Statue Snow Troll Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, as incredible as it looks, I would have preferred a Troll we would recognise from the films, but that's just me.

That's kind of my thinking as well. If it was something we could recognize from the films, or even something that has some reference to Tolkien's writings (beyond a Rohirrim fireside tale/legend about Helm Hammerhand), I would be very inclined to buy it.

But considering how pretty much every online LOTR site acknowledges that snow trolls were an invented creature for the games, it just doesn't pull me in, despite the amazing detail of the sculpt.

I guess, to me, it feels like something "inspired by" LOTR, rather than "from the pages of" LOTR. And that isn't quite enough to justify a $400+ purchase.

Wow, the Snow Troll looks amazing. Total homerun by Sideshow in terms of design and execution. Can't wait to see this guy at SDCC!

Glad to see some agree with me

Awesome looking piece though

Ps.have u seen the detailed base?...if it is 1/6 then $450 easy

Snow-trolls are canon, if only by reputation:

"Soon afterwards the Long Winter began, and Rohan lay under snow for nearly five months. Both the Rohirrim and their foes suffered grievously in the cold, and in the dearth that lasted longer. In Helm's Deep there was a great hunger after Yule; and being in despair, against the king's counsel, Hama his younger son led men out on a sortie and foray, but they were lost in the snow. Helm grew fierce and gaunt for famine and grief; and the dread of him alone was worth many men in the defence of the Burg. He would go out by himself, clad in white, and stalk like a snow-troll into the camps of his enemies, and slay many men with his hands. It was believed that if he bore no weapon no weapon would bite on him. The Dunlendings said that if he could find no food he ate men. That tale lasted long in Dunland."

The Lord of the Rings, 1066. (Appendix A)

Snow-trolls are canon, if only by reputation:

"Soon afterwards the Long Winter began, and Rohan lay under snow for nearly five months. Both the Rohirrim and their foes suffered grievously in the cold, and in the dearth that lasted longer. In Helm's Deep there was a great hunger after Yule; and being in despair, against the king's counsel, Hama his younger son led men out on a sortie and foray, but they were lost in the snow. Helm grew fierce and gaunt for famine and grief; and the dread of him alone was worth many men in the defence of the Burg. He would go out by himself, clad in white, and stalk like a snow-troll into the camps of his enemies, and slay many men with his hands. It was believed that if he bore no weapon no weapon would bite on him. The Dunlendings said that if he could find no food he ate men. That tale lasted long in Dunland."

The Lord of the Rings, 1066. (Appendix A)
I know the reference. It is the "fireside tale/legend" I spoke of ;). But beyond that, there is no reference that such creatures actually existed anywhere in any of Tolkien's writings. The creature could have been (and IMO was) the creation of Rohirrim storytellers' imaginations.

If anyone likes the statue and can justify the price, by all means, buy it and enjoy it! I think that's awesome. Just don't expect everyone to agree with your reasoning, because that ain't gonna happen :).

At least I'll be able to see this guy at SDCC. :yess:

Hell yeah :hi5:

I know the reference. It is the "fireside tale/legend" I spoke of ;). But beyond that, there is no reference that such creatures actually existed anywhere in any of Tolkien's writings. The creature could have been (and IMO was) the creation of Rohirrim storytellers' imaginations.

Who created the Rohirrim storytellers though? :wink1:

If anyone likes the statue and can justify the price, by all means, buy it and enjoy it! I think that's awesome. Just don't expect everyone to agree with your reasoning, because that ain't gonna happen :).

I will. No worries. :duff Don't expect anyone to do so. :)

Who created the Rohirrim storytellers though? :wink1:

I knew someone would say that! :lol

Maybe I'll get lucky and win one of these bad boys in a contest, like during Spook this year. I'd love to have one, just not at the price I'm sure it will command.

I guess that's the final factor for me. With all of the other pieces coming out in the maquette line (and in the Buffy line), I have to focus my attention on what matters most. And right now, this would be at the bottom of my want list.

I knew someone would say that! :lol

Maybe I'll get lucky and win one of these bad boys in a contest, like during Spook this year. I'd love to have one, just not at the price I'm sure it will command.

I guess that's the final factor for me. With all of the other pieces coming out in the maquette line (and in the Buffy line), I have to focus my attention on what matters most. And right now, this would be at the bottom of my want list.

Well, you knew I would go there. :lol For debate if nothing else. :lol

If it comes in at $450 thats only $150 more than the CT back in the day. Thats not bad at all.

I understand. For me personally I would choose LOTR of everything else I collect but try to mix in other things too. :duff

I know the reference. It is the "fireside tale/legend" I spoke of ;).

Just curious if you view all of the material in the appendices that way. Tolkien makes the reference/comparison himself, and it is not a quote from the Rohirrim nor is it explicitly presented as a mythical or legendary creation any more than the other "historical records" and fantastical creatures found in his writings. It just seems odd to me that with all of the goblins, trolls, ents, wargs, talking thrushes, balrogs, wraiths, dragons and crebain running around Tolkien's stories that one particular reference would be dismissed as implausible or legendary. Tolkien (not the Rohirrim) compared Helm to a snow-troll in the appendices, and to me it's just one more little imaginative detail like countless others. The oliphaunts were just fireside tales until Sam saw one and discovered the source of the legend.

Personally, I don't know if I would order this guy. The fact that they are basing it off the video game is kind of a turn-off for me. However, that is one thing that is so cool about middle-earth, the characters that populate it are so diverse and the possibilities in this line are almost too many to count.

does look like its gonna be 1/6 scale when you compare to the guy next to it but we ll have to wait and see

Just curious if you view all of the material in the appendices that way. Tolkien makes the reference/comparison himself, and it is not a quote from the Rohirrim nor is it explicitly presented as a mythical or legendary creation any more than the other "historical records" and fantastical creatures found in his writings. It just seems odd to me that with all of the goblins, trolls, ents, wargs, talking thrushes, balrogs, wraiths, dragons and crebain running around Tolkien's stories that one particular reference would be dismissed as implausible or legendary. Tolkien (not the Rohirrim) compared Helm to a snow-troll in the appendices, and to me it's just one more little imaginative detail like countless others. The oliphaunts were just fireside tales until Sam saw one and discovered the source of the legend.

I have a book called "The Characters of Middle-Earth" by Brian Day and in the part about Trolls it mentions Snow Trolls. It lists them among the types of Trolls roaming Middle Earth. As I said I look at this piece like the others as an alternative look at Trolls we might have see if everyone of them was put on screen.

Yeah, it was towards the end of the line.

Here's one I took of the one I had a long time ago.

BattleTrollFront.jpg

Back