Statue Snow Troll Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love for them to revisit this version of Troll and do it the size of the Snow Troll.

Just curious if you view all of the material in the appendices that way. Tolkien makes the reference/comparison himself, and it is not a quote from the Rohirrim nor is it explicitly presented as a mythical or legendary creation any more than the other "historical records" and fantastical creatures found in his writings. It just seems odd to me that with all of the goblins, trolls, ents, wargs, talking thrushes, balrogs, wraiths, dragons and crebain running around Tolkien's stories that one particular reference would be dismissed as implausible or legendary. Tolkien (not the Rohirrim) compared Helm to a snow-troll in the appendices, and to me it's just one more little imaginative detail like countless others. The oliphaunts were just fireside tales until Sam saw one and discovered the source of the legend.
I guess it depends on how you interpret the appendices. In the preface to Appendix A, we read that the selections contained there were taken from accounts given by various characters in Middle-earth. For example, it states that section III (Durin's Folk) was "probably derived from Gimli the Dwarf".

Based on that, I assert (and have always believed) that all of the writings in Appendix A are presented as being accounts of events, as recorded by the peoples of Middle-earth, and then abridged by the author (within the context of the fictional universe, at least ;)).

In fact, I have always considered the appendices to have been intended to be part of Bilbo/Frodo's work in the Red Book, not Tolkien's reference material. If you take my meaning, sir ;).

Therefore, I view the account of the Long Winter as being the tale as told to Bilbo or Frodo by the Rohirrim.

As for oliphaunts, I'm not sure I see the correlation. They do appear in the narrative of the story, so they are therefore unquestionably "real" creatures in Middle-earth. Snow trolls, on the other hand, are only mentioned once, in one account of a story told in the appendices, and even then, it is not by direct reference, but rather by vague dramatic comparison (unless you believe that Helm Hammerhand was 12 feet tall :D).

Also, I don't recall saying that they were implausible, only that (outside of one off-hand comment in an unrelated account) they are never mentioned anywhere. Even putting that aside, and even if (purely for the sake of the discussion) I were to concede that snow trolls did in fact walk the northern lands of Middle-earth, that doesn't change my opinion in the least. The creature was never mentioned anywhere in the narrative, either book or film, and therefore has much less appeal to me than any creature who was so mentioned.

If someone were to offer one to me as a gift, would I accept it and display it? Of course! Will I be spending $450 to purchase one? Not gonna happen.

Last edited:
I think the Appendix A is as you said being told by info told to Frodo and Bilbo. However, I think what they're saying in that section are things that existed in their world. Like I said the characters of Middle-Earth book mentions them as being a race of Trolls in Middle-Earth.

I think the Appendix A is as you said being told by info told to Frodo and Bilbo. However, I think what they're saying in that section are things that existed in their world. Like I said the characters of Middle-Earth book mentions them as being a race of Trolls in Middle-Earth.
I'm sure it does, but don't think I would consider that particular book to be canon.

I'm sure it does, but don't think I would consider that particular book to be canon.

Its information mentions canon information for every other LOTR book out there. For me personally its mentioned in the appendices and I look at it more as fact than fairy tale. If others don't thats great but its not gonna change my mind on the subject. As far as me not owning it because it didn't appear on screen or within the main story thats not an issue. It looks really freaking cool and for me a must own item. If others don't thats cool.

Have the original Troll and a much bigger kit so I'm good. If they were to produce a 1/4 scale version I'd have to bit the bullet. This looks very nice.

Have to say I'm surprised they didn't produce some of the other Trolls which were in the movie.

Hey, RoboDad, thanks for your response! I think I understand where you're coming from.

I think that with all of the existing troll statues and busts, the Sideshow team probably wanted to tackle something we haven't seen before. I'm sure that it doesn't hurt their licensing relationship when they produce items to cross promote the upcoming video game--much like Gentle Giant doing Force Unleashed busts.

At any rate, it was really reassuring to once again hear them reiterate in that video the priority they've given to releasing the entire Fellowship. I hope the first of the two hobbit pieces will be up for order this fall--hopefully Merry and Pippin, as another way to recognize characters in this line who have been neglected in others.

I'll buy a 1/4 scale Cave Troll.

Based on the size of the figure this looks much smaller than 1/6 scale but will have to wait and see.

Not sure if I will get this one or not. I can appreciate that SS is offering us something totally new and different. But, I would of preferred a Cave Troll or one of the Trolls at Mordor, etc.

It is nice to see SS mention in the video a couple times about finishing the Fellowship in this line. Even if Boromir, is this lines version of Weta's Pippin (Gondor Pippin).

I think the different costumes will work for the Fellowship if the Hobbits are in different costumes as well, Merry in Rohan, Pippin in FOTR, and maybe Sam & Frodo in Orc Armor.

Like I just posted in the Boromir thread:

"Actually, I was just thinking...along with this different take on Boromir, it kinda make sense to do the Snow Troll. It's something different as well, this line is like a breath of fresh air for LOTR collectors, I tell ya...."

It is nice to see SS mention in the video a couple times about finishing the Fellowship in this line. Even if Boromir, is this lines version of Weta's Pippin (Gondor Pippin).

Yeah they are making that one of the selling points of the line. That's why they are purposely holding off finishing the PF line.

I don't play video games, but my youngest son informed me a few weeks ago he's getting this when it comes out as a birthday present for me, so any excuse I needed to add this statue to my collection...I just got. :lol As to whether or not this character is true to form as per Tolkien's writing's is irrelevant to me, this bad boy just looks too good to pass up....and I'm pretty sure he's not going to look out of place in the least when displayed alongside any movie-related versions of trolls we are fortunate enough to see produced within the maquette line. :)

Andy B posted this over at Statue Forum

Good to know. Though I think it's pretty clear based on the video [esp. when you consider how small the dwarf appears to be] there's no way this statue is 1/6 scale

Last edited:
No, true 1:6th would be insanely large. :lol I'm just glad that its the same size as the Cave Troll.

Whatever the scale, this looks like a very cool piece. Will definitely pre-order this when it's up.

I have the Battle Troll of Mordor dio from SS and it's still one of my favorite pieces.

The creature designs from LOTR rocks! Way too cool!!

No, true 1:6th would be insanely large. :lol I'm just glad that its the same size as the Cave Troll.

Yeah, the size works for me and as long as any future troll maquettes are in the same size range I'll be more than happy.

Back