keep the free service but they've realised if they wanna compete with LIVE then they'll have to charge

They better fix their damn service before they start charging people. I wouldn't pay for what they offer now.

So if you aren't paying for Facebook or online play, what are you paying for?

I'm thinking they'll charge for online play soon. They know people will pay so why not?

Here's where the xbox fanboys start their ???? stirring:duh Personally i think it could be a good thing. We'll see

They better fix their damn service before they start charging people. I wouldn't pay for what they offer now.

what's wrong with what they offer now? playing online is fine.

Yes 360 has a better party system and easier navigation, but paying $50 for that which should be free is ridiculous. the ease of use of the 360 has nothing to do with 'online' services or play quality.

Does 360 have better connection quality and/or servers? I think not. In which case, you guys are paying money for nothing.

Yes it actually does. :lecture

how did you come to that conclusion? when I play online I get good connections all the time. Unless a game's netcode or match making system blows, like with SF4...but that has nothing to do with PSN.

Face it, you're just a hater :monkey2

how did you come to that conclusion? when I play online I get good connections all the time. Unless a game's netcode or match making system blows, like with SF4...but that has nothing to do with PSN.

Face it, you're just a hater :monkey2

No I'm not a hater. I don't just sit here and say "um ok I will just make up a blatant lie and post it". I am speaking from experience from using both online features on both systems. Downloads are actually far slower on the PS3 as well. Bottom line. No hate. Hell I will even pay for online through them. However, if I'm going to shell out the money then they better fix the issues and speed it the hell up. Again it is what it is. No hate.

No I'm not a hater. I don't just sit here and say "um ok I will just make up a blatant lie and post it". I am speaking from experience from using both online features on both systems. Downloads are actually far slower on the PS3 as well. Bottom line. No hate. Hell I will even pay for online through them. However, if I'm going to shell out the money then they better fix the issues and speed it the hell up. Again it is what it is. No hate.

Downloads have nothing to do with PLAYING GAMES online. isn't that what you pay your Live subscription for? to play games online, and not just download stuff?

I can live with the download speed for demos and whatever. It doesnt take very long for me anyway with my internet connection.

Like i said, 360 you do get more 'features' but is that really enough to justify an annual fee? not for me, sure they are nice to have but i could care less about features if that's all im paying for.

Downloads have nothing to do with PLAYING GAMES online. isn't that what you pay your Live subscription for? to play games online, and not just download stuff?

I can live with the download speed for demos and whatever. It doesnt take very long for me anyway with my internet connection.

Like i said, 360 you do get more 'features' but is that really enough to justify an annual fee? not for me, sure they are nice to have but i could care less about features if that's all im paying for.

Sounds like you are trying to justify this to yourself and not Badmoon.

It will be OK man. Sony has you by the balls anyway. Just pay them the money. :D

I have both systems and play both of them online. IMHO, Live is better, but isn't significantly better than PSN to justify the ~$60 fee.

With PSN's free service I am obviously more forgiving of technical issues, but deservedly so.

Whatever.
what's wrong with what they offer now? playing online is fine.

Yes 360 has a better party system and easier navigation, but paying $50 for that which should be free is ridiculous. the ease of use of the 360 has nothing to do with 'online' services or play quality.

Does 360 have better connection quality and/or servers? I think not. In which case, you guys are paying money for nothing.

:lecture This.

Sounds like you are trying to justify this to yourself and not Badmoon.

It will be OK man. Sony has you by the balls anyway. Just pay them the money. :D

Wrong. Sounds like you guys are just trying to justify paying $50 a year for LIVE. "Speaking from experience" I haven't had any problems with PSN. I don't need the Sh#t bells and whistles of LIVE anymore so I'm never paying for it again. Now that we have Netflix on PSN that leveled the playing field.

~~Its retarded to pay for something that should be for free. Have fun playing dress up with your avatars.

Back